The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

but how many paid admissions would there be if all 12 groups performing followed the same show format as BK.

Exactly. Who in their right mind would want 12 BD formats, or 12 Cavie formats, or 12 SCV formats, or heaven forbid, 12 (you know what i'm going to say.. :thumbup: ) formats?? It's because bk is different that their design choices shouldnt be a big deal....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they NEED donations, maybe new uniforms and busses weren't a good idea? i hope they'd just 'greatly appreciate' donations and it's not a question of the corps survival.

New uniforms were out, but the alumni association really stepped up and got them for the 50th

The busses are leased and they're much more fuel efficient, more reliable.

The members this year LOVE the show. I don't think a lack of crowds going crazy is hurting their summer what so ever!

This is good to hear. If the kids " LOVE the show" despite many in the audience not quite feeling the same level of love from the Corps show designers for them in the audience, then when a former marching member expresses his frustration with that lack of crowd response compared to several others, it should not be of much concern to them as well.

I have heard it said many times that the Blue Knights are " unique ". I'm not sure just what exactly is " unique " here though. Their music has been described as " dark " and " somber ". But what is " unique " about that ? We've had " dark " shows before..... we've had " somber " shows before. We've had " cerebral " shows before. If I close my eyes and listen to BK's brass, percussion, battery playing, I don't hear THAT much that separates them THAT distinctly or uniquely from others. We've had dissodance playing before. We've had esoteric shows before. We've had shows before where the designers seem not that much interested in strong favorable audience responses. Their uniforms are not " unique ". Their marching style, or brass technique or percussion playing is not " unique " in the activity. I don't see anything revolutionary in their show themes, show design... or for that matter, anything out of the ordinary, other than perhaps quite a few audiences feeling something missing in their shows lately.. And even THAT, is not THAT " unique " in this day and age.

But again, the kids are working hard, they love their show, and they are a Corps that executes well enough to secure a spot in the top 12 most years,, and that in itself is highly commendable.

And I sincerely wish them well the rest of the season and in the future !

Edited by BRASSO

Wow. I have to say that I have felt this way about the Blue Knights since first watching them (1990). I wouldn't have posted something like this as I think it's a bit too negative but since it's out there now... I have not enjoyed one single Blue Knights show (exception of 99.. yay! something positive here..) ever since I have started watching them. I'm sorry, but they bore me to tears year after year after year. I have never understood the whole "identity" this corps has. Who wants to make "boring" their identity? To each his/her own though... I don't have a personal problem with them, I just watch their show each year, hoping I will like it, and each year I am disappointed and just bored with it. I really hope the kids do enjoy performing this show because I don't hold it against them (although they know what they are getting into, obviously.) But being "artsy" just for the sake of being "artsy" to me is stupid and elitist. Still, I wish them the best of luck in their efforts.

I like the Blue Knights. They are different, but that's what I love about them.

I don't think the problem is their style or identity or even the reps they choose. It's in the way they put shows together and the fact that their modernist/minimalist concept tends to look and sound very similar year after year. There are never any surprises with them and that's why people get bored. I, like others have said, usually watch them once a year just to say I've seen them.

To each his/her/their own. If they're happy with the results they get, and the members have a good experience, then good for them.

Wow. I have to say that I have felt this way about the Blue Knights since first watching them (1990). I wouldn't have posted something like this as I think it's a bit too negative but since it's out there now... I have not enjoyed one single Blue Knights show (exception of 99.. yay! something positive here..) ever since I have started watching them. I'm sorry, but they bore me to tears year after year after year. I have never understood the whole "identity" this corps has. Who wants to make "boring" their identity? To each his/her own though... I don't have a personal problem with them, I just watch their show each year, hoping I will like it, and each year I am disappointed and just bored with it. I really hope the kids do enjoy performing this show because I don't hold it against them (although they know what they are getting into, obviously.) But being "artsy" just for the sake of being "artsy" to me is stupid and elitist. Still, I wish them the best of luck in their efforts.

Incredible.......... this is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about this corps !

I am glad the kids are into what they are doing... Im hoping that they have a great

summer, and enjoy their DCI expericnce, but I hope that maybe, just maybe, in the

upcoming years, if this corps wants to get closer to the elite title, that maybe they

realize that even thought staff and administration are doing what they think are the

best for the organiztion and kids, they HAVE GOT to realize that the kids KNOW that

the majority of the fans are being polite with their clapping.... and their is more to

this activity then just politly clapping....... :thumbup:

Right... I know you didn't... I was refering to his post.

I'd never suggest that all alumni should toe the company line and be sheep to their old corps. Truth be told, I'm not sold on every single design choice year-to-year.

That said, not only would I disagree with you, I'd argue that they've succeeded in their goal of being unique and different from the rest of the field. I'm sure BK would love to get more competitive success as well, but if they're going to do it, they're going to do it their way.

Ask the Madison Scouts how doing it "their way" worked for them...

Personally, I haev not enjoyed a BK show since 1999. The music is uninviting, and the show concept has been way to dark for me. But that's just y opinion.

Agreed, but I think BK has also become pigeon-holed into their own formula the same way that some of the to "formulaic" corps have. I appreciate their commitment to doing what they want to do...If anyone could appreciate that I think it's me. I just think their commitment to certain elements has actually created a self-imposed box. Some of what they do just seems arbitrary to me and I think that is somewhat related to the "need" they feel to do things a certain way to create an identity. Maybe contrived is a better term. I know that's not the most complimentary of words but it's just the gut feeling I get when I watch them. They remind me of the Glassmen of the late '90s early/2000s in this way.

Trust me when I say this, I'm not picking on BK. I have many beefs with the majority of drum corps out there. There are many things that I like about BK and maybe I'm just a little bit frustrated because they come sooo close but seem to miss the boat a little. Please don't think I'm asking them to be like anyone else. (being selfish here) For my personal taste, I would like to see them put a few remaining hairs into place that would make their programs wow me...that's all.

No one here is "picking on BK", least of all me.

And I would like to be clear that no where did I say that BK should be forumulaic. In fact, I am saying the opposite...that they should be different.

My point is that they have stumbled onto to a style that tends to land them in the same placing range year after year. My hope is that they continue to try some new things, like engaging the audience more, until they find the perfect meld of personality and results. That is all.

Also, let`s not confuse "dark" with "vague"...a show can very well be dark (Phantom 96) and be entertaining as well.

Ask the Madison Scouts how doing it "their way" worked for them...

That is balogna in my opinion. When the Scouts have been excellent (the vast majority of their history) they have been rewarded competitively. When they have had down years they have been scored accordingly. This idea that the Scouts have been rebels trying to do things their own way and penalized as a result is just not true. They have bounced around as low as 15th and as high as 6th in recent years - not because of adherence to a given show style, but rather as a result of quality of performance.