The Blue Knights Have Gone Insane

I LOVE what BK is doing! I don’t think any of the broadcasts available online do the corps justice. My guess is if you saw the show live you might have a different perception. I had the opportunity to see them in Denver, Albuquerque, and San Antonio. They will be one of the corps that I’m most excited to see again during Finals!!!!

I saw them in San Antonio. I've never subscribed to the fan network so I've never seen them online.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm not gonna lie, it took me a while to get into BK this year.

Me too, though I've really warmed up to the show since the beginning of the year.

Thank God not every corps is the same! Bk has an identity all their own that noone else comes close to. When BK is on the field, everyone who knows drum corps knows it is them. IMO, the past decade for them has been a refreshing change of pace from the norm in drum corps. This year has taken some growing on for me, but it has come along well. I don't think they should change a thing with their organization. Give me "artsy" any day over cookie cutter, formulaic shows that we see win all the time.

Glad you agree with me about "corps-ography." I keep hoping this phenomenon will pass but it seems to be gaining momentum. All the corps look like they are trying to float on a cloud. The one that really gets me is that slow motion flying arms thing like they are floating on the moon. LOL. Not hating on BK it just seems that everyone does it to some degree. It just gets silly after while when EVERYBODY does it.

BTW - COOL LIGER!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the Liger compliment. I drew it myself :thumbup: ...I think I may differ from you a little bit. First, I actually think the dancing (in general) is used a lot less in the past 5 or 6 years than it was in the late '90's. Second, I think the majority of corps have finally figured out how to use it. There was a period of time in the late '90s early 2000s that it seemed everyone was just throwing it in arbitrarily. Also, many didn't seem to understand how to do it from a technical/execution point of view. The implementation and tasteful usage of it in recent years has been a welcome change IMO. It's not my most favorite thing in the world, but I don't mind it (and sometimes like it) when it's done very well. When it's not done well or is over done it gets very distracting or annoying in some cases.

I think there's a parallel between the evolution of 'corpsography' usage and that of amped voice usage. Corps have taken awhile to learn when (if at all) and how these options should be used. There's still some who are holding fast to dominating their shows with these tools while others have realized that it's just another color to be used cohesively with the rest of the colors in the painting. I actually think the learning curve for amped voice usage has been much quicker than that of body movement. Maybe it's because judges aren't going crazy rewarding corps for it no matter what.

Give me "artsy" any day over cookie cutter, formulaic shows that we see win all the time.

Agreed, but I think BK has also become pigeon-holed into their own formula the same way that some of the to "formulaic" corps have. I appreciate their commitment to doing what they want to do...If anyone could appreciate that I think it's me. I just think their commitment to certain elements has actually created a self-imposed box. Some of what they do just seems arbitrary to me and I think that is somewhat related to the "need" they feel to do things a certain way to create an identity. Maybe contrived is a better term. I know that's not the most complimentary of words but it's just the gut feeling I get when I watch them. They remind me of the Glassmen of the late '90s early/2000s in this way.

Trust me when I say this, I'm not picking on BK. I have many beefs with the majority of drum corps out there. There are many things that I like about BK and maybe I'm just a little bit frustrated because they come sooo close but seem to miss the boat a little. Please don't think I'm asking them to be like anyone else. (being selfish here) For my personal taste, I would like to see them put a few remaining hairs into place that would make their programs wow me...that's all.

Thank God not every corps is the same! Bk has an identity all their own that noone else comes close to. When BK is on the field, everyone who knows drum corps knows it is them.

I completely agree. When you watch the whole top 12 at a show, BK's design really stands out as being their own thing. They may not get the audience throwing babies, but I usually hear plenty of appreciative comments for their performances. There are lots of routes to a successful show, and it's good to see them exploring some less common ones.

Now if I was running DCI, I would change the system of judging to ensure that General Effect more closely reflected what the majority of the crowd likes.

And how do you define that? And what if your definition is different than mine?

It's not that easy. It's never that easy. It's insulting.

....a HUGE chunk of downtime is allotted for our wonderful musicians to prance around the field, forming whimsical pods and shapes whilst not playing a single lick of music. Perhaps it is time to REALLY try something different.

Uh hello? The thing that is really DIFFERENT during that break you're referring to is that it is a FRONT ENSEMBLE feature which seems to be pretty rare from what I can tell. The choreography in the background by the corps is NOT the point - the point is that the pit have a full part all to themselves with an assist from the basses. You may not like it, enjoy it, prefer it, whatever - but it IS very different, which is what you stated you wanted.

And how do you define that? And what if your definition is different than mine?

It's not that easy. It's never that easy. It's insulting.

We could get an Applause-O-Meter like on American Band Stand..... :thumbup:

Edited by ouooga