Can Anybody Beat the Bucs?

Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and end their three year reign over DCA?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and finally end their three year reign over DCA?

• Yes
    • No chance in...
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Who could possibly beat the Buccaneers in Rochester?

• Hurcs
    • Cabs
    • Minnesota
    • Statesmen
    • Brigs
    • Bush
    • Kilties
    • Renegades
    • Corps Vets
    • Crusaders

when the bucs time is up then things will change. ask the cabs . they went for 20 years before anybody had regular success over them. no body complained . that was the way it was.

Well, if we had this same medium during that time period things may be different. We are all strong and mighty behind our keyboards. Words OFTEN get typed that would never get spoken in a face to face scenario.

We've come a long way baby.............but is it always for the better? Thats a whole other thread for a forum that doesn't even belong on DCP necessarily...........

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got it!!!! I finally figured out how to retire early and still stay involved in one of my favorite activities! Why have I not thought of this before!

I hereby declare myself the Scott Boras of DCA! Any hired guns looking for an agent? I'm you're guy! I will negotiate the best deal for you for the '09 season!

I love this time of the year!!

Best of luck to everyone this weekend! Hope to see you in Kingston!

Peace,

Dennis

I've got it!!!! I finally figured out how to retire early and still stay involved in one of my favorite activities! Why have I not thought of this before!

I hereby declare myself the Scott Boras of DCA! Any hired guns looking for an agent? I'm you're guy! I will negotiate the best deal for you for the '09 season!

I love this time of the year!!

Best of luck to everyone this weekend! Hope to see you in Kingston!

Peace,

Dennis

"Show me da money!!!!!!!"

a question. when you say harder book, are you talking in terms of just the amount of notes? and these harder books you rfer to, did they have a visual package comparable to Bucs in which to play these harder books?

a book is not always hard just due the amount of notes. There's other intangibles in there to take into account such as volume and or wide range of dynamic expression, the visual aspects, the style, the technique etc.

I know, as a drum guy, discussing this with a brass guy is odd, but it seems like the same tired argument i hear from drum guys ( we play more yada yada).

I think Dale was really only talking of the MUSIC books but he can tell you that himself. If I understand the judging sheet correctly, there is a segment for judging "repertoire" only which I assume as something to do with the difficulty and choice of the music, without considering the visual implications.

So if you consider the music only, I think more notes is a little harder than... less notes. For brass anyway. As much as playing long notes has its own degree of difficulty in regards to sustaining, balance, tone quality and stagger breathing through all the dynamics, playing more notes with just as much dynamics IS harder, technically.

And then you have the "effective" side of it. I believe that Bucc's brass books I have heard in the past were a little easier than others, still a challenge, but watered down from original scores (not that it's a bad thing). Still written effectivly and coming with a great visual demand, it makes their show complete and it looks good, and hard.

Some corps wont settle for less (I am not implying that that is what the Buccs are doing, it's a different philosophy) and will take on the challenge of a tougher music book, although they struggle with recruiting and can barely get people in the lines until June, but then they will fall short comes DCA weekend, and that's their choice, and that's why they aren't first.

Now let me make sure it's clear so Buccs fans don't get all offended and defensive. I am not saying their music is easy, just easiER than SOME corps. And I think it's smart to do that if you want to stay on top.

And I heard their book IS quite challenging this season, and I really can't wait to see/hear it.

Edited by Brigscontrachik05

Well, if we had this same medium during that time period things may be different. We are all strong and mighty behind our keyboards. Words OFTEN get typed that would never get spoken in a face to face scenario.

We've come a long way baby.............but is it always for the better? Thats a whole other thread for a forum that doesn't even belong on DCP necessarily...........

well i had friends in cabs,sky, hurcs, bucs, rebs,brigs and i know my feelings and the feelings amounst all of us and my corps . now we were very competitive but cabs reigned and we all knew it. it did make us all try harder. now i will say there were rivalries , e.g. sky/cabs. we all thought our show was the best but we knew where we all stood. i think that back in the day the corps were a lot closer. maybe i'm wrong.

Right Liz - but so was everyone else's in the corps that traveled a distance...

...which was wrong and we ALL KNOW the end result of that and that's a story for another thread!

Trish,

Don't apologize. Not many people realize the hardships the Brigs had to endure.

I remember one weekend the Continental Breakfast only had HoneyDew in Scoop form, when we specifically stated that we required Wedges (Hello? Wedges!). The Mellophone line refused to leave their rooms until the situation was rectified.

And then, that same day at dinner, the dessert cart was late. We almost had to pull out of the show. That would have been the end of the run right there.

Then there was the time Larry Schmidt threw a phone at the concierge ... but let's not relive that nightmare.

But seriously, regardless of the criticisms of the Brigs Dynasty, the corps spent the money on making life easier for the members first, then the staff.

Trish,

Don't apologize. Not many people realize the hardships the Brigs had to endure.

I remember one weekend the Continental Breakfast only had HoneyDew in Scoop form, when we specifically stated that we required Wedges (Hello? Wedges!). The Mellophone line refused to leave their rooms until the situation was rectified.

:shutup:

Just when I thought I was almost over it, you HAD to bring up the HoneyDew wedge incident! :shutup:

Edited by brigmello94

Bucs practice a lot more than the other corps I've experienced, but their membership is more local than those other corps', so they can expect that. They need that time because of the "inefficiency" their communication style requires. However, the staff there communicates much more information much more usefully to the members. As a result, the corps can clean its program to a much higher degree than any other corps I've seen. Other corps do more running; Bucs do more listening. So, their "down" time is higher, but their result is better.

What is the "inefficiency" required b their communication style. I don't follow you on this one. What do they do that causes inefficiency.

well i had friends in cabs,sky, hurcs, bucs, rebs,brigs and i know my feelings and the feelings amounst all of us and my corps . now we were very competitive but cabs reigned and we all knew it. it did make us all try harder. now i will say there were rivalries , e.g. sky/cabs. we all thought our show was the best but we knew where we all stood. i think that back in the day the corps were a lot closer. maybe i'm wrong.

As you well know there were not just rivalries back in the day, there were full out fights that went on between some corps. That kind of stuff doesn't happen any longer. I will say this though, the corps did party more together after shows but then again there were very few Sunday rehearsals. In addition, I can remember hearing and at times being involved in discussions with members of other corps about the merits or perceived shortcomings of this or that corps. In that respect the only thing that has changed is that people do it here. And as Kay said the keyboard can be a mighty instrument especially when you add anonymity to the mix.

Edited by Fastone

Holy smokes...........some of these responses made me dizzy (like I ain't dizzy enuf).........sounds like some of the legal mumbo jumbo I'm dealing with lately...........

Joe the Defendant