Indy to Bloomington Travel Issues

This is just a friendly note for all of you traveling from Indianapolis to Bloomington (including the DCI fan buses). I live on the SW side of Indianapolis, and as of July 31st, the I-465 WESTBOUND exit to IN-37 South (the main route to Bloomington) is CLOSED for construction.

This means that any of you in the downtown area should HEAD WEST on I-70 or something else to get to I-465 South on the west side of the city. This southbound route will then wrap you around the corner of the city and will eventually take you east on I-465. This allows you to access the EASTBOUND exit to IN-37 just fine. Otherwise, you'll find yourself having to get off at US-31, or heading out to I-74 west before you'll find anything to get you back to IN-37.

Hopefully this isn't confusing. Basically, if you want to get on IN-37 and head south, you MUST do it while heading EASTBOUND on I-465 on the south side.

Good luck! :smile:

Great tip. Thanks!

This specifically doesn't impact me because I'll be coming from 65 South to 465 South then East to 37 South.

However, do I need to plan some extra time for slow traffic through construction in the area on Friday afternoon? I wouldn't want to be late getting in for Semis. But I also don't want to have to get up any earlier than necessary on Friday morning after being in the theater late on Thursday night. :smile:

THANKS for the help....would the same apply for those of us going from the airport straight to bloomington?

Edited by GREENBLUE

Here's the best way to get around that, especially if you're at or near the airport.

Take the Kentucky Avenue exit on 465. It's exit 9-A or 9-B (Mapquest can tell you for certain). Turn left at the light at the bottom of the ramp; this will put you on I-67 going southwest. Follow this for about 20 miles, through Mooresville, and it will eventually take you to Martinsville and I-37. From there it's a straight shot to Bloomington.

THANKS for the help....would the same apply for those of us going from the airport straight to bloomington?

No, the airport is already on the west side. Just head south on I-465, that will wrap into East I-465, then you'll be at the EASTBOUND exit to IN-37. So your exit will be open and you'll have no problems like those coming from downtown or the east side.

Here's the best way to get around that, especially if you're at or near the airport.

Take the Kentucky Avenue exit on 465. It's exit 9-A or 9-B (Mapquest can tell you for certain). Turn left at the light at the bottom of the ramp; this will put you on I-67 going southwest. Follow this for about 20 miles, through Mooresville, and it will eventually take you to Martinsville and I-37. From there it's a straight shot to Bloomington.

No, that's incorrect! Being at the airport.. everyone coming from there will be fine. The eastbound exit to IN-37 is open.

Again, this is only for those heading WESTBOUND on I-465 on the south side. The airport is on the west side already and getting to 37 means everyone will head EAST and will be ok.

Maybe this will help illustrate what I mean....

Any of you coming FROM the east aren't going to be able to exit at 37. Yes, there are ways around this, but if you're not familiar with Indy, then taking 70 Westbound to 465 south/east from downtown would be ideal (highlighted in green here). Otherwise you can take Kentucky Ave from the city as the poster above said for the airport suggestion (but don't take this if you're ONLY coming from the airport), because 37 would still be the quicker route, and you'd want to take 465.

Anyway, enjoy! :smile:

465-37-construction.jpg

I'm assuming it's just the actual exit that's closed? If so, those traveling westbound on 465 could proceed past the exit, and then either double back or take the route down 67 that Matt mentioned. 67 is a slower route, but that's mostly due to the fact that you'll deal with more lights, especially around Mooresville. I've had family take that route, while I took 37, driving down to IU, and it didn't add much time at all to their trip.