The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

BK should do a show like 91 or 93 Star of Indiana. Those shows were "dark" and "artistic" yet they got first and second place those years. Merge style with entertainment. Either way, go BK!

Yeah, alot of folks think that dark means "obscure". When something is less understood and vague, we have a tendency to label it as "dark", as if that gives some justification for being unapproachable / boring.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, one more thing... (or two I guess)

I still don't get how you are defining "progress". Placement-wise? I don't really think the argument that a corps who is not actively competing for the title is not making progress holds any water.

Of course progress is placement. What are the corps doing out there? Competing. I don`t think the corps say to themselves, "let`s shoot for 7th again this year"....get outta here, turkey.

Perhaps Cavies, BD, and Phantom just have louder fans? Seriously though, just because I'm not on my feet screaming doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the show. If anything I think it shows class that BK's fans don't need everybody in the stadium to know it.

Cop out. Everyone wants (or should want) to connect with the audience. No one would complain if fans were screaming their heads off. In fact, it would do a world of good for the performers if they would.

Yeah, alot of folks think that dark means "obscure". When something is less understood and vague, we have a tendency to label it as "dark", as if that gives some justification for being unapproachable / boring.

A lot of folks think that " obscure " and " dark " can't be approachable or entertaining.

When in reality, for most people, it doesn't matter if it's " dark",..." bright "...." obscure "..... or " familiar ".

It's all in THE PRESENTATION, for most people.

As such, an " obscure " piece can be enthralling for people.... or thoroughly boring.

And conversely, a " familiar " piece can be bland or boring...... or electifying

BK can present whatever it is they want to present in the future

And the public will give them the feedback on that PRESENTATION.

Edited by BRASSO

Great to see BK discussed with such passion. A couple of thoughts:

1. The Blue Knights are a top 12 corps. Have been for years. This is a successful group, folks. I believe they could move up, as do many of you. But making Finals every year, when it is getting more and more difficult to do so is something to be proud of.

2. They are trying to do something different, and that is a good thing too. There are so many Genericorps these days, it's nice to see something a bit different.

3. One good point in this thread, which is probably worthy of it's own thread, is the idea of applause = success. While I agree that crowd appeal is great and desirable, it is by no means the only measure of success. The fact that BK is always in the thick of things is a testament to their success.

4. The original post could indeed be seen as bagging on the corps, whether the original poster intended it that way. That type of feedback is best delivered directly to the corps (IMO), rather than as a public posting is read many ways other than what was intended.

4. The original post could indeed be seen as bagging on the corps, whether the original poster intended it that way. That type of feedback is best delivered directly to the corps (IMO), rather than as a public posting is read many ways other than what was intended.

An excellent point. It could well apply to a lot of stuff posted here on the forums, not just this thread.

Fred O.

An excellent point. It could well apply to a lot of stuff posted here on the forums, not just this thread.

Fred O.

Oh, come on you softies. This is a forum for discussion. So, let`s get some issues out there and discuss them.

I think there is power in creating a buzz before you storm the castle (what perfect metaphors). My intent was to lay out my feelings as to why the corps is sputtering, stalling, and otherwise making no progress towards a higher placement.

Great to see BK discussed with such passion. A couple of thoughts:

1. The Blue Knights are a top 12 corps. Have been for years. This is a successful group, folks. I believe they could move up, as do many of you. But making Finals every year, when it is getting more and more difficult to do so is something to be proud of.

2. They are trying to do something different, and that is a good thing too. There are so many Genericorps these days, it's nice to see something a bit different.

3. One good point in this thread, which is probably worthy of it's own thread, is the idea of applause = success. While I agree that crowd appeal is great and desirable, it is by no means the only measure of success. The fact that BK is always in the thick of things is a testament to their success.

1. My argument isn`t about being a top 12 finisher. I want BK to break its way into the top tier corps. This thread was meant to stimulate thought as to why they have been stuck in the 2nd and 3rd tier finals spots every time they make finals. And, from 2001-2003 (three seasons) BK did not secure a spot in finals. Moreover, they have scarcely been able to crack the 90 point margin on the judges scorecards by finals night.

2. I acknowledge they are trying to do something different. But difference for the sake of difference iis, in my opinion, stubborn and, dare I say, childish. This is drum corps---a competitve environment---not a 50s greaser film. The US versus THEM attitude has hurt the BK, and will continue to do so in the future.

3, Applause should be one of the most sought after ideas in drum corps. This is about the fans. Allowing the youngsters to make a connection with the audience and giving them the edification of bringing joy to other people. When the staff gets involved, engaging in a war with DCI about being different, kids can be robbed of that experience.

4. Let`s see what people think. I am interested to know.

I guess in some ways, we agree noble. BK needs to shoot for first. It would REALLY help recruiting. I like their shows, but it just needs a little of extra oomph. Star of Indiana is a good example of similar shows with that extra oomph. I understand you want them to do well, and you don't dislike them. You just want them to succeed. Nothing wrong with that. :smile:

I guess in some ways, we agree noble. BK needs to shoot for first. It would REALLY help recruiting. I like their shows, but it just needs a little of extra oomph. Star of Indiana is a good example of similar shows with that extra oomph. I understand you want them to do well, and you don't dislike them. You just want them to succeed. Nothing wrong with that. :smile:

I appreciate your understanding. Good to see people who are actively out there rooting for BKs success.