The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

...but what this corps and many others need is volunteers and donations.

if they NEED donations, maybe new uniforms and busses weren't a good idea? i hope they'd just 'greatly appreciate' donations and it's not a question of the corps survival.

for the record, in reference to the original poster's characterization of 'typical' bk shows, i think the 2007 show was a definite alternative to what you're thinking of. the whole closer was very aggressive, accessible, and 'classic,' if you will, though surely done with the blue knights unique approach.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BK has had a lot of rises and falls in their time, with years where they are on fire and years where they've fallen out of the light a little, and they are comparing their entire history to a rain storm.....or, more blaitently, Knight Reign is BK's Reign in drum corps, and their history is like Night Rain, a storm through the night. There's Trittico, there's movement, there's dissonance for the years where things just didn't click....and then it ends with some drill from 06 and the big hit from 06, echoing the Blue Knights' return to finals and their highest placement since they came back. The fact that the show is a rain storm is just one layer, and it's all a metaphor for the bigger picture.

i absolutely did not get that, and im sure only about 2% of BK's audiences gathered most of it when watching. i dont particularly care, since i liked the show anyway (though it's interesting to read afterwards), but the aforementioned concept wasn't conveyed (to me) at all.

Judges aren't feeling it - One of the judges told them two shows ago that he thought the show was top 3 if this corps could clean it. It's scoring an 86 - the judges must like something they see and hear.

Fans/crowds aren't feeling it - souvie sales are huge this year. I've been on tour with them for two weeks, and the fans come to warm up and respond in the stadiums. Everyone says the same thing - "this show has grown on me and now it's one of my favorites of all time" or "this show is very beautiful".

I also like to remind everyone that the average age of this corps is like 19. It's a young corps. What they're doing out there is amazing for mostly rookies, especially with the horns.

You may not prefer Rob's drill style or like the ballet emphasis of BK, or the music of John Mackey and Eric Whitacre (and I've wondered if maybe not liking modern composers is part of the problem with appeal this year, just like not liking too classical Shostakovich was part of the problem with the appeal last year) but you can't deny these young people are marching, dancing and playing THEIR show and making it to the top ten too.

I have viewed the show. I liked the sound of the horn line but not much else about the show. There was zero response from the crowd. Somone yelled out "play some music" during the very very long instrumental break.

"ballet emphasis"? no no no not even close.

I guess I would say nice on the ears not nice on the eyes, but I realize they are going for something different so best of luck to them.

if they NEED donations, maybe new uniforms and busses weren't a good idea? i hope they'd just 'greatly appreciate' donations and it's not a question of the corps survival.

Just for some clarification, my reference wasn't just to BK, just corps in general. Just for your info, the buses are rented to get membership numbers up. New uniforms have been on the plans for a few years from my memory. Yes both were not necessities to stay afloat, but i think they were done under the thought to stay competitive and fresh. I think that most corps with fuel prices do need donations. Just my opinion, I may be wrong through.

I have viewed the show. I liked the sound of the horn line but not much else about the show. There was zero response from the crowd. Somone yelled out "play some music" during the very very long instrumental break.

"ballet emphasis"? no no no not even close.

I guess I would say nice on the ears not nice on the eyes, but I realize they are going for something different so best of luck to them.

Interesting what you say about crowd response because they got a good response before during and after they performed in SA From what I saw from the Atlanta feed they got a decent response also. No babies dislodged just a a good cheer it seemed like. I thought and they are going for more of a modern dance ballet type of movement? Are they gonna look like a ballet company? No, but I think most would agree with the idea of ballet being used to describe the body and visual movement. Just a thought. As for the the sounds I agree they do sound pretty darn good and hope they might grow on you visually. :thumbup:

Wes P

Amen to that. Volunteering I'd love to but my schedule won't allow for it. Now giving I can always do and have done. By the by are you the drum major from '05? I really dug that show and it doesn;t always get the press.

