Opinion After Denver, San Antonio n Atlanta

After lurking on these boards for quite some time now..i've finally decided to register. Heres my two cents on this season.

A little background: i marched BD in 1990 and Cavies 91 and 92. I also have nothin but the upmost respect for phantom who over the years has become a favorite. This year ive had the privilege to see these corps perform in Phoenix, Denver, San Antonio and now Atlanta and in 11 days i'll be on the 50 yardline cheerin them all in Bloomington. I have every top six show audio and video since 1989..and have been to finals every year since 2000.Not bragging just showin my background for my thoughts.In my simple opinion these are your top three for 2008 (BD, Cavies and Phantom). Ive read comment after comment from other members so here are a few of mine.

1) I think Phantom definitly deserves top percussion, with cavies and BD following. So kudos to the judges.

2) Visually I think Cavies take this award, their program is stunning and effective and the new ending when clean will be incredible. While i understand BD to be 'absurd' there is way too much running to spots. And visually, though better than previous years i still dont think to be as demanding. And like others on this board feel their theme is giving too much leaneancy with the design. And Phantoms weak link is their show design. Im sorry just feel the designer could have done more with the program given:( I watched tonights programs again when i got back to my room and it just confirmed my opinions and others who were in the stands around me.

3) With the guards: BD seemed to be a little dirty tonight and cavies are starting to clean it up, as the scrores are starting to show. phantom is doing well but i dont think in the end they have the guard to overtake the other two.

4) Musically Phantom is the LOUDest and if thats how you decide a winner they got it, but i think they tend to get a little "blatty" in spots and their quality is being effected. While BD and Cavies may not be as loud, i think their overall quality of sound is much rounder and balanced. And in effectiveness, i know there are some who think the cavies book is too boring but tonight this music for me had the biggest chill factor.

If I could predict the future Im gonna have to say finals in this order 1) Cavaliers, if they clean it up, and give us a little more volume, without compromising tone 2)BD,good program but not sure if it says championship , a little too "sloppy" for me. and i dont mean in performance by the members but in design 3) Phantom, love this corps but a show design that just doesnt do anything for me and can they play loud while maintaining tone quality?

Thanks for readin my post and hope to see everyone in Bloomington!!!!!!

4) Musically Phantom is the LOUDest and if thats how you decide a winner they got it, but i think they tend to get a little "blatty" in spots and their quality is being effected. While BD and Cavies may not be as loud, i think their overall quality of sound is much rounder and balanced. And in effectiveness, i know there are some who think the cavies book is too boring but tonight this music for me had the biggest chill factor.

Go stand in front of the Carolina Crown hornline and after they play their first major hit and I'm sure you will have a much different opinion. These kids are by far a few decibels louder than Regiment, and I say that with much respect to the kids from Regiment.

And for that matter, BD is probably a touch louder than Regiment as well.

Edited by Newseditor44