Favorite Non-Performance Moments

I'm basically asking for moments that make you smile or what have you that has nothing to do with the music, drill, or flagwork. Here are some of mine.

Blue Devils 2007: It is at the marimba run where they get a close up of a guy who just finished the run, where he gives a huge grin and wink to the audience.

Santa Clara 1999: Near the end of the show after Blue Shades, the camera crew gets a closeup of guard girl who has an absolutely euphoric look on her face. Although I have only done marching band, I know that feeling.

Santa Clara 1989: Although I usually hate audience shout-outs, the placing of the "Take it home, Santa Clara!" makes me smile.

Yours?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm basically asking for moments that make you smile or what have you that has nothing to do with the music, drill, or flagwork. Here are some of mine.

Blue Devils 2007: It is at the marimba run where they get a close up of a guy who just finished the run, where he gives a huge grin and wink to the audience.

Santa Clara 1999: Near the end of the show after Blue Shades, the camera crew gets a closeup of guard girl who has an absolutely euphoric look on her face. Although I have only done marching band, I know that feeling.

Santa Clara 1989: Although I usually hate audience shout-outs, the placing of the "Take it home, Santa Clara!" makes me smile.

Yours?

The age-outs in tears after the final show. We all know what they are thinking............it's all over for me!

Edited by CavRookoutMom

I think that was a guy.

The age-outs in tears after the final show. We all know what they are thinking............it's all over for me!

Finals retreat in 1989: Suncoast Sound formed a delta as tribute to their perrenial rival Spirit who had dropped out of finals that year. That was easily the classiest thing I ever saw as a fan.

'85 Suncoast, during the sop duet right after "The Lick" around the 12 minute mark, I LOVE the guard member's expression (and you can tell she's singing along to the duet) and then watching the two sops after they finish.

Last years finals show for Crown when the guard guy pops up right at the camera at the end of a musical piece... almost scary

1982 -- the soprano quartet (or was it a trio?) in the middle of "One More Time Chuck Corea" when the center soprano hits the octave -- he nails it with his whole body. Same with the soprano cadenza at the end of "Pegasus"

1996 -- Kristy Spears tearing up at the end of "Defiant Heart." (Quick question -- when I searched to double-check her name, I found her listed on a British Web site for British folks who have marched U.S. drum corps. Kristy is a Brit?)

Edited by hkhongkong

84 BD....Stymie's look as he brings the horn down after "La Fiesta"

84 Garfield...Barbara Maroney nailing one of the greatest melodic mello solos ever in "I Have a Love"....and holding that last note for 19 seconds without even LOOKING like she's trying!

84 Madison..."OOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo YYYYYYYYYyyyyyyEeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhh" in the drum feature"

And one negative....84 VK....DM almost crying on the retreat line because DCI TOOK AWAY THE DECK CHAIRS!! Stupid....and everyone on the field was ticked.

And one negative....84 VK....DM almost crying on the retreat line because DCI TOOK AWAY THE DECK CHAIRS!! Stupid....and everyone on the field was ticked.

awwwwww....that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Shame on 1984 DCI...wasn't that their first finals too?

2001 - Phantom Regiment's growing standing O' at the end of the show

And while technically this is kinda performance related...

1999 Madison Scouts - 2-Man-Can-Can Line during the middle tune. One guy: ridiculously tall. Other guy: ridiculously short. The camera didn't get a good shot of it, but it still makes me crack up.