Violence and Phantom 2008

Thank you. You have a very nice drum corps. :tongue:

Incorrect my butt. Why don't you contact your souvie department and speak with the nasty woman running it a few years ago. She saw one of my comments, and PM'd me to tell me how embarrassed she was that people heard her innappropriate comments towards the Scouts.

I guess if Phantom taught their people class, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

Edited by Chris Scott

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just the Phantom way. Most of the negative responses to the original posters concern come from Phantom people. I know I will get nailed for this post, but it's unfortunately the truth. They are the worst sports off the field. I haven't gone near their souvie booth ever since they called the Scouts colorguards a bunch of names that weren't appropriate after getting beat by them. I can only imagine what was said there this year as Crown beat them several times(hopefully 3 more times this season)

If they showed a little more class, they might get a little more respect.

As for the violence, it probably isn't needed. I don't personally have any problems with it, but have seen other corps do cooler things with it(Scouts 97 for example). It should be good for 4th place this year.

Edited by Chris Scott

Yes there are bad eggs in every bunch. Unfortunately Phantom seems to have more than the average dozen.

As far as the comments to the original poster, why not jsut answer the question as "No there isn't too much violence" as opposed to making fun of the original poster? I think the total rudeness and arrogance of the corps shows through comments like the ones made by people on the boards.

I am writing this as a parent...

I took my son to see the show at Toledo last night including the somewhat violent show of Phantom Regiment. On the 3 hour drive back home he kept waking up

saying "Daddy don't let him stab me."

By the way, he's got a birthday coming up. Any suggestions? He'll be 25 and he's into music. :tongue:

Yes there are bad eggs in every bunch. Unfortunately Phantom seems to have more than the average dozen.

As far as the comments to the original poster, why not jsut answer the question as "No there isn't too much violence" as opposed to making fun of the original poster? I think the total rudeness and arrogance of the corps shows through comments like the ones made by people on the boards.

Not really.

The arrogance of the boards show through comments made by people on the boards.

This is DCP in case you haven't heard. It is also the Internet. One would and should expect this kind of flaming on the Internet.

Maybe you had a bad experience with PR in the past, and that is terrible. Those who said it are obviously not the brightest of the bunch, but honestly you're being quite unfair in judging how all members and fans of Phantom Regiment act based on very few people. This is incredibly common, so I can't blame you for it. I actually was contemplating not trying out for Madison Scouts for fear of coming on DCP as a Dinosaur and arguing about how Scott Stewart and Sal Salas are mortal enemies. (see part of the 2008 Scouts thread for details)

But if there's anything that I've learned being a part of a marching organization, it's that you absolutely CANNOT judge a group by a few members/associated fans. No matter how easy it is to do so.

Not really.

The arrogance of the boards show through comments made by people on the boards.

This is DCP in case you haven't heard. It is also the Internet. One would and should expect this kind of flaming on the Internet.

Maybe you had a bad experience with PR in the past, and that is terrible. Those who said it are obviously not the brightest of the bunch, but honestly you're being quite unfair in judging how all members and fans of Phantom Regiment act based on very few people. This is incredibly common, so I can't blame you for it. I actually was contemplating not trying out for Madison Scouts for fear of coming on DCP as a Dinosaur and arguing about how Scott Stewart and Sal Salas are mortal enemies. (see part of the 2008 Scouts thread for details)

But if there's anything that I've learned being a part of a marching organization, it's that you absolutely CANNOT judge a group by a few members/associated fans. No matter how easy it is to do so.

Bravo. *applauds*

While I am ecstatic over Phantom Regiment’s success this year, I am very disheartened by their depiction of violence by beating the crap out of the slaves while entering the field and the very literal depiction of the murder of four people during the show.

There have been numerous shows in the past that have depicted war, violence, death, anger, fights, etc. in such a way as to avoid the need to be so literal as to have actual murders enacted on the field (or on the conductor’s podium). People complain about narration being too literal and not being needed to get the point across if the design of the show is solid. I contend that the literal depiction of murders and beatings is not needed to get the point across of the atrocities in Sparta.

I see your point, and understand it, but I don't agree with it. Well put, though.

Also, Spartacus, despite the name, has nothing to do with Sparta. It's about Rome. :tongue:

hey i know, while we are at it, lets rewrite all the history books too, wouldn't want children to think history is violent.

How about leaving young children at home instead of subjecting the rest of the public to their behavior when they are 4.5 years old?

Well, sorry to fly in the face of your presumption of behavior, but my daughter was quiet, still and engaged for almost all of the show. When she was having difficulty I had no trouble getting her attention back on the show. The only time she talked out loud noticeably (i.e. not whispering in my ear) was when she was trying to figure out why there was a stage and people talking on the field in the middle of a certain show. I got her to be quiet by simply redirecting her attention yet again to the guard (her favorite section of every corps right now).

I wasn't going to bother justifying myself at first, but then I thought it would be nice for people to know that not all 4.5 year old children are incapable of handling a drum corps show. Know your kids. That's all it's about.

We never took our 3-8 year olds out for dinner at a sit down place.

That's funny. We take our 4.5 year old out to sit-down restaurants all the time. She's great (most of the time), and when she's not she's easily manageable.

Your kids, my kid, all kids = different.