Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'm into music/performances like this.  Loved how the musicians were pumped up after this fantastic performance.  The BD, SCV, and CAV played bits of this piece in recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClOIrJpX08

My goodness, that was fantastic.  I think they’d make finals!

I think it's due to the fact that the 'Jazz Idiom' is considered a 'gateway' form of music that can lead to illicit drug use.  Just like dancing is considered a gateway to sexual activity.  And both of these activities are considered a gateway to 'Hell".  And we don't want to go the 'Hell"...  That's the message in Carolina Crown's 2015 production "Inferno".  😇  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

Jazz requires A) feel....and in todays metronomed to death DCI world with crazy visual requirements....it's a challenge many don't want to take. B(....melodic development can often take longer than the current design trends allow for.

• Like 3

I had a t-shirt Blue Devils sold in the 80's

Jazz....Music of the 80's!

So Jazz was only good in the 1980's says BD LOL

Even in the music industry "real world" this manifests every few years in the following statement:

"Jazz is dead, man."

Then, somebody comes along to literally blow that fallacy out of the water. In the '50s it was Brubeck and Cal Tjader, in the '60s, Maynard (and do not even think of dissing him in my presence) and Herbie, in the '70s', say hello to Chuck and Chick. Later we get Cobham (drum corps alumnus, like Corea), Spyro Gyra, Yellowjackets, Weather Report, Wynton...the d@mn thing just won't die.

Don't fret. We'll hear and see it in D&B corps again, sooner rather than later. Stay tuned.

• Like 4