Your personal Favorite Corps

5. Santa Clara Vanguard

They always make me think with their shows, like those movies that you have to watch like 80 times before you completely understand the story. Their music is very well arranged and complements the show greatly.

4. Bluecoats

As of recently they have redesigned their image and style, and I love it. Their shows are very creative. I though nothing could top 07 Criminal, then they did 08 Knockout and it was better, I can't wait to see what they have in store for 09! Their hornline has a very sonorous and poerful sound, and their technique is great. (see 07 tubas :sad: )

3. Blue Devils

These guys (and girls) are the corps that really show precision and dominance. The hornline is so clean every year and they put out a great sound. The uni's really make them look tall and in your face (although 08 not so much with the added white, the black looked more aggressive) Their shows as of recently I have enjoyed a lot, minus the ballads, but so be it. Regardless I still love this corps.

And in second place.................which is actually..a tie for fir (AHHHHHHHHHHH)

In Alphabetical order, The Cadets and Phantom Regiment

2 words can sum up why these 2 corps are my top favorite. Demand and Difficulty.

No other corps demand so much out of their members with the difficulty of the show; music, drill and everything than these 2 corps. These 2 corps have the best hornlines in drum corps, the difficulty of the music combined with the level of excellence they play it with astonishes me every time I watch them.

The Cadets drill is my favorite drill out of any corps, it's always fresh and new, and seems to become more difficult every year. Their hornline has a great upper brass sound and their low brass has a rich balanced sound that together makes for one hell of a hornline. The tradition of innovation they have is another thing that is unique to them, they're the ones putting themselves out to dry trying new things, and figuring out how to make it successful, and it's obviously working/worked for them. Their uni's also are the most BA uniforms in drum corps. The colors just stand out on the field and the way they present themselves makes them who they are, which is why I love them.

Phantom Regiment's drill as of recently has been written extremely well and with the design team they have now, makes for a great show. The hornline has the most rich sonorous sound of out any hornline and they prove to be one of the crowd favorites year after year, while still achieving a very high level of excellence. The uni's don't do as much as Cadets uni's do, but when you see them, you know it's Phantom Regiment. I love classical music, which is another reason I love them, it doesn't get much better than having Elsa's as your corps song. :drool:

I tried to keep everything I said positive, and I think I did a good job.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Phantom Regiment.

Great show concepts and music. Lot of friends have marched there. If I had the opportunity I would have as well

2.) Blue Knights.

...cause I marched there

3.) SCV

"Badassery" as someone put it

4.) Madison Scouts

Crowd pleasing group

This is hard because I love nearly every show I watch, but OK, I will bite:

SCV

Madison

Garfield Cadets

Phantom

27th Lancers - How could I forget!

Spartans of Nashua (Because they gave me Drum Corps when I had to work a job, and I really had fun with it!)

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

Edited by Spartans87

my favorite corps is the phantom regiment, by a landslide. from 1989 through 2008, there are maybe 5 years where they didn't have my favorite show. everything i love about drum corps, in one corps, all the time.

after that it's pretty close between scv and cadets :thumbup:

Edited by Kekkles

5. Santa Clara Vanguard

They always make me think with their shows, like those movies that you have to watch like 80 times before you completely understand the story. Their music is very well arranged and complements the show greatly.

4. Bluecoats

As of recently they have redesigned their image and style, and I love it. Their shows are very creative. I though nothing could top 07 Criminal, then they did 08 Knockout and it was better, I can't wait to see what they have in store for 09! Their hornline has a very sonorous and poerful sound, and their technique is great. (see 07 tubas :w00t: )

3. Blue Devils

These guys (and girls) are the corps that really show precision and dominance. The hornline is so clean every year and they put out a great sound. The uni's really make them look tall and in your face (although 08 not so much with the added white, the black looked more aggressive) Their shows as of recently I have enjoyed a lot, minus the ballads, but so be it. Regardless I still love this corps.

And in second place.................which is actually..a tie for fir (AHHHHHHHHHHH)

In Alphabetical order, The Cadets and Phantom Regiment

2 words can sum up why these 2 corps are my top favorite. Demand and Difficulty.

No other corps demand so much out of their members with the difficulty of the show; music, drill and everything than these 2 corps. These 2 corps have the best hornlines in drum corps, the difficulty of the music combined with the level of excellence they play it with astonishes me every time I watch them.

The Cadets drill is my favorite drill out of any corps, it's always fresh and new, and seems to become more difficult every year. Their hornline has a great upper brass sound and their low brass has a rich balanced sound that together makes for one hell of a hornline. The tradition of innovation they have is another thing that is unique to them, they're the ones putting themselves out to dry trying new things, and figuring out how to make it successful, and it's obviously working/worked for them. Their uni's also are the most BA uniforms in drum corps. The colors just stand out on the field and the way they present themselves makes them who they are, which is why I love them.

