The future of Drum Corps

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have always maintained that the best thing to do for the long-term health of the activity is to return to a more regionally based touring model. Essentially do what the West Coast has always done: tour in one region for the first tour, then do the national tour in a way that leads to Finals. If the corps in the Midwest stayed there during the first part of the summer, then did one "national" tour which culminates in Indy (at least for the next nine years or so). But, the problem now is that there are not enough corps in some parts of the country to support a regional tour. But I still believe that it could work -- especially if DCI actually embraced the Open Class corps and All-Age Corps. I think you could get full shows to keep fans happy. This could also be a way for nurturing start-up corps that can build a sustainable foundation in their home region without being overwhelmed by the costs of national touring.

I think we will see the regional tour type of schedule happen much more next year. Corps will stay local until the end. Another option is less small shows and more big shows. If we were to limit the number of shows to Thursday-Sunday and have each show be bigger, corps could stay in one place Monday-Wednesday. I see a lot of small shows. What if we had less shows, but each show was a bigger show? I think this would make everyone happy.

One problem with the less but bigger shows mostly on Thur-Sun is that most all World Class corps are made up from kids from all over the nation. If they were still mostly regional/local kids you could save a ton doing this. But the way things are you could save fuel I guess but you'd still have to find somewhere to house and feed them Mon-Wed since they are 500+ miles from home.

Correct me if that assumption is incorrect but that is the current makeup of corps from conversations I've had.

Some "open" class corps could probably pull it off.

If prices continue the way they are headed, I think a shorter summer will occur.

I think gas prices and the economy will buoy themselves.

If fuel costs stay as they are next year do you think nationally touring drum corps have much of a chance to continue?

If DCI shut down, it would never recover. If it did come back, it would probably be unrecognizeable as DCI.

DCI needs to shut down for a year so they can deal with this whole thing

DCI needs to shut down for a year so they can deal with this whole thing

" INT" would have a real shot of being crowned Champion for '09 should this happen.

Bless their Hearts. The wait will seem like forever... for them and us..... but worth it.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, I have always maintained that the best thing to do for the long-term health of the activity is to return to a more regionally based touring model. Essentially do what the West Coast has always done: tour in one region for the first tour, then do the national tour in a way that leads to Finals. If the corps in the Midwest stayed there during the first part of the summer, then did one "national" tour which culminates in Indy (at least for the next nine years or so). But, the problem now is that there are not enough corps in some parts of the country to support a regional tour. But I still believe that it could work -- especially if DCI actually embraced the Open Class corps and All-Age Corps. I think you could get full shows to keep fans happy. This could also be a way for nurturing start-up corps that can build a sustainable foundation in their home region without being overwhelmed by the costs of national touring.

Agree 100%

One big factor in the low numbers of corps IS the national tour. I imagine more corps would at least have a CHANCE if it went back to regionals.

Even in 71 with VFW being in Dallas, some greats did not go because it was too far for their budget. The national idea plays directly to the 10 supercorps plan.

It might take a few years to get it back in line and working but IF DCI is interested in saving what they have much less GROW the activity, some common sense thinking directors need to step up and be vocal.