Your personal Favorite Corps

Very simple poll here - who are your favorite corps and why?

Here's my list.

1 - Carolina Crown

Crown has always been important to me ever since I first started following Drum Corps because they were the home state corps. I always enjoyed their shows, regardless of how good or bad the scoring made you think it was. They stayed at a close second until last year after I started working with the corps and being around them more. The kids in Crown are great to be around. It was also because of their 2007 show that Crown became my favorite corps. Triple Crown was so incredible. It took a lot to beat my old favorite show that lasted for 7 years, but Triple Crown had what it took. Then, they stepped it up a notch this year with Finis and it knocked my old favorite down another slot, as well as my newer favorite. This corps will always be number one in my book, no matter where the scores place them.

2 - The Cadets

This is the corps that got me into the activity. My High School did a watered down arrangement of Phantom Regiment's 1991 show, Phantom Voices, in 1999. Our band director showed us the tape of Phantom's performance and I loved it. I decided to watch finals that year on PBS, but nothing really caught my eye. Then, the next year I watched again. The drum solo from the Cadets show that year blew me away! It was the most incredible thing I've ever seen! I kept watching it over and over again and eventually branched out into the rest of the show and to other shows from that year (Cavies, BD and SCV most notably). The Cadets had the best show that year, in my opinion and they became my favorite corps until Crown dethroned them late last year. They still hold a special place in my heart and always will. I have liked most of their shows, with the exception of 2002 and 2003 but I plan to rewatch those and see if I change my mind which I probably will. I have even liked the shows of the past 4 years (05-08) that have caused so much controversy, though 08 was a tough sell at first.

3 - Phantom Regiment

Being the first Drum Corps I ever saw on tape and my real gateway into the activity, this top 5 list would not be complete without them, even if they just barely made it in. Phantom 1991 is still in my top 10 shows of all time. It continues to be incredible to me, even having listened to the show for almost 10 years now, performed it in 1999 and helped teach my high school when they did it again in 2004 (I was assistant drumline instructor). Their shows are always impressive and well performed. Another show that sticks out to me as a great Phantom show is their 2008 production, Spartacus. It is such a great production. So much raw energy and passion - it can't help but be great. [EDIT] In fact, I have ended up liking it SO much that it made Phantom jump from 5th to 3rd in my overall favorite corps. Spartacus has even become part of my top 5 favorite shows of all time - at number 5.

4 - Madison Scouts

This is one of the first corps that I saw live in 2001 when I went to NightBEAT for the first time. If I remember correctly, the first note of their 2001 show was this bombastic chord that felt like it was so loud that Memorial Stadium was going to fall to the sonic assault. It was really incredible. I mentioned earlier that my High School did a watered down version of Phantom 1991 in 1999 - well, the year before I got in the band, they did a watered down arrangement of Madison Scouts 1995. I remember hearing them perform that and I remembered how I loved that band so much. Then, when I got into Drum Corps and found out what that show came from, I had to get it. After I started listening to the original, I fell in love with the Madison Scouts. They may not get the respect they deserve in scoring, but they get it in fans. I have always respected them, even in off years like last year and the beginning of this season. I am really glad to see them pulling back into the top 12 though.

5 - The Cavaliers

As I mentioned earlier, 2000 Finals was very important to me. The Cavaliers show from that year was my second favorite from that year. The next year they did Four Corners which I thought was really great. I may not like every show that they have done since I got into the activity (02, 05-07 as examples), but they are still a great corps and I respect them highly. I was so happy that they topped the Blue Devils tonight in Allentown, and that I was there to see it happen. When they were winning so much in the past 7 years, I always found myself upset that the Cadets hadn't won. When I look back, I do think Four Corners should have won - Spin Cycle should have won - 007 was definitely the top show in 2004. To me, this corps is just one of the best out there and I will always respect them, even if I don't like their show. I love this years show though.

This is the end of my list. I will keep it to 5 for now. However, I know this will eventually shift as I get more familiar with Star of Indiana shows.

Edited by Box5Intern

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star of Indiana

Number one for me ALWAYS be Suncoast Sound

2. Phantom Regiment

3. SCV

4. Carolina Crown

5. Troopers

Will post explanations later when I'm more awake :thumbup:

1. The Cavaliers

The Cavaliers embody what it is I've always wanted from the marching activity: Amazing drill work, impressive showmanship, and theatrics. While many view this activity as music supported by visual, as it was at my high school, I've always enjoyed the visual and marching aspect equally if not more than the music. Something about flying around the field at 200bpm playing mellophone runs lights a fire in my heart and gets me pumped to go out on the field. Between the exciting visual moves, the crazy drill, and the testosterone fueled attitude I can't think of a corps, in my opinion, that comes closer to defining what I love about drum corps.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

Attitude. It's all about the attitude. The rakish tilt of the aussies, the arm sway of the cymbal players and drum majors, all of it represents that, "We're badasses, and you live in our world now." mentality that I love from SCV. On top of that, their 1989 Phantom of the Opera show sits high atop my all-time favorites show list. Plus, nothing seems to give me goosebumps quite like hearing the audience boom out a stadium-shaking, "VANGUARD!!!"

3. Spirit

Obviously I have personal ties here, seeing as I marched in 2005. As a southern man I respect and love the continued connection to dixie tradition: the playing of Georgia, the Dixie tag at the end of America/O'Canda, or walking off the field whistlin' Dixie. Here's to them keeping true to their southern roots and to many more years of competition. I do and always will bleed baby blue!

4. Madison Scouts

Loud. In your face, heart shaking, teeth vibrating, ear splitting, gasp educing, sweet, sweet volume. El Toro Caliente in 1995 still gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it, that crushing hit in the intro. I think I actually suffered hearing loss listening to the MSARP's performance... online. I also like Latin music, but that's not really why I love them. It's that dedication to, year in year out, deliver an old-school "blow the freakin' walls down"... nay, "balls to the wall" wall of sound, deafening audiences nationwide. Did you say something?

5. Pioneer

I respect them more than any other drum corps. It speaks volumes for the members, staff, and administration what this corps does every year. That is, even though they come in last place nearly ever year, members come back, staff come back, and the corps is more financially sound than most of the other corps in DCI. Makes you rethink your opinion of it all, doesn't it? Regardless of placement, their mission to get better every day moves my heart. If ever I feel that drum corps is going in the wrong direction, I look back at the celtic corps from Milwaukee and all is right in the world. Best if luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I had to revisit my top 5 after Finals week this year. Phantom jumped from 5th to 3rd. They were such an amazing corps this year and completely deserved to win. Good job Phantom!

BLUECOATS - no question

phantom- 1996, 2003, 2005,2006,2007,2008 amazing just to name a few. i love the jazz running in the end of the show.

madison-95-96, nuff said.

basically i like all corps this is drum corps it's awesome!

I really couldn't my finger on as to why they are and always have been my favorite corps, but then I read this:

Santa Clara Vanguard

Attitude. It's all about the attitude. The rakish tilt of the aussies, the arm sway of the cymbal players and drum majors, all of it represents that, "We're badasses, and you live in our world now." mentality that I love from SCV.

That pretty much sums it up. If I would have been good enough to march anywhere I wanted, it would have been SCV.