Championship Shows You Didn't Like

I think judges get to know a show so well over the course of the season, that they remember things, and look for certain passages and other things that the corps needs to work on, weak spots, and when they get it right the next time, the judge rewards them for it. And when they get everything right, in relation to the things the judge had been looking at all season, they'd give a 10 as a reward, just like xandandl said. But it's also part of the limiting factor....if judge gives Corps C a 9.7, and Corps B was that much better, it would have to be a 10. But what happens if Corps A does better than Corps B? Judge knows all the corps well enough to know that Corps A will not beat Corps B in this particular caption....if they've been around judging the events all summer.

This is all off-topic, but since I'm ranting about it, I'd like to see judges judging the same caption throughout the season. I don't like to see a judge go from judging visual one competition to judging brass in another. A judge should be very involved in what the corps are doing, their weaknesses, what they're improving on, etc. A judge in the know, from start to finish, is a judge who can accurately and fairly rank a group of corps at the end of the season.

Shows that won that I did not like - going back to 1989

Blue Devils - 2009 2010 2012 2014 I hated.

All championship shows before then, I really liked. 2007, 2003, going back to 1994.

BD 2008 and 2011 I really did like, but they didn't win.

1996 Phantom Regiment I kinda liked, but not enough to think it should have been a winning show. I don't believe it had a strong enough visual program...but man the music was great.

Cavaliers 2004 (007) I did not like. Especially when I look at 2000-2003, all were incredible shows, and ground-breaking as well. 2004 was just not something I expected them to do. I wanted more uniqueness. 007 was not unique. I didn't enjoy it.

But then again, 2004 was an especially non-entertaining season for me. I don't believe there was one single show I liked, with the exception of the Boston Crusaders.

OK maybe, but let's look at it from another angle. If BD had choked (like, say 1989) and Bluecoats performed as they did, would 'Coats have won?

I don't know; however, it was clear to many that both Cadets and Coats were absolutely 'beast' on Saturday night, so the Cadets were certainly not rewarded by DCI for their 2014 body of work.....simply the views of the final judging panel (putting aside the obvious and palpable Coats cool factor). Sitting in the stadium, it was really great that the top three shows were entirely unalike in content and approach, yet all excellent in execution.

But then again, 2004 was an especially non-entertaining season for me. I don't believe there was one single show I liked, with the exception of the Boston Crusaders.

I'm a fan of BAC 2004, but I must say this is first and only time I've heard someone say that the show was their favorite of 2004~

Boy Wonder:

re: This is all off-topic, but since I'm ranting about it, I'd like to see judges judging the same caption throughout the season. I don't like to see a judge go from judging visual one competition to judging brass in another.

Why not? I think of people like Jay Webb of Avon H.S. fame, etc. who are more than capable and credentialed for more than one caption. Sometimes, especially in the early part of the season while schools are still in session in California, New York, New England, Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Pacific Northwest, these multiple credentialed people are the only ones available while their confreres are still teaching. Would you have less captions??

Edited by xandandl

No.

Why not? Let's face it, DCI compiled the most anti-Cadets judging panel on Saturday night to make sure Coats beat them.

Boy Wonder:

re: This is all off-topic, but since I'm ranting about it, I'd like to see judges judging the same caption throughout the season. I don't like to see a judge go from judging visual one competition to judging brass in another.

Why not? I think of people like Jay Webb of Avon H.S. fame, etc. who are more than capable and credentialed in any one caption. Sometimes, especially in the early part of the season while schools are still in session in California, New York, New England, Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Pacific Northwest, these multiple credentialed people are the only ones available while their confreres are still teaching. Would you have less captions??

I wasn't aware there was a shortage of qualified judges.

I'm a fan of BAC 2004, but I must say this is first and only time I've heard someone say that the show was their favorite of 2004~

Man, I had to look it up to remember what that show was. But OH YES, the infamous color show!

About championship shows I don't like much...

• 1990 Cadets Bernstein show -- I guess I find it pretty derivative, a greatest hits show that did all the right things but the only part I truly like is the fake Z pull. It's a tight performance (thus the win), but little excitement for me.
  • 1997 Blue Devils Casablanca show -- I find it to be bland. It's elegant, I suppose, even pretty. But "I don't care" is my response.
  • 2006 Cavaliers Machine show -- I do like some of the visuals, and there's some clever brass arranging to get some good effects out of the horn line. But the show as a whole is uninteresting to me. I want to say trite, but that implies it has nothing original to offer -- but it in many ways is typical 2000's Cavies, and that did grow stale on me.
  • 2009 Blue Devils 1930 show -- Yes, it's the chairs. And I don't care much for the musical presentation, either. Also, it's in the unfortunate position of seeming boring compared to what they've tried since then.
  • 2012 Blue Devils Dada show -- A total mess IMO (design, I mean). I hated HATED the clothes hanger horse things, the audio clips, and how choppy the show is.

Why not? Let's face it, DCI compiled the most anti-Cadets judging panel on Saturday night to make sure Coats beat them.

And there it is.

• Like 3