Worlds Quarterfinals attendance

After being at a number of Open Class (formerly Division II & III Quarterfinals) that had less than 200 people in attendance, I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful turnout for the DCI World Championship Open Class Quarterfinals at Ames Field in Michigan City.

Estimates of people in the stands from people I spoke with ranged from 1600 to over 2000. (The stadium when packed seats 3150.

The audience was quite receptive to the corps and was very enthusiastic. There were more locals there than I've ever seen at a Division II & III World Championships show in the past.

Seeing the turnout (compared to what I've seen before), the decision to move this event to Michigan City and give the corps a huge audience must be thoroughly vindicated.

I even heard two people with different corps express being sorry that more of the Open Class events aren't being held in Michigan City.

Great job, Mike Pease and the Michigan City committee!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan City is truly, in my opinion, the most fan-friendly drum corps city...PERIOD. Seeing over 1500 in the stands, all cheering for every corps, was fantastic. Even as early as the first corps (Spirit of Newark) the crowd was enthusiastically cheering.

Bravo Michigan City for hosting a great quarterfinals...and here's to a great future with the Kickoff event for Championships Week!

Michigan City is truly, in my opinion, the most fan-friendly drum corps city...PERIOD. Seeing over 1500 in the stands, all cheering for every corps, was fantastic. Even as early as the first corps (Spirit of Newark) the crowd was enthusiastically cheering.

Bravo Michigan City for hosting a great quarterfinals...and here's to a great future with the Kickoff event for Championships Week!

Beats the daylights out of playing to a Quarterfinals stadium with maybe 150 in the stands.

Beats the daylights out of playing to a Quarterfinals stadium with maybe 150 in the stands.

Also beats the daylights out of playing the entire show in the daylight, as well! :smile:

Some corps had pretty terrible housing or rehearsal facilities in Michigan City, but the stadium was nice.

Yeah, and maybe it wasn't such a good idea to give Teal Sound a site so close to the stadium. :lol:

Some corps had pretty terrible housing or rehearsal facilities in Michigan City, but the stadium was nice.

I was able to just drive in and get a hotel room, which was very inexpensive and newly refurbished. Velvet Knights had a pretty nice setup, along with 2 other corps at the HS. I wish we could have just stayed there all week!

It reminded me of a mini Madison, with food places all around and a friendly pub right on the edge of the stadium. I know the staffers had a good time doing karaoke in that little free time they got.