Your personal Favorite Corps

In Order

1. The Cadets, year upon year have allways connected with me (until recently, Hoppy i want my corps back!!).

2. Suncoast sound, Blew me away with Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child.

3. Star of indiana, Star were like a box of chocolates you never knew what you were going to get!

4. Madison Scouts, Introduced me to drum corps on their european tour in 88.

5. Phantom Regiment, Just Class.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils.- I love the up in your face jazz, and have always loved their drum line.

Bridgemen - The zanniness and again the drumline.

That would have to be SCV '89. When a show can bring goose bumps to your arms and tears to your eyes - that's a show!

Also loved the '68/69 Kilties and '66 Joaquin Caballeros. Goes back.

-JJA

'66-72 SCV

Favorite corps?

Well, hey I'm from Rockford......Phantom Regiment.

Then, my favorites according to their color guard:

Dubuque Colts - almost any season the guard is great

Sky Ryders - never, ever seen such physical strength in a group of women

Velvet Knights - the costuming was fantastic

Star of Indiana - their guard, no matter what year, could do anything and it fit in perfectly with what the rest of the corp was doing (as someone else mentioned - the Spinning Mirrors was awsome)

....I'm already going into fits of Drum Corp withdrawl! Favorite scenes of drum corp are being removed from Internet. UGH! I NEED A FIX!!!!

I hope this doesn't change your mind about the Sky Ryders, but their were quite a few men in that guard.............

Five Favorite 'active' corps in alphabetical order -

BLUE KNIGHTS - Personal bias as I aged out here nearly 25 years ago. There are things I wish the modern Blue Knights did differently but I totally respect the level of talent this corps attracts (as compared to back in my day) and I like the unique marching style that the corps has developed. There are some things like the little hitch in the step an instant before stepping off that are unique to the Blue Knights and I think it's great that they have some trademark footwork.

COLTS - Personal bias at work again as I've worked with the Colts in the past. I like the kids who march here, I like the style of the shows that the Colts do, and I like that the Colts organization does a good job of conveying that they are a part of a larger activity. It isn't just about the Colts and the young people who march there come out with a healthy love and respect for the activity at large. I've seen other corps where this isn't always the case.

MADISON SCOUTS - For nearly 30 years Madison has been one of my favorite corps every summer. Only once, 1995, have the Scouts had my very favorite show of the season but they have always been among my top three and that is not true of any other corps in the junior activity. Oh.......and it's cool that the original poster loved them from the start at Nightbeat in 2001. That first note was designed to get your attention!

PHANTOM REGIMENT - Like Madison a corps that was always 'among' my favorites but then they were fabulous in 1993 and turned in my favorite show of the season several times afer that. Some that come to mind include 1993, 97, 2003, and now, 2008.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD - I loved this corps through the 80's and into the early 1990's. Every show, every year. They have been up and down a bit in the post Gail Royer years (a pity) and, for some reason, the SCV shows I have liked the best over the last decade have often been the ones that placed the lowest. I do like that they have maintained that Vanguard bearing and they had the best new uniforms this year.

Now.......how about five favorite inactive or folded corps - in the order I think of them.....

MEMPHIS BLUES - I also marched here. Had the corps not folded before the end of 1983, I would have aged-out here. Some of my closest friends today are folks who shared the painful experience of having our corps fold beneath us 25 years ago. I loved the uniform colors and style. I loved the shows. I loved the closer arrangement of 'Can't Help Falling in Love' which is exactly what I did when I first encountered this corps at a DCS contest in 1981.

27th LANCERS - My first favorite corps. I was a high school band geek who believed that the music of Raph Vaughn Williams and Gustav Holst were the absolute best things ever written for wind band. Hearing a corps as sharp as the 27th Lancers put that literature on the field did it for me. The Lancers also broadened my horizons by introducing me to the music of Don Ellis.

FREELANCERS - If I had had one more season to march, I very well might have tried to have done it with the Freelancers based solely on how much I enjoyed seeing them every night on first tour in 1984. Through the early 1980's they put some real audience friendly shows on the field.

SOUTHWIND - A class organization which has always been among the 'good citizens' of the drum corps community. It would recall some tragic things that are not mine to type here if I were to explain exactly why I feel this way about this corps. They were good folks in Alabama. They have been good folks in Kentucky. I really, really hope that we see them again on the field soon.

and........I don't want to be controversial here.....hopefully most of you will understand what I'm trying to say -

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA - A hornline that was peel paint loud but sweet as iced tea on a sultry night. We're talking the late 70's through the mid-80's. Yes, I know that the corps has moved to Alabama and exists in a modern era form......BUT the it's been years since we've seen anything like the Spirit of Atlanta that first declared war on our eardrums 30 years ago and gee, do I miss them.

1. Academy because they are my corps and I love the upstart especially when they are aware of their place in the activity.

2. Cavies because I love their visuals

3. Phantom because I love their music

4. SCV because I love their class

5. Madison because they were my first WOW moment (in 1975) that put me on the path to still being involved in this amazing activity over 30 years later

6. The rest of activity (active and inactive, junior and senior) because, in the end, no matter whether I like them or not, I am totally in awe of their commitment and heritage. :laughing:

1. The Cadets

What can I say? They're my alma mater...Love that they stretch their talent more than any other corps, and aren't afraid to take risks instead of resting on their laurels. Love the tradition, the class. The marching style. Even before I was a member, all the fantastic instructors that came from there...75 years of excellence...FHNSAB

2. SCV

Usually love their musical selections, great drill, always love their military bearing and class. Great aura around this corps.

My top five this year:

Madison Scouts

Cavaliers

Troopers

Carolina Crown

Blue Devils

I have a few, it's impossible to pick just one.

1. The Cadets (Just didn't like this year's show...)- They opened me up to the world of Drum Corps in 2005, and have captivated me since then, with their current shows, and past shows. So many great years, and a lot of history making. Not to mention they have given me my best drum corps related experience of my life when I was one of the winners of their essay contest in 2007. A really touching experience, and has inspired me to audition next year. Thanks to all involved.

2. Phantom Regiment- Pure power with great music. '91, '92, '96, '98, '03, '05, '07, and '08 are the highlight years for me.

3. Carolina Crown- Just great, entertaining shows. Hope to see you win soon.

4. SCV- Some great shows, some of which I wish received more recognition...

5. Star of Indiana- Sadly you had to leave the football field so soon.

Edited by PhantomCadet1934