The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

Your pop definition of insanity is neither accurate nor appropriate here. Heck, if that were the standard, we'd have to call Scott Stewart and the Scouts insane too! More important, you can't call the corps "insane" and say it's constructive criticism because it's just not the way to go about it.

Yeah, not really a definition, but Einstein's take on insanity (probably in some specific context) is a pretty good one.

I agree that it doesn't fit for BK, as I don't think they expect different results. And I'd also say your application to the Scouts is inappropriate as well, as I don't think they/Stewart expected different results either. And by "results," I mean "competitive results," as the OP implied later that he felt BK shouldn't settle for being mired in the 7-10 range.

All this said, I think it's great that an alum isn't afraid to be critical. Perhaps better words should've been chosen, but who hasn't watched BK and said "I wish they'd play a little more"? I don't like all of the visual stuff they do, but it's definitely different, and I think there's a place for that in DCI. And I am a *huge* fan of the knee snap before stepping off - wonderful visual effect, in my opinion.

And for what it's worth, I thought last year's show was phenomenal, and this year's is pretty solid, particularly the closer.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for marginalizing what I have to say. I suppose, in the end, all we do on forums like these is express our opinions, so no love lost there.

BK is a corps stuck perpetually in the 10th to 7th range of corps, year end and year out. Unless Mark Arnold and his staff ENJOYS getting the same results each year, with no prospects of improvement, I suppose there truly is no problem. If I may be so bold, I imagine the countless hours, blood, sweet, tears, and money the staff pours into the ensemble every year isn`t for another run at 9th place. Competitors play to win.

I can tell you that if my car stalls on the side of the road, I am going to pop the hood and take a good look at what`s going on inside the engine.

I do not agree with this. This corps has improved greatly over the past 4 or 5 years. I know there was a definate jump in quality from 05 to 06.

I don’t blame anyone associated with the Blue Knights for exploring a blueprint that has given them some level of success. I DO blame a DCI organizational philosophy that seems to ignore the entertainment of the general public in judging their shows.

I am not very entertained by the 2000’s BK shows and I am a fairly informed audience member but I see a majority of casual fans sitting on their hands during BK shows. If I were in their staff would I change my shows with the level of success they are achieving? NO WAY. If DCI as an organization does not see esoteric shows (and there are little doses of BK in more and more other corps shows each year) as a problem in attracting a larger audience or keeping the current one, then the Blue Knights should continue with their unique style.

Now if I was running DCI, I would change the system of judging to ensure that General Effect more closely reflected what the majority of the crowd likes. The colorguard, percussion and brass are being judged, this will maintain the quality. Have every corps attempt to give your audiences an "effect" thrill.

My business/economic philosophy is simple, a performance organization that derives much of it’s income off of tickets sales must try to maximize it's entertainment value.

I don’t blame anyone associated with the Blue Knights for exploring a blueprint that has given them some level of success. I DO blame a DCI organizational philosophy that seems to ignore the entertainment of the general public in judging their shows.

I am not very entertained by the 2000’s BK shows and I am a fairly informed audience member but I see a majority of casual fans sitting on their hands during BK shows. If I were in their staff would I change my shows with the level of success they are achieving? NO WAY. If DCI as an organization does not see esoteric shows (and there are little doses of BK in more and more other corps shows each year) as a problem in attracting a larger audience or keeping the current one, then the Blue Knights should continue with their unique style.

Now if I was running DCI, I would change the system of judging to ensure that General Effect more closely reflected what the majority of the crowd likes. The colorguard, percussion and brass are being judged, this will maintain the quality. Have every corps attempt to give your audiences an "effect" thrill.

My business/economic philosophy is simple, a performance organization that derives much of it’s income off of tickets sales must try to maximize it's entertainment value.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

DCI has been charged with being a viable non-profit organization, an administrator, as well as being a protector of an artform.

I'd agree that most fans don't find BK to be the most entertaining on a visceral level, but does that really make what BK does less important than the corps that are, Jay?

I'd be disappointed to see DCI move to a model that rewars "general entertainment" over "general effect." It's possible it would put more butts in the seats, but I think it's equally possible that it would prevent corps the freedom to explore other ideas or provoke other thoughts.

Edited by Keith Laubhan

I have really enoyed every Blue Knights performance since the late 90's. This year I think the visual was a little weak with the guard work being lost early in the season.

If you have only seen this show online, I can see why you might not be as excited about it. I agree, I enjoyed this music so much more live, then when I have seen it on the computer. I think overall they have a great package almost every year. And the shows of the dark music have been some of my favorite musical packages over the years. I think Blue Knights pick better classical music than any other corps this decade.

I agree the audience reaction does seem mixed to them. I think about half the people really like them, and the other half seem to actually dislike them. I, for one, really hope they keep in the direction they are going.

I hate to say it but I totally agree. BK has bored me for the past several years. They are a GREAT corps but I have to admit that I typically watch them 1 time during the season and then use their performance time for restroom/concession breaks. This year is no different. The other thing that I really don't get is all of the "corps-ography." They roll around on the ground too much. This is a definite trend in DCI overall but BK takes it to an extreme. Not too many corps use the technique effectively. They seem to be doing it because it is now expected and required to be able to compete. Just my opinion. I know some people like it but I certainly don't care for it. I've been around the activity for years so I 'understand' what they are doing and understand the complexity etc.. but I just don't care for it. I would LOVE to see BK take a bit of a new direction.

Good Luck to BK

I agree. It seems there is a little bit of "doing 'corps-ography' just for the sake of doing it" as opposed to doing it with a purpose. If there has to be dance in drum corps at all, I feel that Crown's usage is usually very tasteful and actually conveys a message/emotion. Sometimes I feel like I contributed to the opening of this "pandora's box" by being a part of Star '93.

It kind of reminds me of the people in college who want to be different just like everybody else.

I LOVE what BK is doing! I don’t think any of the broadcasts available online do the corps justice. My guess is if you saw the show live you might have a different perception. I had the opportunity to see them in Denver, Albuquerque, and San Antonio. They will be one of the corps that I’m most excited to see again during Finals!!!!

There acrually is a purpose for the dance. One of BK's biggest themes the last couple years is to develop a more artistic individual. Just because they don't have a story behind it doesn't mean that the corps is doing it for no reason.

And I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while to get into BK this year.

I agree. It seems there is a little bit of "doing 'corps-ography' just for the sake of doing it" as opposed to doing it with a purpose. If there has to be dance in drum corps at all, I feel that Crown's usage is usually very tasteful and actually conveys a message/emotion. Sometimes I feel like I contributed to the opening of this "pandora's box" by being a part of Star '93.

It kind of reminds me of the people in college who want to be different just like everybody else.

Glad you agree with me about "corps-ography." I keep hoping this phenomenon will pass but it seems to be gaining momentum. All the corps look like they are trying to float on a cloud. The one that really gets me is that slow motion flying arms thing like they are floating on the moon. LOL. Not hating on BK it just seems that everyone does it to some degree. It just gets silly after while when EVERYBODY does it.

BTW - COOL LIGER!!! :thumbup: