Blue Devils

OK, so I go to the 12 corps open show at Madison last night and Blue Devils B plays. Acadamy a couple of years ago should have been in the world group. This BDB corps should be now. They are easily a top 15 world corps. There is another corps with the goods hiding behind an open designation. World needs corps, Blue Devils B needs competition, hand in hand, too bad that once again we won't get to see it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Devils B has competition that they will see tonight! The only competition that we have seen all season is Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets. Now that this Midwest tour has started, we will see Jersey Surf, Teal Sound, etc...etc... the competition that Blue Devils B has "needed" all season.

Matt Smith

Blue Devils B

Brass Staff 2008

Cascades

Brass Staff 2006-2007

Edited by Matthew

:smile:

Blue Devils B has competition, and if you want to see it, then go and watch the Open Class Championships Prelims, Semi-finals, or finals this coming week.

I have seen the Vanguard Cadets, and Oregon Crusaders. Still not in the same plain. My gripe isn't really about the lack of competition in the open class, it is more about the lack of those top corps from being able to compete in the worlds quarters. If you have the goods, then compete. I would love to go to the open semis and finals, but that darn work thing just doesn't let me leave all summer. Last night marked my 18th show of the season. Maybe if open would hold their quarters, semis, and finals the weekend before, instead of starting in the beginning of the week. Just an idea, but my main point is to see top open corps in quarters. They do belong, whether world wants to believe or not. They might just be scared of a little competition.

But don't you think by definition; Blue Devils B has its place in the home organization and it is not to put out 2 World ranked units??! That would be competing against itself. Instead I think the purpose is to train younger individuals and give them the skills they need to succeed at the World level.

I think it just means they are VERY successful in accomplishing that mission.

it's the same with Vanguard Cadets and Colt Cadets...their function is not to move up into world class, their function is to provide a quality learning experience for their members, most of who probably aspire to move into the "A" corps of their organizations.

yes, BDB was great last night but i wouldn't say they are top 15. possibly 18th, but might not even be that.

(and yes i do know that SCVC competed in div i three times under the old rules, but it was never the intention to go div i)

Edited by tubawarrior

I think the only way BD B moves into World is if they break off from the BD organization and form a new identity. Till then, if ever, they'll be an Open class corps.

Edited by HPUEuph

Be careful watch you wish for. The Vanguard Cadets were a Div I semi-finalist corps in 2000. As I recall, they were smokin' that year and the spot was richly deserved. But it was also kind of sobering to consider that DCI 'needed' a cadet corps to round out the semifinals competition.

I never thought that drum corps would become so literal. Everyone should enjoy the experience. So what if an organization has two corps in the same division? I always thought that drum crops was for the people performing and the people audience. Let the dice fall where they may! I used to cherish the times when David tried to take on Goliath. There were corps of all different levels competing and some of the lower corps sometimes proved more entertaining and often had the most heart. I can remember when a corps from Massachusetts competed at DCI East with a small corps of young kids with only 29 horns. Although they didn’t place in finals, they took high color guard in prelims over all the big guns and they allowed them to put on and exhibition in finals. That little corps soon became a power to recon with called, Alliance.

I seem to remember Orlando Magic winning Division II and go on to make finals.

Edited by dancingfrog