Temper Tantrum

Typically I am one, when emotional, to give it a period of time to cool off before I write. Inevitably I have learned over the many years of my life that I usually regret it when I speak in this state of mind. This may be one of those times. Read on and we shall find out...

I try to be as objective as possible when looking at scores and I sincerely attempt to let my biases not weigh to heavily on my opinions. However, after the scores were announced for this morning's session in Atlanta my dentures fell out of my mouth and into my soup! While I would like to think of a thoughtful way to express my feelings there is no better way than to just say it...

The Troopers are getting screwed!

I am not trying to show scorn to the corps that placed higher than them today, but am I the only one that thinks the Troopers' show should be beating the Academy and Pacific Crest...and yes...even Spirit? Are my cataracts causing me to be blinded by my own love for the Troopers?

Let's face it--for years the Troop struggled to produce a show that could score...we all know that. There were many years we even felt a little sorry for them. We wanted them to succeed but they were only able to field a pint size corps with a mediocre show design. At times it was almost hard to believe that they were once the powerhouse of drum corps. Time had taken it's toll.

Then, alas, the legend was reborn last year as they fielded a full corps with a show that was competitive. It was clear they meant business and this new look brought them up to the new standards of what it takes to move up. (I have my own thoughts about last year and the scores they received, but that's water under the bridge)

This year they bring out one of the most entertaining shows of the year--one where you can actually feel yourself tapping your foot and getting excited. A show that the kids sell and perform and one where the crowd is genuinely entertained. Sheesh...there's even a melody in it. But, they are regularly slotted to go on first or second--which we all know effects their score--and then they have to endure this!

It is my contention that their show is cleaner than at least two, if not three, of the corps ahead of them. It really is the complete package, and yet here we go again and Granny is just a wee bit upset.

Don't bother trying to settle me down. I'm going to pop a nitro glycerin tablet under my tongue so I can manage to stay alive to see if the judges get it right in the next two weeks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically I am one, when emotional, to give it a period of time to cool off before I write. Inevitably I have learned over the many years of my life that I usually regret it when I speak in this state of mind. This may be one of those times. Read on and we shall find out...

I try to be as objective as possible when looking at scores and I sincerely attempt to let my biases not weigh to heavily on my opinions. However, after the scores were announced for this morning's session in Atlanta my dentures fell out of my mouth and into my soup! While I would like to think of a thoughtful way to express my feelings there is no better way than to just say it...

The Troopers are getting screwed!

I am not trying to show scorn to the corps that placed higher than them today, but am I the only one that thinks the Troopers' show should be beating the Academy and Pacific Crest...and yes...even Spirit? Are my cataracts causing me to be blinded by my own love for the Troopers?

Let's face it--for years the Troop struggled to produce a show that could score...we all know that. There were many years we even felt a little sorry for them. We wanted them to succeed but they were only able to field a pint size corps with a mediocre show design. At times it was almost hard to believe that they were once the powerhouse of drum corps. Time had taken it's toll.

Then, alas, the legend was reborn last year as they fielded a full corps with a show that was competitive. It was clear they meant business and this new look brought them up to the new standards of what it takes to move up. (I have my own thoughts about last year and the scores they received, but that's water under the bridge)

This year they bring out one of the most entertaining shows of the year--one where you can actually feel yourself tapping your foot and getting excited. A show that the kids sell and perform and one where the crowd is genuinely entertained. Sheesh...there's even a melody in it. But, they are regularly slotted to go on first or second--which we all know effects their score--and then they have to endure this!

It is my contention that their show is cleaner than at least two, if not three, of the corps ahead of them. It really is the complete package, and yet here we go again and Granny is just a wee bit upset.

Don't bother trying to settle me down. I'm going to pop a nitro glycerin tablet under my tongue so I can manage to stay alive to see if the judges get it right in the next two weeks.

I'm with you Granny! Troopers were better than the three corps ahead of them in my book. Freaking DCI judging. They are getting hosed because of the size of their guard.

