shocked

I was shocked by two things this weekend....

1. Blue Knights beating BAC

2. Crown beating Phantom

... thoughts? does anyone share this opinion or am I crazy?

Neither surprised me. Remember, BK is quite good. I was a little surprised to see them in the afternoon prelim thing again. Didn't they go through prelims last year, too? If BAC wants to beat BK, then BEAT THEM already. BK should be given their due.

It doesn't surprise me, since I called it last week based strictly on scores leading up to SA, but I said that Bluecoats were screaming up on SCV's backside and...VOILA!! Blooo brings home SCV's bacon. Way to go Blooo! Look out, Cadets...you heard it here first.

PR beating Cadets, IMO, is a bigger shock that BK or Crown, OP. I full well expected Cadets to take PR. It's a free-fall from here, folks! Fall and fall and fall they go, and where they stop, only the judges know! Repeat of 2006 in the captions for Cadets?

Pleasantly surprised to see Crossmen in 12th with Mad Scouts right behind at 13--too bad there's only room for one.

And I know everyone thinks that I'm an anti-Blue Stars hater, which I am not. I was just really, really tired of last year's Academy-bashing. My viewing of the two corps at SA was my first of each corps EVER. And Academy won that one straight up. This year, Academy seems to have put too much effort into the pre-season indoor thing...a GREAT concept, IMO. But detracted from the summer show and it really shows now. Academy earned my kudos last year. Blue Stars were good, but did not deserve to beat Academy, and don't even mention Nebraska, OK? But this year is a different story and Blue Stars brought it. My former Assistant Squad Leader from North Texas (I taught him everything he knows!), Bradley Kerr Green, is doing wonderful things with the brass. So welcome to the mid-season top 12, Stars! Just remember what happened to last year's San Antonio 10th-place corps and keep pushing!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that is generally new to DCI ('06 was my first year following it), I was very happy with last night's results. After watching the Finals DVD over and over and over, Carolina Crown's "In.trance.it" is one of my favorite shows from that year. "Faust" takes the cake, though. :thumbup: Though I have to admit that after watching videos from past years, the Cavaliers are my favorite..... Anyway, I'm glad that crown is hitting big with the judges now, after already being a fan favorite, especially with last year's "Triple Crown." And as a HUGE fan of PR's percussion, I'm glad they top the charts there. As for that green machine..... They're making a liar out of me. I tell my friends that I try to get interested in drum corps that Cavis are the kings of GE, especially GE visual. I guess we'll see if they can pull that together within I'm taking them to the Atlanta show this saturday, so I guess we'll all make our own judgements then. By the way, what happened to the Cadets? They were keeping pace with BD for a while.

Biggest surprises:

1) Cadets out of the top 3. If you hadn't seen the performance, you wouldn't be surprised, but I felt they did enough to get there.

2) SCV in 7th. Felt they could have beaten PR and pulled into 4th or 5th.

Lots of weird things going on.

And I know this is off-topic, but while we're discussing corps dropping below expected placement, can anyone explain what happened to the Madison Scouts after '06? They were all but irrelevant last year. :thumbup:

phantom has always been a "late bloomer;" they'll be above crown by the time finals roll around, guaranteed.

Really? Since you have knowledge of the future, I want to know who will win the world series, and the final scores of both Phantom and Crown on finals night.

Also, I want to win the lottery. I don't have to win the powerball, so if you can just give me the numbers without the powerball that would be great. I am not greedy

I was shocked by two things this weekend....

1. Blue Knights beating BAC

2. Crown beating Phantom

... thoughts? does anyone share this opinion or am I crazy?

Blue Knights and Boston have beaten one another off and on for the last 3 years. I hardly see this win over Boston by BK yesterday as a " shock " at all. I'd expect these 2 good Corps and perennial finalists to be close to one another and in that 8th and 9th place battle again this year.

I havn't seen anything truly " shocking " in placements since who knows when.

But the" surprises "this year seem to be Carolina Crown beating the Cadets and Phantom Regiment within a last 3 week span...... the emergence of Blue Stars....... the placement of Madison, particularly given all the preseason hype they had........ and the movement downward of The Academy.

Edited by BRASSO

BD first with a 92.375 2 weeks before Finals....WOW! West is (still) Best!!

Crown 3rd....good for them!

Phantom 4th......No!

Cadets 5th......what can one say?

SCV 7th...No way!

Go Blue Stars and Crossmen! Welcome back!

Edited by morganhill

In short:

- BAC is a bit rough in brass and visual. They just need to execute better. They have a super show with GE out the wazoo, so the crowd will eat them up, and I love their ending. They need to clean and be more musical.

- BK is solid in brass and percussion with good musical control, and will get better. They may lack some of the GE highs that BAC has, but this is a case of musical and visual control edging GE power. I think BAC wins in the end.

- Crown is a GE festival like BAC, but with all the musical control and visual mastery needed to compete with the big dogs. They have demand, field coverage, GE, exposure to error, great drill, and excellent music captions, and they have a super guard. Just ask the Blue Devils what having a world-class guard has meant to them over the years.

- Phantom has amazing music and amazing musical control and technical ability, as always. They may have the best brass and percussion on the field this summer. But visually they are good but not great, and they need a few tweaks with the visual to create some more GE, and their guard must perform better. However, in the end I see this one going to Phantom. Crown will not catch Phantom in brass or drums, and Phantom should be able to close the gap in guard and GE, and they always clean the heck out of their visual ex.

- also, I thought the Bluecoats were amazing!!! I might have had them over the Cadets considering that was a weak performance by the Maroon and Gold. SCV is excellent, but I am not sold on the closer, and the Bluecoats may make a run to 5th this year.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

Just a question.......how do you feel about the Cavalier/Blue Devil spread? Will Cavs gain on BD before finals?

If the Cavaliers clean the drill and fix the ending, YES, I fully expect them to be right there with BD. They have passed BD many times right around this time in July. Whether that is possible now, I don't know. They have excellent drums, brass, and visual, but their show is not clean and yet they are in 2nd place. Not bad.