Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?

The Blue Devils 2002 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

An excellent show to me, as I LOVE "Ragtime" (saw both of its incarnations on Broadway). That opening number is amazing.

Ragtime opening number

Edited by MikeD

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Blue Devils 2003 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

An excellent show to me, as I LOVE "Ragtime" (saw both of its incarnations on Broadway). That opening number is amazing.

Ragtime opening number

Not sure if it's been said before BUT when the OP asked the question one has to ask how old they may be. I do believe jazz  has not gone away but asking the age of someone in this case may be relevant. If you ask some of us, recent may be  5 ,10, 20 or even 30 years ago, ask someone who is 18, 20, 25 or even 30 what recent is ,its not 10 or 20 or more years ago, that's ancient. 20 years ago which is only the year 2000 may be before a poster was born .

If it's been said, sorry for posting, It would make my statement ancient..lol

I guess recent can be subjective, depending on whom one speaks to...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Not sure if it's been said before BUT when the OP asked the question one has to ask how old they may be. I do believe jazz  has not gone away but asking the age of someone in this case may be relevant. If you ask some of us, recent may be  5 ,10, 20 or even 30 years ago, ask someone who is 18, 20, 25 or even 30 what recent is ,its not 10 or 20 or more years ago, that's ancient. 20 years ago which is only the year 2000 may be before a poster was born .

If it's been said, sorry for posting, It would make my statement ancient..lol

I guess recent can be subjective, depending on whom one speaks to...lol

Very true! To me, it is difficult to think of anything in this century as "old", given how old I am!   😃

But you are right, there are marching members who were not even born when this century started!!!!!

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

Very true! To me, it is difficult to think of anything in this century as "old", given how old I am!   😃

But you are right, there are marching members who were not even born when this century started!!!!!

So sad but so true...lol Ive taught some who thinks 2005 is the old days..lol...they don't know what " Old Days are"....but they will..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

And of course it was widely hated by most at the time it was being performed. 

because people only want jazz in the small little shoe-horned version of it they have in their mind 

actually i just didn't like it because i didn't like it. i could have cared less what they played.

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Blue Devils 2003 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

Ragtime opening number

2002, right?

2003 had some Brubeck, so it was a winning show with some jazz. 

Edited by Lance

22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

And of course it was widely hated by most at the time it was being performed. 

because people only want jazz in the small little shoe-horned version of it they have in their mind 

But for some of us, you'd really have to like the original composition, "The Rite of Spring".  While I certainly appreciate & respect his talent, I'm just not a big fan of I. Stravinsky.  There... 

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

But for some of us, you'd really have to like the original composition, "The Rite of Spring".  While I certainly appreciate & respect his talent, I'm just not a big fan of I. Stravinsky.  There... 

I am also not a fan of the original RoS.

I am a fan of BD's interpretation of the jazz version.   I see a lot of jazz influence in what they presented.  

This is the one year I wanted BD to win.  I am not generally a BD fan, although there are years that I love.  

BD's show was quite out there.  Sometimes that means they alienate fans.  That year they gained one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...