Can Anybody Beat the Bucs?

Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and end their three year reign over DCA?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that anyone will be able to top the Bucs and finally end their three year reign over DCA?

• Yes
    • No chance in...
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Who could possibly beat the Buccaneers in Rochester?

• Hurcs
    • Cabs
    • Minnesota
    • Statesmen
    • Brigs
    • Bush
    • Kilties
    • Renegades
    • Corps Vets
    • Crusaders

Fran;

I know MOST of the Buc's are as you say. Maybe some of the att. prob is from some of the Fans. I personaly have Never had a problem with a member. (and I did say Some, not all).

Yes I know about Knowing you are Good. Acting like a Champ at all times. I marched with a National Contender in Both Junior and Senior Corps. Yes We fully Expected to Win each week.

BUT, Sometimes another Corps also in the Top 5 or 6 would beat us. They would sometimes Deserve it, sometimes Not.

But it happened.

I think every corps that has had a major run in D.C A has been labeled by some to be elitist and arrogant, sometimes just because they chose to kinda stay to themselves, sometimes it's sour grapes. There's always gonna be a small element that may run their mouths too much but as an organization all I've seen from the Buccs is class. I give them a lot of credit for making sure not to rest on past laurels. Do they have a swagger, hell yeah they do and why not, every successful corps has. It's just like sports, fans argue about who's better but the players and management focus on what will make them the best that they can be. As we all know, what happens ultimately will be decided on grass (or turf) not on this forum

Edited by Fastone

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Dave Linton was a London Broil guy

I think Dale was really only talking of the MUSIC books but he can tell you that himself. If I understand the judging sheet correctly, there is a segment for judging "repertoire" only which I assume as something to do with the difficulty and choice of the music, without considering the visual implications.

So if you consider the music only, I think more notes is a little harder than... less notes. For brass anyway. As much as playing long notes has its own degree of difficulty in regards to sustaining, balance, tone quality and stagger breathing through all the dynamics, playing more notes with just as much dynamics IS harder, technically.

And then you have the "effective" side of it. I believe that Bucc's brass books I have heard in the past were a little easier than others, still a challenge, but watered down from original scores (not that it's a bad thing). Still written effectivly and coming with a great visual demand, it makes their show complete and it looks good, and hard.

Some corps wont settle for less (I am not implying that that is what the Buccs are doing, it's a different philosophy) and will take on the challenge of a tougher music book, although they struggle with recruiting and can barely get people in the lines until June, but then they will fall short comes DCA weekend, and that's their choice, and that's why they aren't first.

Now let me make sure it's clear so Buccs fans don't get all offended and defensive. I am not saying their music is easy, just easiER than SOME corps. And I think it's smart to do that if you want to stay on top.

And I heard their book IS quite challenging this season, and I really can't wait to see/hear it.

more notes is harder yes, but it has to be performed that much better. just because someone plays a ton doesnt mean they should get points for trying it. you have to perform it, and that's where I was going. Trust me, the last few years I have seen DCA drumlines play outrageous books in terms of density, yet stuff still ##### out. so, do you give em a bone cause they tried? Sometimes less IS more.

I don't get it...if Readings book is so easy, tell me who the heck in the DCA is playing a tougher book? Seems to me that they are holding their own in the content department. And it's not so much the content of the book, but more in the presentation of that content. NOBODY is doing it better than the Bucs. Bucs have an easy show?? Don't we all wish it were as simple as that?

Edited by VOReason

Dan,

Just how do you see this ending :smile:

Nice! Just imagine all the worse ways that night could have gone. :thumbup:

In the spirit of this thread, how do I see this ending? I see 2 or 3 great corps giving it everything they have to go after the current champ. I see the rest of the pack pushing to have their best possible show at Rochester, trying to reach a performance level higher than their previous standard and lighting up the crowd. Isn't that what our activity is about?

May the corps with the best performance at finals win!

I see Dan being thankful he survivied last weekend and looking forward to DINO BBQ

I think I will stick to 1 BBQ meal per day this year. Last year's Sticky Lips lunch followed by the late night Dino BBQ dinner was a little too much.

Although this year, one could (if they so deiserd) do a Sticky Lips brunch, follwed by a Famous Dave's lunch in the stadium, capped off with a Dino BBQ dinner on Prelims day.

Jus' Sayin' :tongue:

Edited by Mick Krackin'

more notes is harder yes, but it has to be performed that much better. just because someone plays a ton doesnt mean they should get points for trying it. you have to perform it, and that's where I was going. Trust me, the last few years I have seen DCA drumlines play outrageous books in terms of density, yet stuff still ##### out. so, do you give em a bone cause they tried? Sometimes less IS more.

That's why I said that some corps falls short comes DCA weekend. Sometimes less is more, I agree.

Haha! Now, I wasn't there for the honeydew, but your reference to fruit did remind me of the "chilled grape" water breaks we had finals day in '01 :)

Trish,

Don't apologize. Not many people realize the hardships the Brigs had to endure.

I remember one weekend the Continental Breakfast only had HoneyDew in Scoop form, when we specifically stated that we required Wedges (Hello? Wedges!). The Mellophone line refused to leave their rooms until the situation was rectified.

And then, that same day at dinner, the dessert cart was late. We almost had to pull out of the show. That would have been the end of the run right there.

Then there was the time Larry Schmidt threw a phone at the concierge ... but let's not relive that nightmare.

But seriously, regardless of the criticisms of the Brigs Dynasty, the corps spent the money on making life easier for the members first, then the staff.