Opera / Theatre / Ballet / Symphony / Sinfonietti / Jazz Clubs / Museu

Why does it bother you if someone on here does not like ballet as much as you do ?

This is akin to you going onto a ballet discussion forum board and asking the ballet lovers what do they think of modern Drum Corps and if thry don't enjoy it as much as you do, why the ballet lovers don't have the same appreciation for modern Drum Corps as you do. Why shoould they care about Drum Corps ?

And why do people in your view HAVE to have an appreciation for ballet , Opera.... or Drum Corps......anyway ?

Why not? I have an appreciation for all things music and performing arts related, I think it's all great :laughing:

Maybe I'm just an optimist. I love drum corps, and I love many many many other things. Maybe it just makes me sad when I see someone belittle something I love, why can't we all just get along :doh:

Well,that's all well and good, but I'm pretty sure I can find some music out there that you DON'T think.... honestly....that " it's all great and you give it a thumbs up ". It's disengenuous to say how" great "something is, when deep down in your honest bones, you know that in your view.... it's NOT great. As a matter of fact,... you honestly think "it's lousy".

When you tell everyone that what they produce in the Arts or Music " is great ", eventually they'll find those words phony and empty. And when you use the phrase " great " it loses it's genuine value when received by someone who finds that you use it all the time with artists and musicians.

Better to use the phrase" great " sparingly...... and with those MOST deserving of it.... They'll value it more when you do. And it will be more open and honest of you as well. ( just my 2 cents worth here )

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,that's all well and good, but I'm pretty sure I can find some music out there that you won't think.... honestly.... that ( your words ) that " it's all great and you give it a thumbs up ". It's disengenuous to say how" great "something is, when deep down in your honest bones, you know that in your view.... it's NOT great. As a matter of fact,... you honestly think "it's lousy".

When you tell everyone that what they produce in the Arts or Music " is great ", eventually they'll find those words phony and empty. And when you use the phrase " great " it loses it's genuine value when received by someone who finds that you use it all the time with artists and musicians.

Better to use the phrase" great " sparingly...... and with those MOST deserving of it.... They'll value it more when you do. And it will be more open and honest of you as well. ( just my 2 cents worth here )

But these things aren't objective anyway. Who's really to say that a violin is more beautiful sounding than a plastic garbage bin? Are these things merely accepted by Western society because that's what we're told to think? Yes, there is music I wouldn't say I listen to on a regular basis, but that by no means makes it bad. I don't listen to Norwegian death metal, that doesn't mean it's bad nor does it not take the skill of any other aural creation. Applying objective standards to a subjective art is pointless in the long run, it's really about what the individual happens to like. Of course it doesn't hurt to try and see the good in all things, no?

I go to the university theatre about twice a year. They put on great shows!

And I see about 6 dance shows every academic school year (both professional and student). Mostly modern, I do not prefer seeing

the same ballet stories over and over with subtle changes to ancient choreography.

I miss going to the symphony. I haven't been to one in years......

I go to the university theatre about twice a year. They put on great shows!

And I see about 6 dance shows every academic school year (both professional and student). Mostly modern, I do not prefer seeing

the same ballet stories over and over with subtle changes to ancient choreography.

I miss going to the symphony. I haven't been to one in years......

Thank you so much for bringing this topic back on track :-)

Dance shows are usually pretty intriguing and fun.

I'm kind of curious, let's see where this takes us, but I'm curious as to what arts and what not you all support. I've seen a lot of really irreverent comments made on this board, here are some examples.

"Drum corps is becoming like the Opera"

"I don't pay to see ballet froo froo"

Etc etc, things like this, and comments like this just strike me and incredibly ignorant. Or am I just crazy because I happen to like ballet, opera, theatre, musical theatre and other things. I mean, certainly these venues have larger, more diverse and less fickle/conservative audiences than drum corps does, and they make a lot more money (of course it's about the passion and the art first, but you'd be ####### me if you didn't admit that The Met or whatever other opera house doesn't sell out and doesn't please its patrons). Why is it that drum corps audiences are so conservative, what is this fear of things that are different? Note: I didn't say things that were of sub par quality and different, but good high quality different things. Why is there fear? What is wrong with theatre and the opera and ballet, it is art that has stood the test of time and continue to find room in societies, West and East. It wouldn't hurt some of you to go see a play or something, who knows, maybe you'd like it ;-). God knows more like them than drum corps (not that I don't love me some drum corps).

Jeterbeater,

FWIW, my sense is that people aren't criticizing opera, ballet, theater, or symphonic music per se, but rather how those art forms have been translated into the drum corps idiom. The debates here seem to boil down to questions about arranging and M&M styles--i.e., lack of melodic continuity, or recognizable music, screen saver lines on a football field, etc. Yet, even defining what constitutes "the drum corps idiom" these days is problematic as evidenced by several threads on DCP dealing with topics like "is drum corps marching band?" Implicit in such questions is a meta question of "what IS drum corps?" I get the sense that some people here aren't so much afraid of "innovation," as they are concerned about aesthetic quality in drum corps--i.e., the degradation of BOTH fine art and drum corps. Shows that are overly hybridic in their "borrowings" from theater/literature (narration), ballet, dance, etc. have the danger of diluting, or confounding, the content of drum corps shows. Its like trying to be everything (a pastiche of drum corps, theater, ballet, art . . .) without having to be anything in particular. It seems that such pastiche has lead to the current identity crisis of defining "what is drum corps?" As an art history educator and lover of classical music and theater, I for one would rather spend my $$ attending performances put on by world class PROFESSIONALS, rather than on pretentious art amateurs in drum corps. Today's drum corps shows can't hold a candel to the Met, or Chicago symphony.

But these things aren't objective anyway. Who's really to say that a violin is more beautiful sounding than a plastic garbage bin? Are these things merely accepted by Western society because that's what we're told to think? Yes, there is music I wouldn't say I listen to on a regular basis, but that by no means makes it bad. I don't listen to Norwegian death metal, that doesn't mean it's bad nor does it not take the skill of any other aural creation. Applying objective standards to a subjective art is pointless in the long run, it's really about what the individual happens to like. Of course it doesn't hurt to try and see the good in all things, no?

In my view, it's proper to LOOK for the good in all things.

But it's also ok in my view to say some art work, musical genre, musical piece is great... soso.... or frankly is terrible in your view.

Music love and appreciation ultimately does not come down to " what society tells us we're told to think ". It's ultimately personal taste, preference, exposure, training.

There are genres of Art, Music, that I could be exposed to for years..... but would still not like and honestly think is " terrible" no matter what others think

I would hope however the fact that I think something is bad or terrible does not dissuade others from enjoying it if that to their liking.

So long as that person allows me my love of certain tastes and preferences, and my freedom to express my incapability of enjoying much of say ballet remains inviolate and intact should I choose.

If people think Ballet and Opera is great...... good for them. Personally, I think some of it is" GREAT"..... some of it "MEDIOCRE."..... and some of it " JUST AWFUL "

Funny..... but it's just like Drum Corps shows in that regard.

Edited by BRASSO

I wonder if someone quoted a Bible verse if this thread would be closed? :laughing:

tony

No, but apparently Jeterbeater got banned.

No, but apparently Jeterbeater got banned.

For what? I mean - he rubbed me the wrong way on a couple of fronts, but I didn't see anything that was ban-worthy. Maybe I missed it.