Open Class Semifinals Thread

So I was watching on the Fan Network and I detected a few "audio" problems (in addition) with

BDB's show.

1. Train Whistle during warm-ups (those tracks must be right up against the stadium).

2. Did the stadium speakers kick on right before the step-off? Anybody else hear that?

3. BDB had issues with their amps (or so it seemed). Feedback or echo or something.

Hard to tell from where I was sitting.

BDB still has the most entertaining, balanced, and dynamic (IMHO), show out there in Open Class.

I suspect they will rebound tomorrow and prove it.

Congrats to all the Corps today. A fine effort.

Cali.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tracks about 2 blocks south of the stadium (looking at Google maps here). There were sirens going off during other corps' shows as well. And yeah, something kicked in at the beginning there... sounded like one of the DCI promo ads.

Couldn't see the show today, but is there something going on with Teal's show that would indicate why they are falling behind the rest of the Top 5? Couple a days ago, they were in the thick of things.

Awesome performance by surf. Solid music all the way through. A big leap from their days of beach chairs and marching Elvi. Kudos!

Hey now. :thumbup:

Hey now. :thumbup:

Just for the record,

I liked the marching Elvi

Great stuff in OC this year! Could be anyone's game!

Couldn't see the show today, but is there something going on with Teal's show that would indicate why they are falling behind the rest of the Top 5? Couple a days ago, they were in the thick of things.

I am not sure of anything major. Drill design might be an issue. I do know that visually their semis performance was not as clean as I have seen them this season.

My take on the top few corps, which regrettably are the only ones I got to see today online:

- BDB's show is the most well-designed product out there. It has the best flow and logical transitions, and it doesn't try to be more than a top open class program while not feeling "dumbed down" (if that makes any sense). I think BDB will open their lead a little bit tomorrow and take home, I think, their first ever DCI championship. I was surprised at the poor intonation of their brassline at times, as their brass has typically been the B corps' strong suit

- SCV Cadets have a solid technical program, but their program design doesn't make it easy for the crowd to show their appreciation. There are some moments where I really want to hear the hornline unleash their power (I know they've got it in 'em), but they stay controlled the entire time...almost to a fault. This leads to a FEELING (not in reality) of lack of energy, which could ultimately cost them the edge they'd need to win it.

- Jersey Surf is huge, and they've got a killer guard program. They sound great and have awesome field coverage. However, I think their Achilles heel will be their marching performance and their musical programming. Not that they had a BAD design--but I think when compared to the programs of BDB and SCVC, they'll have to rely solely on performance quality to gain the winning edge. They can win it, but I think it may rely on a performance let down from BDB and/or SCVC.

- I wasn't too shocked by Teal Sound's drop to 5th based on today's performance. Their opening is one of the most chill-inducing moments in drum corps this season--in ANY division. But after that opening hit, the show really struggles to match the intensity and strong coordination displayed in the opening. That lack in design consistency as well as technical issues with the performance, I think, kept them down today. They can move back up to 4th if they have a stronger performance tomorrow, but I don't think they'll challenge for a medal.

I was really impressed overall by the corps I saw though, even though I may sound negative in my comments above!