Phantom (didn't like them in the 80's)

SCV (especially the 80's)

Garfield

SkyRyders

27th Lancers

Star of Indiana

Troopers

Crown

I would be remiss to not say Sky Ryders. It is a nice feeling to see others feel that way.

1. Phantom, always has been always will be. Since 81 Spartacus.

2. Garfield, innovation and some of the best shows EVER.

3. Sky Ryders, STYLE, music and colorguard..... they actually used rifles and flags. I don't think bicycle wheels and fake rifles and sabers were invented yet.

4. Colts, MUSIC, they always have some of the most memorable tunes.

5. Star of Indiana, some of the best sounds and powerful shows ever.

1. Phantom Regiment

I started watching drum corps in 1988. Madison roped me in to the activity (see below) but in 1989, Phantom Regiment did something special and they were my corps from then on. There is something very special and unique about their sound, and their shows just speak to me every year. I have different corps APD's from throughout the years, but I have almost all the PR ones. There is something about their brass sound, the dark brooding emotion they are able to portray. And the crazy thing is that their sound hasn't changed (in my opinion) in the 20 years I have been following drum corps. They are my corps, hands down. Watching them in Indy the other night was something I will cherish always.

2. Carolina Crown

To me, they are everything that is right about drum corps. When I think of all the top corps and what each brings to the table, they all have something special, but Crown seems in some ways to be a throwback to the purity of drum corps. Sweet brass, fun, and an innocence that is enjoyable to watch over the last several years. I only expect more greatness from them in the future.

3. Madison Scouts

As stated above, Madison brought me into the fold. Watching the Maleguena show in 1988 on PBS as a teenager, I was entranced by the power that music could have. After their show, I couldn't get enough drum corps and thus began a 20 year ongoing love affair! By the way, I listen to the 1995 APD (A Drum Corps Fan's Dream) a lot! What a great interaction with the crowd. I wasn't at finals that year but I would imagine it was similar to this year's PR show interaction with the crowd.

4. Bluecoats

I taught my son this year how to "Blooooooo". He was a little sketchy about it at first because it sounded like "Boooo", but he really got into it (in Allentown). Ever since I saw "Autumn Leaves" and the MASSIVE snare line, I was hooked. The started to fade for me a little bit over the last few years until they played "Caravan" and then "Connexus" which remains one of my favorite shows of all time. I love how they mix in their standard bluesy jazzy feel with unconventional things.

5. Star of Indiana

Yes, I know they no longer exist, but back in the day, these guys were the rival to Phantom Regiment for me for my favorite corps. When they played Balshazaar's Feast, I had personally never heard anything like it before and I was hooked. They came back the next year and took the title with Roman Images. I saw them at a Preview of Champions show in Madison that year, and when the guard brought out those spinning mirrors, I was in awe. Plus they marched the glocks! I liked how they always pushed the envelope (in a good way).

6. Colts

I was supposed to march with the Colts in 1993. The one big regret of my life because it was my decision. They offered me a position playing cymbals. Because of the way the corps treated me during practices and some of the friendships I made, they will always be in my heart. I pull for Colts every year. Love you Colts!

7. Santa Clara Vanguard

I have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this corps, but mostly it is a love in. The not so nice part was 1989, when they took the title from my beloved Regiment. It was deserved, that much I admit. I always struggled with the fact that they played Phantom of the Opera two years in a row. Aside from that, I love the direction the corps has been going in the last few years and am very excited to see what they come up with next year. I also LOVE the cymbals every year and look forward to it.

8. Blue Stars

Truthfully, this corps should be a lot higher for me, and ask me next year and it probably will. I like that the history of this corps is long and storied, but even after moving to another division, the infrastructure, drive and tenacity was still there to focus and compete at the highest levels of DCI. I have watched them closely since they moved back into DI (World Class) and they have grown on me strongly. I am starting to feel a sense of loyalty because they are our most local corps here in Minnesota (LaCrosse is just across the border). If they still practice at Irondale High School in New Brighton, MN, I am hoping to volunteer for them this coming year.

Favorite corps?

Well, hey I'm from Rockford......Phantom Regiment.

Then, my favorites according to their color guard:

Dubuque Colts - almost any season the guard is great

Sky Ryders - never, ever seen such physical strength in a group of women

Velvet Knights - the costuming was fantastic

Star of Indiana - their guard, no matter what year, could do anything and it fit in perfectly with what the rest of the corp was doing (as someone else mentioned - the Spinning Mirrors was awsome)

....I'm already going into fits of Drum Corp withdrawl! Favorite scenes of drum corp are being removed from Internet. UGH! I NEED A FIX!!!!

Madison Scouts: saw them live for the first time at the Eastern Classic in 2001. This is the corps that introduced me to drum corps and I have never looked back. They perform with such energy and class it is unbelievable. The second they take the field, you can feel their presence...that aura of power! Can't beat 'em!

SCV: Similar to Madison in terms of attitude and bad-assness. Just their mere presence on the field makes you pay attention, and their performances reflect that every time.

Crossmen: Always a pleasure to watch and are constantly trying new things while keeping the respect to their tradition alive.

Phantom: Raw power-house brassline. Gives all new meaning to the pyramid of sound. Their ballads always bring me to tears.

Cadets: A very high level of pride and class both on and off the field. While I do not agree with a vast majority of what Hop is doing, this corps always impresses me with their level of performance and attention to details.

While all of the corps have their strengths, nobody rocks the stadium like the Scouts...enough said.