Blue Devils

But don't you think by definition; Blue Devils B has its place in the home organization and it is not to put out 2 World ranked units??! That would be competing against itself. Instead I think the purpose is to train younger individuals and give them the skills they need to succeed at the World level.

I think it just means they are VERY successful in accomplishing that mission.

When you have "kids" aging out of a cadet corps, then the mission isn't really on move ups( in that organization ). I have no problem with them in their designation, but I do have a problem with them NOT having the availability to move into the world class quarters. Reward these ageouts with a taste of the world. My problem isn't with them, its with the rules. And tubawarrior, I honestly believe after having seen those bottom 5 corps in world several times, that BDB could compete and maybe place as high as 15th, just my opinion. It was an awesome show, except I never heard the 50/50 drawing and may have missed out on the chance to give you guys my winnings. Either way, beautiful stadium, nice night and some really good drum corps. Too bad alot of elitists won't even listen to an open corps. They have no clue what they are missing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember Orlando Magic winning Division II and go on to make finals.

I seem to recall that that was more of a fluke due to a rules technicality. After several years as a Div I finalist or finalist contender in the late 90's, Magic went inactive for two years. When they came back after their year off, they couldn't 'declare' themselves Div I and had to come out as Div II. Hardly a David - more like a Goliath thumping on the 'real' Div II corps.

The thing however isn't with Magic and the like but the cadet corps. I don't think we'll be seeing a cadet corp in World anytime soon unless they decide to break off because of what they're designed to do and not to mention their allegiance to the parent organization.

I seem to remember Orlando Magic winning Division II and go on to make finals.

i didn't know the basketball team was on the field (the corps was called Magic of Orlando), all kidding aside, they didn't have a cadets corps...they were one corps. that's kinda the point of this thread i do believe...it's not that these corps couldn't compete and be successful as world class corps, but that it is not the purpose of these corps to try to do so.

as far as those that age-out of cadets corps, it may not be that the corps is loosing sight of the mission, it could just be that the member does not quite have the talent to make it in the "A" corps, but does very well where they are. or maybe they have such a good time as a younger member that they choose to stay in the "B" corps (i don't really know how they work so i don't know if a member can choose).

Edited by tubawarrior

OK, so I go to the 12 corps open show at Madison last night and Blue Devils B plays. Acadamy a couple of years ago should have been in the world group. This BDB corps should be now. They are easily a top 15 world corps. There is another corps with the goods hiding behind an open designation. World needs corps, Blue Devils B needs competition, hand in hand, too bad that once again we won't get to see it.

Ok... Hi Knee-jerk Reaction! BDB is hot this year. No doubt. But SCV Cadets have been way out in front of them in recent years. So have other Open Class corps. One season is not a determinant...or at least shouldn't be a determinant...for a corps moving to World.

Be careful watch you wish for. The Vanguard Cadets were a Div I semi-finalist corps in 2000. As I recall, they were smokin' that year and the spot was richly deserved. But it was also kind of sobering to consider that DCI 'needed' a cadet corps to round out the semifinals competition.

2000 Semi Finals:

1 The Cadets 97.400

2 Cavaliers 96.700

3 Blue Devils 95.800

4 Santa Clara Vanguard 94.450

5 Boston Crusaders 92.050

6 Blue Knights 91.200

7 Phantom Regiment 90.850

8 Glassmen 90.700

9 Crossmen 88.700

10 Madison Scouts 86.050

11 Carolina Crown 86.000

12 Bluecoats 85.150

13 Southwind 84.950

14 Colts 82.300

15 Spirit of Atlanta 80.650

16 Pioneer 77.600

17 SC Vanguard Cadets 74.700

Quarter Finals:

1 The Cadets 96.700

2 Cavaliers 96.400

3 Blue Devils 95.450

4 Santa Clara Vanguard 93.650

5 Boston Crusaders 90.750

6 Blue Knights 90.500

7 Glassmen 89.900

8 Phantom Regiment 89.200

9 Crossmen 87.900

10 Madison Scouts 85.700

11 Carolina Crown 85.450

12 Bluecoats 85.100

13 Southwind 84.950

14 Colts 83.700

15 Spirit of Atlanta 79.050

16 Pioneer 77.650

17 SC Vanguard Cadets 74.500

18 Mandarins 74.350

19 Troopers 73.650

20 Kiwanis Kavaliers 71.700

21 Jersey Surf 71.400

22 Patriots 69.050

23 Seattle Cascades 67.500

24 Tarheel Sun 66.850

DIVISION II Finals

1 Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets 94.350

2 Mandarins 94.300

3 Patriots 91.150

4 Jersey Surf 90.850

5 Blue Stars 89.550

DIVISION III Finals

1 Seattle Cascades 89.700

2 Americanos 87.900

3 Cincinnati Glory 85.850

4 General Butler Vagabonds 85.100

5 Yamato 82.700

6 Capital Regiment 81.450

7 Les Senateurs 78.750

Blue Devils B has competition that they will see tonight! The only competition that we have seen all season is Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets. Now that this Midwest tour has started, we will see Jersey Surf, Teal Sound, etc...etc... the competition that Blue Devils B has "needed" all season.

Matt Smith

Blue Devils B

Brass Staff 2008

Cascades

Brass Staff 2006-2007

Matt is exactly right. BDB has a beautiful show this year (maybe the best one they have ever had), but lets just take it a show at a time. I can guarentee you thats what BDB is doing.

looking forward to tonight.

Cali.

I've been amazed by BDB for years now, and this year's corps is particularly fired-up.

Wishin' 'em all the best this coming week ...

I too hope they do well. All other things aside, I just wish they could move into quarters for world. I have no problem at all with "kids" aging out of a corps, any corps. The more that stick around that long the better. It only makes drum corps stronger.

I too hope they do well. All other things aside, I just wish they could move into quarters for world. I have no problem at all with "kids" aging out of a corps, any corps. The more that stick around that long the better. It only makes drum corps stronger.

I doubt it will ever happen again, though I agree that it was cool to see the top D II/III corps in Quarters (and, occasionally, higher.)

Since Open Class isn't decided until Saturday now, you'd have to either 1) allow corps to compete in both Open and Worlds (which was once possible, many years ago when they were known as A and A-60 corps) or 2) reschedule Open finals to Wednesday, which those corps oppose because they have a smaller audience.

Playing Devil's Advocate, though, if I'm the director of a dominant Open Class corps, might I delay moving into World Class because I know I'd make quarters/semis in Worlds anyway?