Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?

couldn't agree more......musical arrangements are FRAGMENTED (in many cases, "shattered beyond repair") with several corps....................

GB

Probably my biggest disappointment with the Madison Alumni Project was when they didn't finish out "Malaguena". How can you take "part" of a classic like that and not at least give the audience the "Happy Ending" they were looking for ?? :tongue:

are you kidding me? have you seen this year's scv audition packet? there are a couple other corps doing this as well.

grooves are still around in dci, and i can't wait for the day when they finally collapse and die. i can't stand that style of writing. it just sounds so stupid. it's like everything in a groove book exists to see if you "vibe" to whatever hippie crapped out that owl pellet of a book you're reading. none of it has any value as far as what's happening around you, musically. the only purpose is to cram as many goofy-### beats as you can behind the horns so you can turn around and say "YA MAN WE ARE SO GROOVIN HIGH FIVE LET'S GO PLAY HIDE THE PICKLE BACK ON THE BUSSES." ugh... i hate grooves.

Guess you're not a big fan of the Vanguard battery? lol...I'll still take their "hippie stupid sounding book" over most..And you must of really hated them in 04..Man that book was groovy..It was like hippie heaven!!!!

Guess you're not a big fan of the Vanguard battery? lol...I'll still take their "hippie stupid sounding book" over most..And you must of really hated them in 04..Man that book was groovy..It was like hippie heaven!!!!

ironically enough, i usually enjoy the vanguard battery, and i thought their 04 show was great.

how is that possible? i guess the world will never know... ($1 to the tootsie pop owl)

SCV had an awesome book in 04, and not too shabby this year either.

Edited by BigSnareline

• 12 years later...

I did a statistical study back in the early 90's. Even with the Blue Devels high scores, corps that did jazz averaged 3 points lower than classical corps. It seamed to me the ultimate winners was Star of Indiana, and booring wins. DCI needs to change judging and add an EXCITEMENT catagory. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, Shawn85 said:

I did a statistical study back in the early 90's. Even with the Blue Devels high scores, corps that did jazz averaged 3 points lower than classical corps. It seamed to me the ultimate winners was Star of Indiana, and booring wins. DCI needs to change judging and add an EXCITEMENT catagory. 

America's ORIGINAL music always gets trumped by  european classical  because the impression is that the writing of classical music is SERIOUS ,while Jazz is (just) improvisation with chord changes..fortunately the blue coats have not given in to that observation..BTW I'm a CADETS fan, so this is not a HOMER advocacy

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

America's ORIGINAL music always gets trumped by  european classical  because the impression is that the writing of classical music is SERIOUS ,while Jazz is (just) improvisation with chord changes..fortunately the blue coats have not given in to that observation..BTW I'm a CADETS fan, so this is not a HOMER advocacy

What does ancient Greek Mythology (Homer) have to do with any of this?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

235765-0000034336_20061020191519.jpg

• Haha 1