PR's herald trumpets

I heard mention of "herald trumpets" in PR's show and thought it referred to the musical fanfare at the start of the show, but DCI.org has a nice big picture of Phantom's trumpets using actual "herald trumpets," with yard-long bells and purple and gold banners hanging off them. It's pretty great. How awesome would it be to do basics with those things? Must be a little bell-heavy! Anyway, when did they add these unique instruments which add just another level of over-the-top-ness to their great show? Looking at pics from Atlanta it seems they were not used then.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard mention of "herald trumpets" in PR's show and thought it referred to the musical fanfare at the start of the show, but DCI.org has a nice big picture of Phantom's trumpets using actual "herald trumpets," with yard-long bells and purple and gold banners hanging off them. It's pretty great. How awesome would it be to do basics with those things? Must be a little bell-heavy! Anyway, when did they add these unique instruments which add just another level of over-the-top-ness to their great show? Looking at pics from Atlanta it seems they were not used then.

These are in the key of Bb?

They are welcome additions to an already masterful telling of Spartacus, but there were some pretty nasty fracks and articulations in last nights show during the section. PR will have to clean that up to fully play out the effect.

Didn't they use those before? Maybe 1998?

MIKE

Yes, they used them during the Pines of Rome show in 1998!

that was my favorite part of the show.....the backfield part of the closer. thought the 'arrival moment' when the hornline turned around was very anti-climatic, but the build to that point was still cool.

My first 'hands on' experience with herald trumpets happened last year when CrossmenXtreme used them for the Star Spangled Banner. They are in several keys in order to provide for a full brass band spectrum. This includes an Eb, and a bass trumpet. They are indeeed top heavy and our biggest problem was that our sound began at the bell and it was difficult to actually 'hear' our centers thereby exposing us to a less than accuratepitch consciousness. They were also very tight.......meaning a smaller sound projection cone than we were used to. Our horns were borrowed from Valley Forge Military Academy.

I'd love to see/hear PR using them........

Jim