Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?


Recommended Posts

The Blue Devils 2002 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

An excellent show to me, as I LOVE "Ragtime" (saw both of its incarnations on Broadway). That opening number is amazing.

Ragtime opening number

 

 

Edited by MikeD
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even in the music industry "real world" this manifests every few years in the following statement: "Jazz is dead, man." Then, somebody comes along to literally blow that fallacy out of the w

Jazz requires A) feel....and in todays metronomed to death DCI world with crazy visual requirements....it's a challenge many don't want to take. B(....melodic development can often take longer than th

2010 BD is a good example but the naysayers don’t mean “that kind of jazz”.  I love that they totally threw down and rubbed it in everyone’s face. Yeah, I’m petty that way. Lol

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Blue Devils 2003 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

An excellent show to me, as I LOVE "Ragtime" (saw both of its incarnations on Broadway). That opening number is amazing.

Ragtime opening number

 

 

Not sure if it's been said before BUT when the OP asked the question one has to ask how old they may be. I do believe jazz  has not gone away but asking the age of someone in this case may be relevant. If you ask some of us, recent may be  5 ,10, 20 or even 30 years ago, ask someone who is 18, 20, 25 or even 30 what recent is ,its not 10 or 20 or more years ago, that's ancient. 20 years ago which is only the year 2000 may be before a poster was born .

If it's been said, sorry for posting, It would make my statement ancient..lol

I guess recent can be subjective, depending on whom one speaks to...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Not sure if it's been said before BUT when the OP asked the question one has to ask how old they may be. I do believe jazz  has not gone away but asking the age of someone in this case may be relevant. If you ask some of us, recent may be  5 ,10, 20 or even 30 years ago, ask someone who is 18, 20, 25 or even 30 what recent is ,its not 10 or 20 or more years ago, that's ancient. 20 years ago which is only the year 2000 may be before a poster was born .

If it's been said, sorry for posting, It would make my statement ancient..lol

I guess recent can be subjective, depending on whom one speaks to...lol

Very true! To me, it is difficult to think of anything in this century as "old", given how old I am!   😃

But you are right, there are marching members who were not even born when this century started!!!!!

 

 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MikeD said:

Very true! To me, it is difficult to think of anything in this century as "old", given how old I am!   😃

But you are right, there are marching members who were not even born when this century started!!!!!

 

 

So sad but so true...lol Ive taught some who thinks 2005 is the old days..lol...they don't know what " Old Days are"....but they will..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

And of course it was widely hated by most at the time it was being performed. 
 

because people only want jazz in the small little shoe-horned version of it they have in their mind 

actually i just didn't like it because i didn't like it. i could have cared less what they played.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Blue Devils 2003 show was about the story of jazz, if I recall. Started with the opening of the show "Ragtime" to show early 20th century music that became jazz, and ended with "Channel One Suite". 

An excellent show to me, as I LOVE "Ragtime" (saw both of its incarnations on Broadway). That opening number is amazing.

Ragtime opening number

 

 

2002, right?

2003 had some Brubeck, so it was a winning show with some jazz. 

Edited by Lance
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cappybara said:

And of course it was widely hated by most at the time it was being performed. 
 

because people only want jazz in the small little shoe-horned version of it they have in their mind 

But for some of us, you'd really have to like the original composition, "The Rite of Spring".  While I certainly appreciate & respect his talent, I'm just not a big fan of I. Stravinsky.  There... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

But for some of us, you'd really have to like the original composition, "The Rite of Spring".  While I certainly appreciate & respect his talent, I'm just not a big fan of I. Stravinsky.  There... 

I am also not a fan of the original RoS.

I am a fan of BD's interpretation of the jazz version.   I see a lot of jazz influence in what they presented.  

This is the one year I wanted BD to win.  I am not generally a BD fan, although there are years that I love.  

BD's show was quite out there.  Sometimes that means they alienate fans.  That year they gained one. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.