As we get more fans, I'm starting to wonder....

We all know that DCI's name is getting out there much much more than it was a few years ago. Shows are online and very easy to find (between FanNetwork and YouTube), there's the Cinecast, OnQ educational stuff, and in general I think DCI is doing a very good job of reaching its audience, ESPECIALLY the marching band population.

What I'm wondering is, is DCI's marketing department making kids who are of age to march want to be fans rather than corps members? I know DCI tries to show life on the road and tell how awesome it is to march, but in general it just always feels like DCI is pushing its audience to be fans rather than participants.

We're losing corps every year, and a huge reason for that is membership numbers. Ya, the guys at the top are doing pretty good, but there's been declines in numbers at the lower tiered corps, all while attendance at events (including the Cinecast) seems to keep going up. Every show I've ever been to is filled with kids who are all very clearly of age to march, and yet they are sitting in the stands of a show watching corps with holes. Ten years ago the easiest way for a kid to see drum corps was to march. Now it's as easy as going online or buying a $15 movie ticket.

So does anyone think DCI might have not thought out their current marketing approaches? And do you think they should push for kids to march, or just push the attendance and let the corps get kids to march?

Just an observation on my part, and as always not meant to offend or discredit anyone, especially DCI!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Economics. It's cheaper to watch than it is to march. Have you seen how high tour fees are these days?

I still stand by what I told people when I was marching....

"Ya, it's almost two grand, but that's my entire summer! For ONLY two grand! How much money do you think I'd spend over the summer if I wasn't marching?!"

I think it is all part of the move toward 10 (or so) super corps. With that end, you only need 1500 or so kids to march. You don't see the NBA trying to promote kids to play ball either. There are plenty of players to stock the pro's. If DCI can get enough paying fans (like the NBA) they can start paying the participants, instead of the other way around.

For me personally, it's just that I don't have the desire to march. I prefer to be an avid fan, and pursue school and work during the summer.

I think it takes a lot of determination and drive, and the right kind of person, to put in a summer in drum corps. Not that I have any experience, but I know it's very strenuous and time-consuming. Perhaps marching-age people who have these qualities are just becoming more few-and-far-between?

We all know that DCI's name is getting out there much much more than it was a few years ago. Shows are online and very easy to find (between FanNetwork and YouTube), there's the Cinecast, OnQ educational stuff, and in general I think DCI is doing a very good job of reaching its audience, ESPECIALLY the marching band population.

What I'm wondering is, is DCI's marketing department making kids who are of age to march want to be fans rather than corps members? I know DCI tries to show life on the road and tell how awesome it is to march, but in general it just always feels like DCI is pushing its audience to be fans rather than participants.

We're losing corps every year, and a huge reason for that is membership numbers. Ya, the guys at the top are doing pretty good, but there's been declines in numbers at the lower tiered corps, all while attendance at events (including the Cinecast) seems to keep going up. Every show I've ever been to is filled with kids who are all very clearly of age to march, and yet they are sitting in the stands of a show watching corps with holes. Ten years ago the easiest way for a kid to see drum corps was to march. Now it's as easy as going online or buying a $15 movie ticket.

So does anyone think DCI might have not thought out their current marketing approaches? And do you think they should push for kids to march, or just push the attendance and let the corps get kids to march?

Just an observation on my part, and as always not meant to offend or discredit anyone, especially DCI!

Not to rain on your parade, but I have been to 15 shows this summer and only the Normal Il show was even close to full. So where were all these new fans you talk about?

Not to rain on your parade, but I have been to 15 shows this summer and only the Normal Il show was even close to full. So where were all these new fans you talk about?

Honestly, I was basing it off of the West Coast and major regional shows I went to last year, and the West Coast shows I've been to this year. I'm no expert by any means, so I could be way off in my assumptions too.