Opera / Theatre / Ballet / Symphony / Sinfonietti / Jazz Clubs / Museu

Ok I've ranted on the OP already but try this on for size...what if we took "The Barber of Seville" and added a rap interlude or a DJ backspinng a LP for effect...or how about taking "Tannhauser" and making the horn leads ALL woodwind or something else? What if we took "Sleeping Beauty" and let break dancers improvised? Do you think for ONE moment the audience that went there to see or hear traditional opera or ballet would put up with that? Drum Corps tradition is the same. What we're talking about here is drum corps and not an EXPERIMENTAL art form. We don't change the classics so why in the h*** would we consider changing what we consider to be CLASSIC? Go ahead and flame on...I don't really care. Nuff said.

Umm.......please read my posts

Also, The Barber of Seville with turntable scratching would probably make me the happiest girl alive.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While I think Kemo came of kind of strong, and ultimately blew his argument in the presentation, he's not the only one put off by your post. You're post is demeaning and elitist. You essentially call people that don't like the high art of Opera, ballet, etc ignorant. Not exactly an endearing approach. Their tastes differ. And yes, if they wanted Opera, they'd go to Opera. Likewise ballet. What is so absurd about that concept?

Let's say I enjoy NASCAR racing. Now lets saw I follow other forms of motorsports. Then I decide F1 (open wheel cars, strictly road racing) would be better if it was more like NASCAR racing (ovals, fendered, slower, low-tech). What's the purpose of making F1 into a fendered, ovals series when NASCAR already does that? We are talking about 2 entirely different forms of the same idiom ... motosports.

Who wants all of their arts to be the same?

Nice response. I agree!

Edited by KiltieKemo06

Perhaps that perceived lack of appreciation is bought on by the fact that, by and large, this site is devoted to drum corps in all its various shapes and sizes, and not any other artistic endeavor.

Casting intellectual aspersions towards the community here . . . simply because you only have one point-of-view to relate to regarding its likes and dislikes . . . is proceeding from a rather shaky premise.

Then again, I just bought a brand new velvet Elvis painting for my trailer that looks good next to my moonshine distillery . . .so what do I know? :doh:

Too Cool. :laughing:

This thread was more about the lack of appreciation I seem to see in some posters on these boards for the other mediums. It has nothing to do with how they are implemented in the drum corps setting.

OK. I'm going to boil this down. So what if they don't appreciate ballet?! Does it matter? Other than the fact that it makes them ignorant (per you).

This thread was more about the lack of appreciation I seem to see in some posters on these boards for the other mediums. It has nothing to do with how they are implemented in the drum corps setting.

Why does it bother you if someone on here does not like Ballet as much as you do ?

This is akin to you going onto a Ballet discussion forum board and asking the Ballet lovers there what do they think of modern Drum Corps and if they don't enjoy it as much as you do, why the ballet lovers don't have the same appreciation for modern Drum Corps as you do. Why should they be required to have " an appreciation " for Drum Corps ?

And why do people in your view HAVE to have an appreciation and love for Ballet , Opera.... or Drum Corps.....in the first place ?

Edited by Matt_S
fixed quote tags

Ok I've ranted on the OP already but try this on for size...what if we took "The Barber of Seville" and added a rap interlude or a DJ backspinng a LP for effect...or how about taking "Tannhauser" and making the horn leads ALL woodwind or something else? What if we took "Sleeping Beauty" and let break dancers improvised? Do you think for ONE moment the audience that went there to see or hear traditional opera or ballet would put up with that? Drum Corps tradition is the same. What we're talking about here is drum corps and not an EXPERIMENTAL art form. We don't change the classics so why in the h*** would we consider changing what we consider to be CLASSIC? Go ahead and flame on...I don't really care. Nuff said.

Drum Corps is very much so an experimental art form, if it wasn't we'd have all the corps playing bugle calls marching in squads with the

drumline on the 50 and a traditional color guard with real rifles.

It has traditions, but all a lot of wiggle room.

While you don't see the Barber of Seville with a rap interlude, you can go see performances of pieces that use traditional styles mixed with new

and different techniques and modern technology.

For instance Eric Whitacre's opera electronica Paradise Lost: Shadows and Wings which I saw in Pasadena the day after finals last year.

It melds traditional opera and musical theatre with electronic music, and taiko drumming.

Why does it bother you if someone on here does not like ballet as much as you do ?

This is akin to you going onto a ballet discussion forum board and asking the ballet lovers what do they think of modern Drum Corps and if thry don't enjoy it as much as you do, why the ballet lovers don't have the same appreciation for modern Drum Corps as you do. Why shoould they care about Drum Corps ?

And why do people in your view HAVE to have an appreciation for ballet , Opera.... or Drum Corps......anyway ?

Why not? I have an appreciation for all things music and performing arts related, I think it's all great :laughing:

Maybe I'm just an optimist. I love drum corps, and I love many many many other things. Maybe it just makes me sad when I see someone belittle something I love, why can't we all just get along :doh:

Drum Corps is very much so an experimental art form, if it wasn't we'd have all the corps playing bugle calls marching in squads with the

drumline on the 50 and a traditional color guard with real rifles.

It has traditions, but all a lot of wiggle room.

While you don't see the Barber of Seville with a rap interlude, you can go see performances of pieces that use traditional styles mixed with new

and different techniques and modern technology.

For instance Eric Whitacre's opera electronica Paradise Lost: Shadows and Wings which I saw in Pasadena the day after finals last year.

It melds traditional opera and musical theatre with electronic music, and taiko drumming.

Post-modernism, baby!

We live in a pluralist age, that's why women and brown people are allowed to vote :laughing:

Then again, I just bought a brand new velvet Elvis painting for my trailer that looks good next to my moonshine distillery . . .so what do I know? :laughing:

Is THIS where you live ?

We might be related ...................

http://www.mytrailerpark.com/

( come on, it's humor )

You just made my point. Nuff said. Go ahead and present that to someone who shows up expecting La Bohemme. (sp)