"Phantom" or "Regiment"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by Phantom Regiment alumni that the corps prefers to be referred to as "Regiment" rather than "Phantom"... but I see most everyone use "Phantom" here and elsewhere.

Not wanting to be politically incorrect or to offend FMM's, which is it?

from my own recollection, "Regiment" is the term used by the alumni and everyone else associated with the corps. Phantom is used by the phans. both are acceptable!

SUTA

I guess it's like back in my day in conversation we were "Santa Clara" but among ourselves we were "the Vanguard".

Of course, back then, THE Vanguard were from Chicago/ Des Plaines.

from my own recollection, "Regiment" is the term used by the alumni and everyone else associated with the corps. Phantom is used by the phans. both are acceptable!

SUTA

You are correct. "Regiment" is used by members, staff, management, and alumni, and "Phantom" is used by phans.

which begs the question... why?

Why ask why?

Personally....I think that fans refer to them as "Phantom" because it's the first word in the name.

As for members and alumni...not sure. I don't ever recall making a decision to call them "Regiment." I just did...from very early on. Maybe it was referred to in that way by other staff and members and i just picked it up, maybe not.

I don't have any problems with a non-member calling them "Regiment" however....and I don't think i have ever seen a FMM who does. But I tell you what...on at least two occasions I have known right away when someone was lying about marching with PR because they started with "Oh yeah? I marched with Phantom."

Well, maybe I didn't know right away...I am sure there are FMM's who do refer to them as "Phantom." But it definitely put me on my guard.

(And the ###### who claimed to march in the baritone section one of the years I marched was just in trouble from the get-go). :laughing:

My guess would be because "Regiment" emphasizes the group and team aspect of the organization, while "Phantom" is just half of the corps' name.

Or something like that.

SUTA

Cooter,

What the hell are you doing on this thing? Reading all my ####-talking? Looking forward to seeing you in few months, dude. I will send you a more private e-mail, so we can coordinate. Crazy to see you pop on here, out of nowhere.