Question ABout Tonights Show in Atlanta

Just got back to hotel room after spending the day at the Georgia Dome. I'll try to add my thoughts/review tomorrow when I am rested. But I have a question about two corps..........

1. Cadets: At the end of the show the "mother" is embraced by her daughter and they walk off the field. This clearly happens before the end of the show. My question is......the "girl" appeared to be under 13 years of age. wouldn't that be an age violation and therefore result in points deductions or worse, disqualification?

2. Cavaliers: In the pit they use two instruments that caused me to pause. One was a string instrument. The other was a metal flute (not a regular flute, but one played more like a recorder). Question - It might be a stretch but I can almost agree with he stringed instrument as "percussion". But come on...........the metal recorder style flute is not a brass instrument. It is clearly a woodwind instrument. Again.....point deduction?

THESE QUESTIONS ARE GENUINE, NOT TO BE PERCEIVED AS CORPS BASHING. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM ABOUT. But they are serious questions.

Anyone else see this tonight or at other performances?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The "flute" you hear is a slide whistle. Perfectly legal. It's been used the whole season.

The string instrument? Is it a bow against one of the keyboards? If so, perfectly legal.

While I don't like what Hoppy has done with The Cadets, I'm pretty sure he's "up" on the current rules and knows the age requirements.

Edited by skajerk

Cadets: I thought the same thing. But I was quickly told that there actually is no age minimum. I trust the person who told me to be accurate.

The Cavaliers: I would bet the staff of The Cavaliers would check before putting such instruments on the field. What rule this all falls under, I'm not sure.

1. Cadets: At the end of the show the "mother" is embraced by her daughter and they walk off the field. This clearly happens before the end of the show. My question is......the "girl" appeared to be under 13 years of age. wouldn't that be an age violation and therefore result in points deductions or worse, disqualification?

2. Cavaliers: In the pit they use two instruments that caused me to pause. One was a string instrument. The other was a metal flute (not a regular flute, but one played more like a recorder). Question - It might be a stretch but I can almost agree with he stringed instrument as "percussion". But come on...........the metal recorder style flute is not a brass instrument. It is clearly a woodwind instrument. Again.....point deduction?

1. I don't think there is any minimum age limit to participate. Many corps self impose just because of the nature of the activity and how comfortable the organization is with having younger members. Think BDC, I'm sure many kids are very young in that group.

2. A the instrument with strings is played by striking it. So therefore, as my 3rd graders can tell you, it is a percussion instrument. A slide whistle is considered a percussion instrument, so I would guess that the instrument in question would fall into the same catagory.

Cadets: I thought the same thing. But I was quickly told that there actually is no age minimum. I trust the person who told me to be accurate.

The Cavaliers: I would bet the staff of The Cavaliers would check before putting such instruments on the field. What rule this all falls under, I'm not sure.

When did the age minimum get changed? It use to be 13 was the youngest. But I guess it changed and I was not aware of it.

As for the Cavaliers, tonight at least it was not a slide whistle. The player was fingering the notes, at least that is what our group on row 11, 40 yard line thought.

When did the age minimum get changed? It use to be 13 was the youngest. But I guess it changed and I was not aware of it.

As for the Cavaliers, tonight at least it was not a slide whistle. The player was fingering the notes, at least that is what our group on row 11, 40 yard line thought.

It's a modified slide whistle.

The "stringed instrument" is actually a hammer dulcimer, a percussive instrument. (Nebulous description, I know, but that's how they're qualifying it.)

I own a hammered dulcimer. The instrument the Cavies were using looked like something else. But I will yield to you answer.

The "stringed instrument" is actually a hammer dulcimer, a percussive instrument. (Nebulous description, I know, but that's how they're qualifying it.)

Well. There you go. If a piano is considered a percussion instrument, I can't see why this wouldn't be either.

The Cavies' string instrument that is played at the beginning of their show is a hammered dulcimer. While I would not consider this to be a percussion instrument myself, it is often placed into that category as it is struck. BDC has members as young as 8 so I would assume that there is no minimum age requirement. In fact, a field pass was done on BDC and one of their 8-year-old members has been a member for three years I think.