Percentage of people who have heard of Drum Corps

In response to what do I have against people who risk their lives for others......

FYI - I have nothing against people who risks their lives for other - proud wife of a United States Marine who has served 25 years and just returned from Iraq. There is no comparison between the two except you are taught that you are the "best" - as a military member you better believe it because your life depends on it - as a drum corps member - ?

Edited by KCCrown1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to trust each other and be confident in yourself and your fellow corps members. While you aren't being shot at, the possiblly

of being seriously injured during a drum corps show/practice is present. Blown knees, concussions, badly split lips, broken bones, etc...

happening more often with a loss of focus or a break in technique.

I am not sure if you are being serious or not but this how a lot of the people that I have met feel - like you are someone special for marching. Seems to be some brain washing going on just like the military. All summer someone tells you what time to get, what time to eat, what time to perform, what time to sleep, etc. Almost like boot camp huh. I guess if I didn't really want to think for myself all summer - it would be a good thing.

What? A couple of summers in drum corps instills a lifelong sense of pride and achievement in a young adult? This kind of thing must be stopped! :laughing: I'm sure some current marching members could reply better, but no doubt they are all out practicing in the hot July sun.

PS - My dad kept his medals, uniform, and photos and stayed close with army buddies from Korea (1951) for the rest of his life. Guess he was brainwashed too.

I am not sure if you are being serious or not but this how a lot of the people that I have met feel - like you are someone special for marching. Seems to be some brain washing going on just like the military. All summer someone tells you what time to get, what time to eat, what time to perform, what time to sleep, etc. Almost like boot camp huh. I guess if I didn't really want to think for myself all summer - it would be a good thing. Maybe that is why so many people have never heard of drum corps - it is marching band - at a much high level - but still it is marching band. Not a whole lot of call for that in the "real world"

You ARE someone special for marching. A VERY small percentage of the world's population will ever experience anything remotely like drum corps, and it teaches you a lot more about the real world than you might think.

Now I agree that some people get an elitist attitude about themselves once they march drum corps, which is something I don't personally like, but it IS a very unique and rewarding experience, and anyone who marches in any drum corps SHOULD be proud of what they have accomplished while the majority of their peers are sitting at home or going to the beach all summer. I am extremely proud of what I accomplished when I marched, but I also realize that the world doesn't give a #### which is the part that some people miss.

It is Drum Corps - it is not changing the world, it is not winning a gold medal in the olympics, etc.

whoa, whoa . . Olympic Gold changes the world? Kerri's Strugg's vault saved the lives of Iraqi children?

That is pretty much what I thought so I amazed with the amount of people who have regrets for not marching.
They say that because they understand what a life changing experience and time it is. There are so very many people who know me because of my limited involvement in this activity. I shared my world championship with the corps members, staff, alumni, boosters and fans. It was not an individual thing, it is by definition a community thing and that is what you gain; community, the experience of working hard with a diverse group and a lifetime of association and camaraderie.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like you might need to march drum corps :laughing:

Not for drum corps, but there is plenty of demand for:

handling stress

performing under pressure

not worrying about things out of your control

accomplishing a goal

working in a team environment

being able to accept constructive criticism

being able to apply instructions immediately

being able to adapt

hard work

KCCrown1, I get your points...some people tend to get off on minor details on DCP. Still, the quote above does answer the "why are you a better person for marching?" theme of this strand, not to mention the diverse people you expereince. And there's definitely something to be said about the type of people who try out for, make, and sacrifices for drum corps to begin with. That experience, in itself, typically makes the drum corps marcher inherently more outgoing than the average person. Of course there are exceptions...

Being from small-town Missouri, I can honestly say that marching drum corps made me a better, well-rounded person.

Edited by scoutsop98-99

KCCrown1, I get your points...some people tend to get off on minor details on DCP. Still, the quote above does answer the "why are you a better person for marching?" theme of this strand, not to mention the diverse people you expereince. And there's definitely something to be said about the type of people who try out for, make, and sacrifices for drum corps to begin with. That experience, in itself, typically makes the drum corps marcher inherently more outgoing than the average person. Of course there are exceptions...

Being from small-town Missouri, I can honestly say that marching drum corps made me a better, well-rounded person.

Thank you for a straight answer - I am by no means slamming drum corps - I think it is an awesome opportunity for those who can do it...

I think the activity has become more obscure as it has aged and developed. However, it is apparent that DCI is working at reversing this.

What? DCI is working to reverse Drum Corps' obscurity? I think DCI is trying to make Drum Corps more elitist. Fewer people know about the activity because fewer people are involved. DCI is NOT encouraging the development of more Drum Corps! Seems to me that they are more interested in paring down the activity to an elite few. Just my humble opinion.

What? DCI is working to reverse Drum Corps' obscurity? I think DCI is trying to make Drum Corps more elitist. Fewer people know about the activity because fewer people are involved. DCI is NOT encouraging the development of more Drum Corps! Seems to me that they are more interested in paring down the activity to an elite few. Just my humble opinion.

I speak in regards to the espn deal they had and the ads in the movie theaters regarding the cincecast. I have lots of friends who vaguely know about it because of me who come up to me talking about the ad and how cool it is and etc. Um, you are confused, I mentioned nothing about creating new corps, I spoke about bringing the activity to a wider audience through the espn deal and the cinecast, sorry to be redundant in this post.

In addition I've run into quite a few people at my University in Hawaii who even know about it much to my surprise...DCI is obviously making it apx 5,600 miles from the nearest coast.

Edited by HPUEuph

As I am living here, I can honestly say that the Southeast, compared to other regions, is the least aware of drum corps. Down here, it's more about college marching bands, and believe me, there are some historic ones. Those bands are nice, but I am very thankful to have been introduced to drum corps two years ago. :tongue: