"Two Cents" Review of Chambersburg

OK... thoughts gathered. The following comments are just my two cents, from a fan's perspective.... worth about two cents American, about one Euro overseas. :huh:

Like Jeff Ream said in his review, the kids who performed the pre-show entertainment did a great job.... we especially liked the steel-drum stuff.

And again.... broken record here, I know..... THANK YOU to all of you who came by to say hello to Barbara. You guys really help lift her spirits... and that, in turn, is helping her get closer to being back on her feet. Heck, at this show she stood up by herself (with a little help from the handrail) several times during the show.

Shenandoah Sound is better at this point in the season than I have ever seen them on Labor Day weekend. There are some nice moments in this show... but they obviously are still a work in progress and need a lot of work to move up the competition ladder. However, they have taken an important step in rebuilding the organization, and I salute them for that. Nice to see all those Siegfried/Kulp folks in the ranks... that is one amazing drum corps family!!!!

One suggestion..... I know it might be a money issue, but the corps might want to think about changing the uniform style. The colors are fine... but the unis look a bit on the sloppy side, for lack of a better description.

White Sabers: I really like the uniforms..... they give the corps a sharp, crisp, professional look. And I really, really like the visual design, with the corps using the triangle props to great effect, "framing" the show and keeping the corps in the front half of the field. The color guard is terrific, and really adds a lot to the performance. The horn line..... well, it could be better, to say the least. I think the brass book is a bit over the heads of the players in this case.

Nevertheless....in 2006, I saw the White Sabers at the Syracuse show in early August, and they were rough that night.... I basically wrote them off as a Class A contender. Four weeks later, they were like a different corps...very much improved... and were a solid Class A finalist.

So.... with that work ethic in place, this year they are in very good shape for a Class A finalist spot heading into the stretch run... again, IMO.

Carolina Gold: I like the show concept...and the "ticking clock" sound effect that ties everything together... but I think the visual program is overly ambitious and is hurting the corps' performance right now. Drum line is solid, as is the color guard...... the horn line needs more work. Overall, though.... I am very happy to see these guys back on the field. The future looks bright for Gold.

Bushwackers: Their 2008 "Gypsodic!" program is, IMO, very energetic and refreshing. GREAT color guard.... wow. The guard's work, and their uniforms, really help sell the "gypsy music" concept. A very solid percussion section.... battery and front ensemble. The horn line is getting better each time I see/hear them....I'm sure Joe Exley and his staff will get the maximum mileage out of their troops by season's end. I especially like the middle segment of the show, with the trumpets, mid-range and lower brass taking turns in the spotlight.

I have to be honest here.... I did not get a chance to see all of the Brigadiers' performance, since I was running a food errand for Barbara. So blame her. :huh: What I did see..... a strong color guard, talented percussion section and a smaller-than-usual horn line that still puts out that "Brigadier sound" at various times during the show. The ballad is outstanding..... not only the music performance, but also the visual staging. It could be a real "show stopper" by season's end.

Buccaneers: These guys, quite simply, are the "Gold Standard" in DCA right now, without question. This performance was the best I have seen from them this season. Horns, drums, color guard... all of 'em in really good shape for this point in the season.

The Bucs' horn line already has some "scary good" moments... and just think, folks.... after DCI tour is done, the Buccaneers get Gino Cipriani back for the remainder of the DCA season to add the finishing touches to the brass performance. That quite possibly could move the "scary good" moments to the "stupid good" category.

Two criticisms: the Bucs still need a good deal of "feet work" at various points. And, IMO, I would like the big hit in the "Nessun Dorma" ballad to be more of a "drum corps moment" and less of a "legit classical moment." Translation: It should be a bit louder, IMO. :huh:

Caballeros Alumni: Another great show from this corps, with the emphasis on "show." Every time I see them perform, I can't help but think of the 62 years of pride and dedication that have helped keep the Caballeros' organization so strong for decades, represented by folks like George Hayek, who has been with the corps since Day One in 1946... think of that for a moment.... and is still active in the honor guard.

The corps has an All-Star lead soprano line, no doubt about it....great solo work.... and the rest of the horn line isn't too shabby either. The "drum to drum" percussion feature always get a big response from the audience... and of course the finale of "Cha Cha Cha Flamenco" (AKA, the Hawthorne National Anthem :ph34r: ) gets the fans on their feet every single time.

Nice night in Chambersburg! I do have a bit of a "soapbox rant/critique" that I need to get off my chest regarding all-age corps in general, but I'll save it for the off-season.

Here's wishing safe travels and good results for all the DCA corps on the road to the championships in Rochester! We hope to see as many of you as possible in Scranton next month.... that's the last regular-season showdown of all of DCA's Eastern "big guns"...and then over Labor Day weekend. For me, that means getting back into shows for free. I hope. :ph34r:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Fran --

Thanks for putting in your 'two cents' worth here. It's a great review.

I'm especially happy that you included us along with the competing corps, and your acknowledgment of George Hayek. If there is a nicer, more friendly, dedicated and decent man in all of drum corps, I have yet to meet him. This year, I have the pleasure of lining up right behind him at the start of every show, and it's hard to describe the pride I feel seeing him stand with us ready to perform. It inspires me to play as well as I can.

At our afternoon rehearsal prior to the show, George was hanging out with the drummers, as he often does. As we reminisced about some of the old Les Parks Caballero drum solos, George grabbed someone's sticks and was playing the tenor drum parts right along with us. Believe me, he can still play!

God Bless him! I hope I'm still as energetic as he is, and able to march when I reach his age.

i'll give ya a buck. 2 cents is too cheap :tongue:

I'm especially happy that you included us along with the competing corps, and your acknowledgment of George Hayek. If there is a nicer, more friendly, dedicated and decent man in all of drum corps, I have yet to meet him.

I agree 100 percent, John.... George is the best.

When Barbara and I talked with him at Clifton, he told us he was still lighting candles every week at church on Barbara's behalf. So I gotta figure, if we have George Hayek on our side, Barbara DEFINITELY will get back on her feet someday!

Fran