Blue Stars Fan Network

hmn..... I don't know about that. I'd agree that the Blue Stars emergence from semi finalist to perhaps finalist is a wonderful story.

But it seems to me that DCI's decision to not broadcast the Finals either live or on taped delay via either PBS, or ESPN this year is a bigger story.

That fits the bill better as " DCI Story of the Year ", as it has perhaps much wider future implications for the entire Drum Corps activity as a whole in my view.

With all due respect, I don't see how you can think that NOT broadcasting finals is more of a big deal than the success of the Blue Stars, a founding corps member, in 2008 and the possibility of their performing at finals for the first time in 28 years. But as you can see from my signature, I may be a tad biased!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, I don't see how you can think that NOT broadcasting finals is more of a big deal than the success of the Blue Stars, a founding corps member, in 2008 and the possibility of their performing at finals for the first time in 28 years. But as you can see from my signature, I may be a tad biased!

29. Let's get it right. I was there. I'm old. I remember. I lived it.

29 years actually. 1979 - present...

I think the 28 years thing is how long it has been since the Blue Stars advanced into a D1 finals show after competing in prelims. This happened at least twice in 1980. You are correct that it has been 29 years since the Blue Stars last world championship finals.

I think the 28 years thing is how long it has been since the Blue Stars advanced into a D1 finals show after competing in prelims. This happened at least twice in 1980. You are correct that it has been 29 years since the Blue Stars last world championship finals.

29 long, twisty turny years. And I'll try to keep the sobbing to a minimum on Thur Aug 7 and Fri Aug 8 because I'll be there with some of my kids.....

But, I expect, no, DEMAND those of you in attendance WILL be giving BS a standing ovation as they enter the field. That way maybe my kids will be distracted enough that I can get in a quick wipe of the eyes before they notice.

29 long, twisty turny years. And I'll try to keep the sobbing to a minimum on Thur Aug 7 and Fri Aug 8 because I'll be there with some of my kids.....

But, I expect, no, DEMAND those of you in attendance WILL be giving BS a standing ovation as they enter the field. That way maybe my kids will be distracted enough that I can get in a quick wipe of the eyes before they notice.

You got it!!!! :unsure:

I remember when Blue Stars returned to Division I in 2006. As they marched onto the Quarterfinals field in Madison, they got a bigger ovation than Madison did. Everybody was glad to see the corps back in the big time. Imagine what it's going to be like in Bloomington should they make Finals this year.

I don't think my daughter will ever forget that time in Madison. It was one of those occasions when the crowd was so loud, the corps couldn't even hear itself play.

Its definitely a huge memory for me as well, having aged out there. Hearing that, and the moment of silence after "on the field".. as the signifigance of that moment sunk in, Blue Stars performing as a div 1 corps after so long... followed by that huge crowd response... it was amazing, and it was very true about the whole not being able to hear parts, the crowd was incredible in madison. Coming back to camp randall last month definitely brought back a lot of memories.

I can't tell you how glad I am that my daughter is marching with this Corps for her 2nd year - she is the one and only 'Brit' in the Corps

Her dad chose this Corps for her as he believed they were "going places" - he was right! That video just about sums up the season so far for all us BS fans - but then it had to go and pan straight onto my girlie right at the end :hehe: (middle of the 3 guard members)

GO AMY GO STARS 16 more Sleeps 'til I get to see you at finals :tongue: