Dayton OH "Summer Classic" show

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a shot of members of Teal Sound's brass line performing the National Anthem:

IMAGE_061.jpg

The first comptitive corps for tonight is Yamato. Their 2008 production (courtesy of CorpsReps.com) is Mythos and features original music by John Meehan.

OK, due to the weak wireless signal here at the stadium, I've had to tether my laptop to my cell phone's internet connection. As a result, I won't be able to take any more pictures.

Good start for Yamato. The year off hasn't seemed to affect them in terms of recruiting or talent. They need to be careful, though. A couple of the horn body moves during their hits look too much like pelvic thrusts. What mythos are we performing here???

Guard is now on rifles. Cymbals were off the field, didn't see what they were doing, but they're now back on. There's 5 cymbals, 4 tenors, 5 basses, and 6 snares, pretty good sized drum line. Music is very modern, as in stabbing and aggressive.

Mello, then trumpet soloist just did a great job on their respective solos. Trumpets now have a feature in the middle of the field with rifles performing in front of them. Feature now moves to mellos on the other side of the field. Low brass gets their shot, but they do it moving so they're automatically cooler.

8 in the pit, by the way, and 1 DM. I'm trying to count the guard, but some are behind the pit and I'm right at field level.

Drums just did a great solo with major accelerando.

Solo rifle just did a GIANT toss (and, yes, he caught it). Strong finish to the show. Welcome back, Yamato!

I think that may be the first time I've seen Yamato live.

By the way, anybody here from Klein High School in Houston? Lynda Eubanks is the director there. I had the pleasure of working with her band when she was director at Valley Forge High School in Parma, Ohio, back in 2002.

8 guard for Yamato.