BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

Dave, I marched in the old uni, I marched under the old hood. I would have much preffered to march in the current gear then what I marched in.

Wow, Im starting to sound a little bitt like I hated when I marched. I didn't. I loved when I marched I loved who I marched with. I am the Blue Stars.

Yes things are different very different. If I were to have disapeared for the a few years and all of a sudden showed up at a random show, I may not recognize this corps. Maybe not until they were introduced. But you know what I would have said after I figured out who they were....... "Man those unis look amazing"

Again, I congradulate the Executive comitte, the BOD, and any one else who had this difficult desicion to make. You did right by me

Things were going to change. It's impossible to go through life with out evolving. It was time.

I did as well, and I would not have preferred that. As I said: you knew who you were looking at when you saw them. It was unquestionable and it was ######. Now they could be any generic marching band. I'm sorry and I don't like speaking of my old corps like this, but I calls it like I sees it, and what I sees is a corps giving up on what made it special and unique visually in an attempt to blend in to what's currently the hot artsy trend. That's pretty weak. I know I'm going to get nasty PMs because of this but frankly I don't care.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, it's not the uniform that makes the corps who it is, or makes the history or traditions what they are. It's the people filling the uniforms. They know they're the Blue Stars, and I would like to think that they are just as proud to be Blue Stars wearing these shakos as they were when they wore the helmets.

I did as well, and I would not have preferred that. As I said: you knew who you were looking at when you saw them. It was unquestionable and it was ######. Now they could be any generic marching band. I'm sorry and I don't like speaking of my old corps like this, but I calls it like I sees it, and what I sees is a corps giving up on what made it special and unique visually in an attempt to blend in to what's currently the hot artsy trend. That's pretty weak. I know I'm going to get nasty PMs because of this but frankly I don't care.

I dunno.. id say blue stars look pretty unique still, just in a different way.

and what I sees is a corps giving up on what made it special and unique visually in an attempt to blend in to what's currently the hot artsy trend.

THE HELMETS DIDN'T FIT. And since when have shakos been the "hot trend" in drum corps??

I always enjoyed seeing the Blue Stars helmets myself. Having worn both a shako, and a helmet I preferred the helmet. Our helmets had odd issues as well. The plume insert would poke into your forehead if mounted improperly, and the headband was prone to slipping. Not to mention I think hands down Spartans marched the biggest plume in the activity they still managed to look bad to the bone properly worn. We had a slew of tricks from duct tape to hair ties, but we made it work. I know our helmets were vastly different, but I feel no less awkward to wear. It's all about how dedicated you are to the image.

THE HELMETS DIDN'T FIT. And since when have shakos been the "hot trend" in drum corps??

I'm not talking about shakos, I'm talking about the entire uniform. And once again I say to you: I happen to place the decades-long visual tradition of the corps over a fitting issue. I know that's not the cool thing to say, but I stand by it. I've worn those helmets and I know what a pain it can be to get them fitted, but I wouldn't have chosen anything else.

Sorry that you can't understand why an alumnus would have a problem with this.

Time moves on and waits for no one. The good Lord gave us a brain to capture memories with, and to be able to remember how things were.

I would think that checking with the current Blue Star members as to their opinion would be appropriate and how they feel that the helmets would add or detract from their mission. Alumni are just that. They had their turn. If you don't like how something is, then get involved with making the change a positive one in one that you can agree with, or just plainly said "stuff it" if you can't. Too much negativity.

The corps kids can now just do their drill and play without worrying if their "head" is going to fall off.