Can Anybody Beat the Bucs?

Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and end their three year reign over DCA?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and finally end their three year reign over DCA?

• Yes
    • No chance in...
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Who could possibly beat the Buccaneers in Rochester?

• Hurcs
    • Cabs
    • Minnesota
    • Statesmen
    • Brigs
    • Bush
    • Kilties
    • Renegades
    • Corps Vets
    • Crusaders

"As for talent level, the best brass line I've ever been in was '03 Brigs, even though I've been in more balanced lines from the top talent to the bottom. "

As a member of a line, are you really in a position to make this judgement? Take away any hired guns and the Bucs stack up with anyone in talent.

No one was "hired" and you know that. My car rental was paid for, but I would hardly consider myself such an amazing performer that I had to be "hired" to get me there. 70+ people auditioned for 36 guard spots in 2001 - they didn't NEED any of us!

Defend your corps Dave and that's fine, but don't make unnecessary judgments or assumptions.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As for talent level, the best brass line I've ever been in was '03 Brigs, even though I've been in more balanced lines from the top talent to the bottom. "

As a member of a line, are you really in a position to make this judgement? Take away any hired guns and the Bucs stack up with anyone in talent.

No one was "hired" and you know that. My car rental was paid for, but I would hardly consider myself such an amazing performer that I had to be "hired" to get me there. 70+ people auditioned for 36 guard spots in 2001 - they didn't NEED any of us!

Defend your corps Dave and that's fine, but don't make unnecessary judgments or assumptions.

That comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general statement that has been proven true in some cases. Those "hired guns" could be anywhere.

"Guilty conscience, party of one, your table is ready."

i think everyone has their own perception of what hired means. you don't think anyone was hired. i think by allowing them to pay for your rental car, you were hired, bought and paid for.

In any case, this is not about who was hired or not. The subject of this thread is clear and my posting was in response to other posts that may have been attempts to knock the Bucs for being great.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are undeniable.

Can they be beaten? Sure, but there are alot of things that need to happen first. It is unlikely, in my opinion.

Good luck to all performers this season.

yeah but you can say that about every rebirth. it's true they are not the same corps but they carry the name.

OK, then let me put it this way: Sure, they finished 3rd in 1968, but that had nothing to do with their jump up from 5th in 1996 to 1st in 1997.

In the five seasons prior to 1997 (1992-1996), Brigs never finished higher than 5th, then they ran off 8 straight seasons of 1st or 2nd. In the 5 seasons (7, actually) prior to winning in 2005, the Bucs never finished LOWER than 5th. So, the Brigs' run could be considered the bigger surprise.

There, does that square with everyone's history books?

PS: Since finishing 3rd in 1968, the Brigs only competed in DCA for 3 more seasons until 1992: 10th in 1969, 8th in 1971, and 13th in 1973. If you ignore that one time the Brigs placed 3rd, they never got above 6th place until 1996. (source: Fromthepressbox.com)

In any case, this is not about who was hired or not. The subject of this thread is clear and my posting was in response to other posts that may have been attempts to knock the Bucs for being great.

No, your post was an attempt to press the case that the Bucs work harder than everyone else, which is an affront to everyone else in DCA. And your "hired gun" comment was most definitely a dig at another corps.

You're not fooling anyone here. The "guilty conscience" crack is merely another attempt at obfuscating the target of your flames. The term "hired gun" is coded language, and everyone here knows it. If anyone is "guilty", it is the people who couldn't (and apparently still can't) stand the continued success of one corps and use loaded terms to disparage that success. If you were so secure in the accomplishments of your own corps, you wouldn't feel the need to "defend" them here from non-attacks.

Edited by Dale Bari

Hey if anyone wants to hire me let me know ;) lol

WILL MARCH FOR FOOD.

It’s funny this discussion always emerges after the season starts and not in October through December, when the outcome of the battle is actually being determined.

:worthy::smile::worthy:

That comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general statement that has been proven true in some cases. Those "hired guns" could be anywhere.

"Guilty conscience, party of one, your table is ready."

By "hired guns" I thought you meant big name DCI staff guys.

As far as what the Brigs did for their members... keep in mind the Brigs bingo game secretly helped a lot of other corps as well.