shocked

Okay, so with all the moaning and groaning about visual judges and GE judges having a guard background, not one of you brings up the point that Scot Chandler runs the visual and program of Blue Devils. Any person that knows anything about color guard, knows that Scot Chandler is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest name in Color Guard. But we don't talk about that, because saying anything against the beloved BD would be terrible! I personally feel that Chandler has done some amazing stuff with BD... but OMG! He's a guard person! Run in terror everyone!

While Scott Chandler is a "guard" person, like Michael Gaines, he's also a very talented muscian.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I did was google it. Opus10. Loveland High School, Legacy High School

So he is not completely in the dark about where William has taught, but there is inaccuracy in his logic (by the way william has never been a part of Opus 10 - only Oracle - google it and then read). I would imagine that all judges, just like all the folks here, have preferences and direct ties to all the drum corps in one way or another. Everyone feels like they have been screwed one way or another. Just ask any BK hornline people from 1999 or 2000 about Andy Poor. How could you be a judge and not be associated in some way? Its always funny to see how parinoid people get when there is really nothing one can do about the situation. If it gets as bad as pro basketball officiating i guess then DCI has a problem, but until then I really dont see any way around the situation.

I would also like to add that drum corps is not judged on crowd reaction - even GE captions. If you would truly like to understand how they are judged, get your hands on some of the scoring sheets. They explain each section and what each box of excellence entails - very interesting read for the most hardcore drum corps fan.

Edited by MnM

Just for one show, could we determine the placements by an applause meter rather than the technological left footed half step, decibel metered, angular projected, parallactic visual observations. Maybe for once, the majority of paying customers in the stands miight be in agreement who was the best corps. Even if the only explanation was that "they just liked them"{

Pepe Notaro, former outstanding brass soloist, judge, arranger and instructor to literally dozens of Junior and Senior Corps, and Drum Corps Hall of Fame inductee, ( and recently desceased) initiated just such a proposal regarding an audience applause meter..... ( in the 70's). He was absolutely convinced of the need for scoring sheets to reward points for a Corps show connecting with an audience. Today, GE is rewarded almost exclusively to a show integration, demand, complexity and execution and so forth

The audience response to a show... both good or bad..... has been permanantly purged and erased from the judging criteria for all intents and purposes.

Edited by BRASSO

So he is not completely in the dark about where William has taught, but there is inaccuracy in his logic (by the way william has never been a part of Opus 10 - only Oracle - google it and then read). I would imagine that all judges, just like all the folks here, have preferences and direct ties to all the drum corps in one way or another. Everyone feels like they have been screwed one way or another. Just ask any BK hornline people from 1999 or 2000 about Andy Poor. How could you be a judge and not be associated in some way? Its always funny to see how parinoid people get when there is really nothing one can do about the situation. If it gets as bad as pro basketball officiating i guess then DCI has a problem, but until then I really dont see any way around the situation.

I would also like to add that drum corps is not judged on crowd reaction - even GE captions. If you would truly like to understand how they are judged, get your hands on some of the scoring sheets. They explain each section and what each box of excellence entails - very interesting read for the most hardcore drum corps fan.

I did not want to get specific with the links, looks like you found your way to them. Numbers are black and white, percentages etc, etc, etc. Numbers can be tough when they don't jive with the argument.

Congrat's Boston on a great show. Nothing more solid then being able to turn out quality performances even in a year with major organizational changes.

Looking forward to the Denton Recap from tonight and the Madison Recap link functioning again soon. :thumbup:

PR wont pass Crown this season. LOL. I think Crown will pass Cavies, easily. Cavies, again for the 3rd year in a row, is a dissapointment, regardless of placement.

I don't know about Crown passing Cavies easily. It'll take some work but I think they could make it. However to pass the BD is a different story entirely. BD would have to have a really, really, really, REALLY bad night for Crown to just magically beat them. But maybe we might see a miracle this season.

I don't know about Crown passing Cavies easily. It'll take some work but I think they could make it. However to pass the BD is a different story entirely. BD would have to have a really, really, really, REALLY bad night for Crown to just magically beat them. But maybe we might see a miracle this season.

lol...no one is suggesting that Crown could pass BD....perhaps if the season went to mid september, there is a chance...BD is on fire...innovative program, best GE marks they have gotten in years.

lol...no one is suggesting that Crown could pass BD....perhaps if the season went to mid september, there is a chance...BD is on fire...innovative program, best GE marks they have gotten in years.

In all honesty, I like Crown but Phantom has a much better program all around. I saw them both in SA Saturday and was amazed Crown scored as well as they did. Phantom performs their show much much better.

Not shocked as to placements as much as the fact that ALL four corps who competed in prelims scores went DOWN in the night show. I could see some scores lowering but up to 2 points in some cases? Maybe they should go back to having ALL the corps compete in prelims and set the bar that way. :thumbup:

In all honesty, I like Crown but Phantom has a much better program all around. I saw them both in SA Saturday and was amazed Crown scored as well as they did. Phantom performs their show much much better.

you have to look at the total package...not focus on percussion (battery, most likely)... :thumbup:

then again, its an opinion...I think crown's GE is way too high, judges thought so too...Crown is basically becoming the new Star.