The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

For nearly the last 12 months I have been in Osaka, Japan furthering my language studies in Japanese. Needless to say, I have lost touch with some of those nice things that remind me of home- big steaks, Colorado micro brews, and DRUM CORPS. Before turning in for the evening last night, I quenched my thirst with a taste of "Knight Reign"-BK`s 2008 program and I must say, "That`s it. I have seen and heard enough."

BK-Where is the excitement? Where is the pop? Where is the evidence that BK deserves to be among the top tier corps? I marched with BK in 2000 during which we placed the highest at any point in the corps` history. Even during that hallmark season for the corps, I had this brooding sense that we were missing the boat. I even coined a term that captures this sensation...I call it the "applause curve". As one might expect, the applause curve simply tracks the level of engagement among the audience throughout a given show. My startling discovery? Without exception, each year the applause curve is EXACTLY THE SAME.

Typically we field an "in your face" opener that gets the crowd engaged. Yet, in the following 8 minutes, we never cease to flat line our audience with utter boredom and bewilderment only to briefly engage them once again in the last few moments of our show.

When I take a glance at the top tier corps, the applause curve tells a radically different story. Usually, it’s rapid peaks and troughs and, in rare cases, long suspended highs with brief dips interspersed throughout. The message is simple: the crème de la crème corps (i.e. the guys who are winning) keep their audience engaged.

Please, BK alumni and staff alike, spare me the lectures on corps identity and paying a price for taking a "different approach" to drum corps. Our message is lost in translation. It isn’t getting through to the people who matter most- OUR FANS. We aren’t performing for ourselves out there under those bright stadium lights. We don’t soak our uniforms with sweat night after night, day after day only to bore to tears the people who make our activity possible.

You want innovation? Do something risky that ROCKS the crowd with surprise. A bunch of horn players pulling their instruments away from their lips and doing degage, arabesque, and plie on the 50 yard line just isn’t drawing anyone’s interest. This year looks to be especially bad....a HUGE chunk of downtime is allotted for our wonderful musicians to prance around the field, forming whimsical pods and shapes whilst not playing a single lick of music. Perhaps it is time to REALLY try something different.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting a different result. Let’s live up to our aspirations to be "different" and try something new, guys. The crowd, judges, and fans just aren’t feeling the love.

And with that, the prosecution rests.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope BK keeps up with exactly what they've been doing the past few years. It's been a real breath of fresh air in the mix, and I love the music reps they've been putting out.

Keep up the good work, guys!

For nearly the last 12 months I have been in Osaka, Japan furthering my language studies in Japanese. Needless to say, I have lost touch with some of those nice things that remind me of home- big steaks, Colorado micro brews, and DRUM CORPS. Before turning in for the evening last night, I quenched my thirst with a taste of "Knight Reign"-BK`s 2008 program and I must say, "That`s it. I have seen and heard enough."

BK-Where is the excitement? Where is the pop? Where is the evidence that BK deserves to be among the top tier corps? I marched with BK in 2000 during which we placed the highest at any point in the corps` history. Even during that hallmark season for the corps, I had this brooding sense that we were missing the boat. I even coined a term that captures this sensation...I call it the "applause curve". As one might expect, the applause curve simply tracks the level of engagement among the audience throughout a given show. My startling discovery? Without exception, each year the applause curve is EXACTLY THE SAME.

Typically we field an "in your face" opener that gets the crowd engaged. Yet, in the following 8 minutes, we never cease to flat line our audience with utter boredom and bewilderment only to briefly engage them once again in the last few moments of our show.

When I take a glance at the top tier corps, the applause curve tells a radically different story. Usually, it’s rapid peaks and troughs and, in rare cases, long suspended highs with brief dips interspersed throughout. The message is simple: the crème de la crème corps (i.e. the guys who are winning) keep their audience engaged.

Please, BK alumni and staff alike, spare me the lectures on corps identity and paying a price for taking a "different approach" to drum corps. Our message is lost in translation. It isn’t getting through to the people who matter most- OUR FANS. We aren’t performing for ourselves out there under those bright stadium lights. We don’t soak our uniforms with sweat night after night, day after day only to bore to tears the people who make our activity possible.