WP

Yeah I was a dm and learned so much from that experience. My three years in the hornline taught me the activity but that year shed light about the forces behind the activity. That's why I choose to stay out of most discussions here. I am here to support the activity and ill keep my opinions between me and the people who ask for them - mostly my freinds on staffs. I think we are seeing the end of the activity here because of costs and declining bingo incomes. I hope we enjoy these shows because I think they will be the last of an era soon. On another note, I have never seen so many people digging the bk style. You would never have heard this much static 02-05 and you would never hear people complaining at bk staying in the "2nd tier" because we were struggling to make finals. What a great thing for bk to have a "rebuilding year" or an "off program year" and still be in a solid finals position. Good luck everyone for the final two weeks and for my bk friends - I wish I was there with all of you.

Yeah I was a dm and learned so much from that experience. My three years in the hornline taught me the activity but that year shed light about the forces behind the activity. That's why I choose to stay out of most discussions here. I am here to support the activity and ill keep my opinions between me and the people who ask for them - mostly my freinds on staffs. I think we are seeing the end of the activity here because of costs and declining bingo incomes. I hope we enjoy these shows because I think they will be the last of an era soon. On another note, I have never seen so many people digging the bk style. You would never have heard this much static 02-05 and you would never hear people complaining at bk staying in the "2nd tier" because we were struggling to make finals. What a great thing for bk to have a "rebuilding year" or an "off program year" and still be in a solid finals position. Good luck everyone for the final two weeks and for my bk friends - I wish I was there with all of you.

Well said!! I think you sum up the very way I feel about finals and the honor of being a part of it. Also I am not sure it will be the end of the era. My wife and I had this very discussion this afternoon while eating fajitas.(good ones too) I thought the same way you do but she reminded me that they had gas shortages/gouging in the 70's-80's and a very unstable economy during those years. Now the cost of living and the coprs cost of touring has increased but I tend to hold optimism that the activity will survive and when the economy boosts back up ew'll see more corps involvement like we did 5-7 years ago. I hope, but we'll see.

W P

I took a nice, long break from the activity from 98 to 03. Since I've eased back into the activity, Blue Knights has been one of the most consistent innovators. They haven't achieved the same level of performance as even the Bluecoats in that time, but as far as individual movement goes, I think BK is one of the leaders as far as what is done when. Others shake a leg or do a squat and call it art. Blue Knights are pushing the envelope in this area.

I saw them in Denton and it is a truly good corps. If their members come back next year, which I recommend, then look out! They'll be a REALLY good corps averaging 20 instead of 19!

All that being said, I'd love to see BK bust out on something more recognizable, entertaining and fan friendly. The fans would love nothing than to see BK push the top 3 also. Having 3 legitimate newcomers to the top 6 would definitely make things interesting for the Phantoms (oh, I'm not supposed to call them that am I?) and SCV's, huh?

Interesting what you say about crowd response because they got a good response before during and after they performed in SA From what I saw from the Atlanta feed they got a decent response also. No babies dislodged just a a good cheer it seemed like. I thought and they are going for more of a modern dance ballet type of movement? Are they gonna look like a ballet company? No, but I think most would agree with the idea of ballet being used to describe the body and visual movement. Just a thought. As for the the sounds I agree they do sound pretty darn good and hope they might grow on you visually. :thumbup:

Wes P

In comparison to other groups in Atlanta the response was not great.

My opinion is, "If you don't know how to dance, don't dance" (just my opinion in general)

There are a million modern dance companies in the world. Each one feels they are special, changing the world, etc. etc. etc. but 99% of them can't fill a theater with paid admissions. BK does provide a break from the norm when watching a top 12 show but how many paid admissions would there be if all 12 groups performing followed the same show format as BK.

Sooooo, I respect BK, but I am not getting or enjoying the visual. I also think the members would have a better summer experience if they were performing to crowds that were going crazy over what they were presenting.

Best of luck to BK :thumbup:

Sooooo, I respect BK, but I am not getting or enjoying the visual. I also think the members would have a better summer experience if they were performing to crowds that were going crazy over what they were presenting.

Best of luck to BK :thumbup:

The members this year LOVE the show. I don't think a lack of crowds going crazy is hurting their summer what so ever!