Phantom Regiment's drill as of recently has been written extremely well and with the design team they have now, makes for a great show. The hornline has the most rich sonorous sound of out any hornline and they prove to be one of the crowd favorites year after year, while still achieving a very high level of excellence. The uni's don't do as much as Cadets uni's do, but when you see them, you know it's Phantom Regiment. I love classical music, which is another reason I love them, it doesn't get much better than having Elsa's as your corps song. :thumbup:

I tried to keep everything I said positive, and I think I did a good job.

WELL DONE! :lol: Classy all the way!

As a newbie to DCP and only a recent fan of DCI, I have been befuddled as to why, when speaking of "other" corps, some posters find it necessary to discuss (and in many cases exaggerate) the negative. When in reality, it is merely a condition of being "less awesome". Any one of these corps (top to bottom) are amazing in their own way! And presented to a non-DCI crowd (assuming they weren't there for the beer), they would be received with great appreciation and awe. I can still remember 4 years ago watching DCI on ESPN2 for the first time with my son, it was unimaginable what they were doing. Although I am more familiar with it now, it's still amazing to me and I hope it never changes.

For those out there that marched, I can only try to understand why some are a bit "jaded" and vocal against other corps. I was in the military for a long time and among the special ops units there was a rivalry that existed, but we never forgot how each other were at a level of execution that was unparalleled anywhere, no matter what the color of the beret.

By the way, I now know what the term "dirty" means (and other such performance related terms), they are perfectly acceptable and necessary when describing why one was better than another in some area. I see nothing wrong with healthy criticism, it's one of the reasons why people visit this site. In fact, I have made comments about DCI's management of the "drama" this year (merely perceived on my part) which will remain unsubstantiated, but not directed at any corps performance. They're all too good!

I thought I had already logged mine in, but it's never too late:

1) BK- Was asked recently if I had not marched there would I still like them? The answer is most definitely YES! I love that they are so dramatically different and imaginative. I also am a sucker for dark brooding music. I have a hope to one day see BK do the Star '93 program arranged their way with their own visual concept to it.

2) Phantom- Nothing as a brass person puts more emotion in your heart than listening to the Regiment's hornline. Too me this is just one corps that is the definition of a class act.

3) Madison- Madison '88 was the first DCI show I ever saw and I still love it!!! Whether it was Pirates of Lake Mendota to Drum Corps Fans Dream the Scouts are drum corps!!

4) SCV- There is something about watching SCV come onto a field that I think makes them the most intimidating group. Maybe it is the crispness of the marching, the tuba arm movement or the visuals throughout their shows year to year, but I love SCV. I think I anticipate seeing them each year as much as I do BK. If there were another corps I would have marched if given the opportunity it would have the Vanguard.

5) Star- Man I wish these guys were here in the ranks. Maybe one of these year that rumor of them making a retur will come to pass. Surely it has got to be tough for Bill Cook to go to DCI oin Indiana for the next ten years and not see Star there, but whatever. Even though I think the Pink Star unis were hideous I did not think that about the corps. There is not single Star show that I do not like and in fact I think to this day the most inventive show ever done was Star of '93.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Current Favorites:

#1 Cavaliers- Innovative, Creative and Freakin' Awesome year after year.

#2 Phantom Regiment- Fell in love with their low brass back in the 80's

#3 Carolina Crown- For coming out and entertaining the audience

#4 Bluecoats- Great looking corps on the field and love their entertaining shows

#5 Santa Clara Vanguard- More so in the 80's and 90's and hopefully they will revisit some of the shows from their past

Past Favorites:

#1 Spirit of Atlanta- My first real memory of drum corps back in 1979 & 1980. Horn line blew me back 5 rows!!!

#2 Velvet Knights- 1992 one of my absolute favorite drum corps shows!

#3 Suncoast Sound- Great Horn Lines and Theme Shows

#4 Sky Ryders- Love the musicals; West Side Story, Wizzard of Oz, Sound of Music, Brigadoon and Camelot.

#5(Tie) 27th Lancers- Loved them in 1979 and early 80's. Such a presence on the field!

Star of Indiana- To bad the fans couldn't get past the money issues. These kids were great every year and deserved to be treated better by the DCI fans. They would probably be around today if it weren't for the a-hole people that actually booed these kids on the field.

Bridgemen- How could you not love these crazy banana's. Pure fun with a great drum line!

Edited by G Dave