You want innovation? Do something risky that ROCKS the crowd with surprise. A bunch of horn players pulling their instruments away from their lips and doing degage, arabesque, and plie on the 50 yard line just isn’t drawing anyone’s interest. This year looks to be especially bad....a HUGE chunk of downtime is allotted for our wonderful musicians to prance around the field, forming whimsical pods and shapes whilst not playing a single lick of music. Perhaps it is time to REALLY try something different.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting a different result. Let’s live up to our aspirations to be "different" and try something new, guys. The crowd, judges, and fans just aren’t feeling the love.

And with that, the prosecution rests.

I hate to say it but I totally agree. BK has bored me for the past several years. They are a GREAT corps but I have to admit that I typically watch them 1 time during the season and then use their performance time for restroom/concession breaks. This year is no different. The other thing that I really don't get is all of the "corps-ography." They roll around on the ground too much. This is a definite trend in DCI overall but BK takes it to an extreme. Not too many corps use the technique effectively. They seem to be doing it because it is now expected and required to be able to compete. Just my opinion. I know some people like it but I certainly don't care for it. I've been around the activity for years so I 'understand' what they are doing and understand the complexity etc.. but I just don't care for it. I would LOVE to see BK take a bit of a new direction.

Good Luck to BK

I don't know - I *like* the direction they've taken. To be fair, though, there's a difference between their 2003-2004-2005 shows, which were very bright / quick programs, and their 2002-2006-2007 shows, which were much more dark, dissonant, brooding shows. (Which I'm guessing is the Shotstakovich / Barber influence.) I don't really see it as one "run" of similar shows - I think the '03 - '05 shows were different, musically - quite appealing and easy to get into.

I'm still undecided about this year's show - it's not grabbing me musically, but it's fun to watch visually. Personally, as long as they stay away from Messr's S and B next year, I'm okay with their style. :)

Mike

BK's show may not be my cup of tea but the judges seem to like it a lot more than other shows so to me that

means their staff is doing what they're supposed to do.

I do find it strange that almost every review I see of BK's show starts out with an apology for the show design and then praise for the performance.

Everyone has their style, scoring trends seem to favor the obscure over entertainment so why not give them what they want.

It may be a snooze to some but apparently not to others.

As a side note, an alumnus trashing their own corps can be very upsetting to the current members. Just saying.....

Personally, I've loved most of their shows from 2002-present. Haven't seen 2008 yet, but I think I'll probably enjoy that based on the potential I heard in the Madison APD. You spoke about making a change to the style of show for the fans, well I know that BK has carved out a nice little niche for themselves, and gained plenty of fans in the process. Maybe it's not a style that will ever lead to mass appeal, but I for one would hate to lose such a unique voice in the drum corps chorus.

To each their own... many people don't care for BK's design aesthetic. Many people do. Next to nobody will throw babies at the end of a BK show, but I'd be willing to bet that very few drum corps fans can confuse them for anyone else.

I took a friend to his first drum corps show this past weekend in Atlanta. I was surprised to hear the BK had his third favorite show of the weekend, behind only Phantom and Blue Stars. He knew I was an alumn, but at the same time, before the show, my description of Blue Knights didn't really appeal to him. He was very pleasently surprised.

Average attendees will most likely never get any of their shows, but they have done some brilliant work. I was 100% completely bored to tears with this years offering the 1st time I saw it, it didn't grow on me the second time, but I would love to see it now that the guys in green seem to think it is sooo much better than Boston and Blue Star. I am looking forward to seeing how much has changed. Or, will I still be bored AND dumbfounded by placement? Only time will tell. Overall though, I see nothing wrong with having a different style than the mainstream. Different strokes for different folks........

Interesting and refreshing to hear this from an alum. Lord knows the Blue Knights have the talent every year to put out outstanding shows. Maybe they should think about changing the creative staff.

I know BK isn't your cup of tea, but do you have such an axe to grind that you actually find it "interesting and refreshing" to hear an alumn call his corps insane, then suggest that they replace the creative staff?

It's one thing to be a honk, it's another to be a honk who disses another corps for being different than his, as you CONSTANTLY do...