Could it happen this year?

If your fans don't know or care about DCA, your shows are mostly sanctioned by DCI, and it's not a Rules Congress year, what good is 10th place when you could've been the CHAMPION?

Exactly

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For being a champion is always better, I don't know of too many perks for coming in 9th or 10th. The Class A champion gets a flag and an encore performance which is a great feeling. While that championship may not translate to recruiting success later, who cares when your standing on the field with a medal on your neck. Having never experienced class A vs open class finals, I may have skewed vision of this but to me, it's always better to be named a champion.

10th place gets no medal and no encore.

How do those 10th place corps feel? In 2005, when I was out there with my mellophone and big, shiny medal, soaking up the limelight and cranking out an emotionally charged limelight.. The Hurricanes left the field, the 16th place corps from prelims getting more attention than they were. What if that 10th place corps were the Govies or Alliance instead? Both of them were trying for that same honor that we got, and yet if they would have done BETTER than us (by 10 points, but bear with me on this) they would have been staring at this other Class A corps that snatched up their glory because they were deemed TOO GOOD. Thanks, kids, great job on 10th place, here's your vote, now just leave quietly so that the 16th place corps isn't interrupted in their celebration of earning that medal that you were trying to get.

Yeah, I'd feel a bit robbed.

I voted for I am a class A champion.

To me 10th place loser is still 10th place loser.9 Places away from being a winner. :tongue:

Edit to add,,

The share points????

Most of the Class A champions get all sorts of huge discounts.endorsements and great trade ins for new horns and drums from many of the Manufacturers.This far outweighs any share points.I have yet to hear of anything from companies for 10th place other than you can get 10% off a pair of sticks and you get to put the vendors name on their website saying sponsor.

Having a championship under your belt is also good PR for getting your name in the local paper and for recruiting during the off season.You can't buy that kind of advertising/recruiting no matter how much money you throw at it.

Think about what that means to a kid that has no clue what DCA is.

AT the recruiting table,,

Thanks for your interest in our corps we were Class A champions last year and going for the open class title this year.

OR

Thanks for your interest in our corps.We came in 10th last year out of 14

Which sounds better? :tongue:

Grenadiers have had endorsements since they were a 8-10th place corps, they didn't all of a sudden come when they won A class in '04.

Edited by TenorsForWorldDomination

it's a catch 22 honestly. both sides have plusses and minusses....and i'm not sure which outweighs the other

I voted for I am a class A champion.

To me 10th place loser is still 10th place loser.9 Places away from being a winner. :tongue:

Edit to add,,

Which sounds better? :tongue:

2nd place is nothing but 'the best of the losers'. Right?

I'd still go for 10th in DCA instead of class 'A' Champs.

Just my opinion.

Magic of Orlando won Class II and also placed in Class I finals at DCI. DCA should do the same thing. Let the score count towards Open and A-Division. If different sheets were used for Open Class and A-Class that could be complicated or if the A-Class corps out-scored at least one Open Class Corps, that could make the difference with scores if the judges are rating the corps against each other instead of their own merit.

Magic of Orlando won Class II and also placed in Class I finals at DCI. DCA should do the same thing. Let the score count towards Open and A-Division. If different sheets were used for Open Class and A-Class that could be complicated or if the A-Class corps out-scored at least one Open Class Corps, that could make the difference with scores if the judges are rating the corps against each other instead of their own merit.

The problem with that scenario is that DCI had a separate Div II competition that crowned Magic Div II Champs, even before the Div I Championships began. And that doesn't even take into account the history DCI had of allowing Div II and III corps to participate in Div I Championships.

DCA isn't set up that way. And frankly, we don't have the time to do it that way. Yes, DCA could allow the A corps the choice of going on in A Finals or Open Finals. But, knowing how DCA is run, if, after Prelims a Class A corps earned an Open Finals spot, that corps appealed to the voting members that they adamantly wanted to go in Class A Finals instead, the membership may give them their wish. No absolute rules change necessary.

Just remember though, that Class A corps isn't GUARANTEED the Class A Championship by virtue of being in the Top 10 scores. They still have to go out in A Finals and EARN that title. It's conceivable that they could decline the Open Finals spot and still LOSE the A title. Now, that would be a big "D'OH!" :tongue:

Edited by Dale Bari

Most of the Class A champions get all sorts of huge discounts.endorsements and great trade ins for new horns and drums from many of the Manufacturers.This far outweighs any share points.I have yet to hear of anything from companies for 10th place other than you can get 10% off a pair of sticks and you get to put the vendors name on their website saying sponsor.

Please point us to this cornucopia of of sponsorships and huge discounts, endorsements, and trade ins. Seems like we missed that boat. :tongue:

And while there are good arguments from both possibilities in this, I'll take 10th in open every time. :tongue:

it's a catch 22 honestly. both sides have plusses and minusses....and i'm not sure which outweighs the other

It differs from corps to corps. Which is why it's maddening that DCA has a one-size-fits-all solution, which is the top ten saying that success is emulating them. There are multiple measures of success in this activity, and different corps strive for different measures, and if a corps' goal is to get that Class A crown then they shouldn't be "punished" for being "too good" if they don't want to be.

Just remember though, that Class A corps isn't GUARANTEED the Class A Championship by virtue of being in the Top 10 scores. They still have to go out in A Finals and EARN that title. It's conceivable that they could decline the Open Finals spot and still LOSE the A title. Now, that would be a big "D'OH!" :tongue:

But that's a chance that they know they're taking, and I'm sure that the corps wouldn't take it unless they felt it was worth it.

Besides, with membership determined by prelims anyway, they've got their membership already. Let them try for their championship. too.