Edited by BigSnareline

Look, I'm not going to get into a "we're getting screwed" funk because one show isn't the end of the world. We had a bad draw and things are tight. It happens. Playing the "poor us" card isn't healthy.

The problem I have with Troop being in 18th is that WE WERE IN 18TH (factoring in inactive corps) LAST YEAR! This year's corps/show/design/etc. is SO much better than last summer. It's such a leap ahead that to end up in the same spot with this corps is a slap in the face.

I'm sick of "Wait for next year." I want some #### satisfaction now, and I didn't get it today.

Edited by Pinwiz

BISP!

K Daddy,

What does BISP mean?

The Trooper guard performed as well or better than every guard in our block today.

The score was too low. Troop should be either beating Spirit or on their heels.

Look, I'm not going to get into a "we're getting screwed" funk because one show isn't the end of the world. We had a bad draw and things are tight. It happens. Playing the "poor us" card isn't healthy.

The problem I have with Troop being in 18th is that WE WERE IN 18TH (factoring in inactive corps) LAST YEAR! This year's corps/show/design/etc. is SO much better than last summer. It's such a leap ahead that to end up in the same spot with this corps is a slap in the face.

I'm sick of "Wait for next year." I want some #### satisfaction now, and I didn't get it today.

You can't control how much better other corps get from year to year. Nobody disputes that the Troopers are better this year than last. But so are a lot of other corps around them. It's not unusual to see corps improve in one year and see their placement fall. It happens.

I did not see Pacific Crest Today, but as for Academy, I simply cannot believe that they are beating Troopers -- sepecially in GE Visual! I raised the issue on a different thread, but one night Troopers beat Academy in GE Visual by like 3 poins, the very next show, Academy either closed the gap or maybe even won, then Troop spread them in that caption again at the last show before today. Now, Academy was about a full point up in this caption. While I realize that Troopers have had problems fielding a full guard all season, I can't understand how the GE Visual score has gone down (relative to Academy) when more have been added. One would think that the more guard on the field would only augment the lead that Troopers had in this caption.

After watching today, I simply cannot understand the visual scores given to Academy. Nothing against the Academy, but that show is so watered down visually that I can't believe that the edge in demand alone isn't keeping Troopers significantly ahead of them. I think this is the key caption in this rivalry, so we'll see how this plays out.

Let's remember, this is just one score. I assume that Quarters lineup will be based on the average of SA, Atlanta, and Allentown. Therefore the current lineup after two scores is:

16. Troopers - 76.4375

17. PC - 76.175

18. Academy - 75.8625

At both regionals, this block placed in performance order. The SA order was Academy-PC-Troop, and the Atlanta order was Troop-Academy-PC. PC performs by themselves at Allentown, Troop and Academy go head-to-head after not seeing each other all week.

If things stay close, Allentown may make all the difference.

From a thread a few days ago...

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry2317244

I guess they only missed it by one performance, Granny

"(Tony L. @ Jul 23 2008, 04:22 PM)

Does anyone know if Academy changed their drill or visual program in any significant way this week? It just seems odd that they would have lost GE visual to the Troopers by 3 full points one night and then turned around the next perfomance and beat the Troopers in that caption. Can this simply be a case of one bad night or did something change?"

Great question. I think everyone who is watching this one is waiting for tonights head to head to respond. Kind of a biting your tongue type of thing. Many suspect what is going on and are waiting for confirmation of the inevitable.

As for me, I doubt a swing that large, in one night, has much to do with "it all finally clicking" or "something changing".

Of course at this level, few care... because after all, it's not the top six. I suspect that Granny cares and is one of those waiting for tonights scores as she is biting her lip, waiting to unleash a new fury?

If you don't have a large and somewhat competent guard in DCI these days, fuggedahboutit.

That's what you get for having so many guard folks judging the visual categories.

I wonder...of all the visual judges, how many of them are drill writers versus color guard personnel who don't write drill?