Question ABout Tonights Show in Atlanta

It's a Yangqin.

Wikipedia article.

I'm planning an article on this for DCI.org the week of the World Championships.

Well it does not sound VERY LEGAL to me.... "The yangqin has been called the "Chinese piano" as it has an indispensable role in the accompaniment of Chinese string and wind instruments." wikipedia ref.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I

t's a Yangqin.

Wikipedia article.

I'm planning an article on this for DCI.org the week of the World Championships.

But that's a Chinese instrument...were kotos too expensive? Or would they be harder to justify (plucked vs. struck)? For the record, a pit full of kotos would be EPIC.

well, I marched in the 80's and early 90's and always played on 2-valve bugles! I thought it was crazy when they wanted to switch to 3-valve. and don't get me started on whatever this Bb thing is. :laughing:

I have been watching shows since I aged out 15 years ago and there's always new stuff out there. It's great to see what corps come up with to make it new and fresh. Considering the show that cavies are doing this year and the use of their instrument in question, I wonder why people care so much about whether it's legal or not. I would assume it would make more sense to gripe about letting off helium balloons in the middle of the show as it is bad for the environment. But no... no-one cares about that. ;) (unless that was a topic I missed.)

There was a topic about the balloons somewhere...

My point is that if they are going to have rules limiting instrumentation, they should enforce the rules they have and/or write more thorough rules based on a rigorous and widely agreed-upon system. On a larger level, you're right, it doesn't really matter--which is why perhaps they shouldn't have rules limiting things.

For example, of a corps had modified its 2-valve bugles (through slides, etc) to play notes that would be otherwise impossible to play on a 2-valve bugle (as was alleged in the early 80s to have occurred), would you think the corps should be penalized?

Ditto everyone on the no age limit. When I marched Sky Ryders in 91, our show was Camelot and

at the beginning of the show, we had a kid of about 6 or 7 playing young Arthur pulling the sword

from the stone just before the first hit. He was the son of the tour manager I think

and that was all he did in the show. If you have the Fan Network check out the video - he's shown

at the very beginning of the show.

the real question is - is there any rule that states that the modification of any legal instrument is against the rules? Obviously there are limitations to what you can/can't physically modify, but if some random rocket scientist figured out a way to drill holes into a marching baritone and make it sound like a saxophone, would that make it illegal? :) I know I'm going to extreme measures here with this, but again... there's not much of a debate unless there's a specific rule in the book that says modifying legal instruments is illegal if it makes it sound like or imitate an instrument that is not legal!

It's a Yangqin.

Wikipedia article.

I love it when Boo out thinks all of us!!! Who would have thought the words "Yangqin" and "Boo" would be used in the same article! :laughing:

And yes Mike, I'm still writing that article for you (It's only a year late!)

Edited by Newseditor44

Well it does not sound VERY LEGAL to me.... "The yangqin has been called the "Chinese piano" as it has an indispensable role in the accompaniment of Chinese string and wind instruments." wikipedia ref.

This entire thread proves to me once and for all that all of us need to get a life.