Can Anybody Beat the Bucs?

Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and end their three year reign over DCA?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and finally end their three year reign over DCA?

• Yes
    • No chance in...
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Who could possibly beat the Buccaneers in Rochester?

• Hurcs
    • Cabs
    • Minnesota
    • Statesmen
    • Brigs
    • Bush
    • Kilties
    • Renegades
    • Corps Vets
    • Crusaders

Hey if anyone wants to hire me let me know ;) lol

your not a hired gun. sorry pal.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Dale!

Hope the twins are doing well!

No, your post was an attempt to press the case that the Bucs work harder than everyone else, which is an affront to everyone else in DCA. And your "hired gun" comment was most definitely a dig at another corps.

You're not fooling anyone here. The "guilty conscience" crack is merely another attempt at obfuscating the target of your flames. The term "hired gun" is coded language, and everyone here knows it. If anyone is "guilty", it is the people who couldn't (and apparently still can't) stand the continued success of one corps and use loaded terms to disparage that success. If you were so secure in the accomplishments of your own corps, you wouldn't feel the need to "defend" them here from non-attacks.

Right Liz - but so was everyone else's in the corps that traveled a distance...

...which was wrong and we ALL KNOW the end result of that and that's a story for another thread!

i think everyone has their own perception of what hired means. you don't think anyone was hired. i think by allowing them to pay for your rental car, you were hired, bought and paid for.

i know Trish. i wasn't trying to saying that it was you and just you. i hope it didn't come across that way and you didn't take it that way. if you did, i'm sorry.

:tongue:

Girl, I know...it's all good

i know Trish. i wasn't trying to saying that it was you and just you. i hope it didn't come across that way and you didn't take it that way. if you did, i'm sorry.

:tongue:

I now have a name for the all-age corps I would start in Baltimore, if I won a 100 million dollar lottery and could spend as much as I wanted.

"The Baltimore Hired Guns"

Has a nice ring to it. :tongue:

Fran

wow this thread has taken on a life of it's own. there have been hired guns for ever. so what. get over it. sometimes that's what get's you over the hump. i believe bob gaff was a hired gun but so what he was great and drum corps was very lucky to have him. so what's all this about. the brigs were great then and the bucs are great now. you can't compare the 2 corps. when the bucs time is up then things will change. ask the cabs . they went for 20 years before anybody had regular success over them. no body complained . that was the way it was. if some corps wants to beat the bucs then they better get to work and cross their T's and dot their I's. untill then the bucs are going to win. period!

"The Bucs write a Full Ensemble book, not three separate books, blah, blah, blah." Who cares? You mentioned how hard the music is/was, and I'm telling you that I played several brass books harder than that '05 book, before and since. Yes, the '05 Bucs played extremely well, enough to win the brass trophy going away that night, but they haven't done it since. (Yes, I know, tied in '07, but they weren't better than everyone else in those years.)

Ah, this tired argument again. Nothing the Bucs accomplish will make this silly claim go away, will it? I am as offended now as I was in the band room at Twin Valley listening to you folks trying to denigrate another corps for "buying" championships. Sorry, didn't happen!

No, it's not. Pittsburgh is further from upstate NY than from Reading. Many more folks I knew in Brigs/ES/Cru were further than the PGH folks are from Bucs, and that is the furthest distance of any of those you named. (except for Seattle, whatever difference that makes.) Those corps couldn't call a Friday rehearsal like Bucs can. I drove further to Reading than almost everyone in that corps, and my 3-hour commute was way shorter than it had been in the other corps, and there were many folks who were even further than that. How did you measure your data, David?

I measured it by how much I stood around versus how much I was running back to my spot. I was there. Trying to call me on a bogus "scientific" question isn't going to trump my experience. I've already praised the Bucs for their system, as I experienced it. What more do you want?

I don't know about most everyone else, but I've said on DCP at different times that "championships are won when the stands are empty". Yes, I borrowed that phrase from elsewhere, so I don't claim authorship, nor do I own that particular insight. But, I do recognize its relevance, as do many others, I'm sure. So, what now? Do you wish, as TA has mentioned wrt to someone else, for everyone to bow down and proclaim that what Bucs do is "worthy" and what anyone else does is not?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. And what wins is not necessarily what I want to see every Saturday/Sunday during drum corps season. I had more fun watching Bucs than Brigs in 2001. I certainly had more fun watching Hurcs than Bucs in Manassas Park in '08. And, I certainly had more fun playing "Night and Day" than I did "Adagio" in '05, but that wasn't the music's fault, was it?

a question. when you say harder book, are you talking in terms of just the amount of notes? and these harder books you rfer to, did they have a visual package comparable to Bucs in which to play these harder books?

a book is not always hard just due the amount of notes. There's other intangibles in there to take into account such as volume and or wide range of dynamic expression, the visual aspects, the style, the technique etc.

I know, as a drum guy, discussing this with a brass guy is odd, but it seems like the same tired argument i hear from drum guys ( we play more yada yada).

Right Liz - but so was everyone else's in the corps that traveled a distance...

...which was wrong and we ALL KNOW the end result of that and that's a story for another thread!

wow. Hey Joe and the DE crew, Nelson from WV, the NJ crew, the Pittsburgh guys...you could have gotten perks for coming to Shore. ya shoulda held out.

hell, I should have gotten something for going north in 01. what a sucker I was.

your not a hired gun. sorry pal.

Ah was wondering why I hadn't received my pay check yet; thanks for the status update!