World Class Quarterfinals Discussion Thread

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that we see the whole show, whereas there are 9 judges each (supposedly) looking at a different aspect. That being said, and to reiterate, the visual scores are ridiculous! They should not be a point back...

Well, I wish that were true. Even the GE Vis judge tonight said he didnt just watch visual, but also factored music into his judging as well (not verbatim, but something to that effect). Probably not the smartest thing to say on a live broadcast, but it comes as no suprise. Just makes me wonder how many other captions this is factored into.

Overall, a great night of Drum Corps! While I dont agree with all of the scores, we would be silly to think anything else would have happened. More of the same old same old....

Quick thoughts on the night (cinecast):

- This years finalists will be phenomenal!

- HOLY TROOPERS! Awesome Show!

- Madison and Crossmen were both much cleaner than Glassmen, really suprised by the spread

- Bluecoats horn block......I was glad I brought and extra pair of shorts......one of the best brass moments tonight!

- SCV's drill is ridiculous! They are marching the hell out of it!

- Cadets....George said it all. The corps proper is incredible, the execution of the concept was weak. Looking forward to Holy Name in 09.

- LOVED Crowns show, but felt the lead into the ending is weak (which is weird for a show based on endings). I think they've pretty much topped out score wise, but they have earned the right to be considered a top echelon corps!

- I'm a Regiment homer, so I'll just say that the show was absolutely phenomenal! I only wish I could see it live.

- Cavies feel safe. Safe music, safe drill, very little GE or impact points. Visual performance is remarkable though.

- BD is performing at a level I havent seen from them in years. That guard is mesmerizing!

- And what on earth is up with 4 perfect 10's in the Visual Caption? Should anyone really deserve a "perfect" score?

- I do think that the fact that PR went on 4th from last, forced the judges into scoring the others significantly lower than usual. I was afraid BD would pop out a 98 with Cavies in the mid 97's, which is what typically happens at the top on quarters night. It will be interesting to see how things pan out tomorrow with those 3 fillng up the final spots.

Dave

Phantom Regiment Sop 98-01

Edited by dgilday

Anyone else notice the guard soloist toward the end of Colts show. It really did not look like she had much on underneath her outfit....

Didn't look like it... she was quite pretty though.

Oh, I didn't mind :smile:

Didn't look like it... she was quite pretty though.

Oh, I didn't mind :smile:

First time I thought, "no that couldn't be." Second time was like, this is no longer a family show.

PIX 2 CONFIRM PLOX

Maybe I should look at a picture, but since we're even questioning it, shouldn't that be an issue in censorship? Leaving 5 year old jimmy wondering about the female anatomy? At a dci show? :smile:

thoughts from the top row center in the Harrisburg theater:

Spirit...how can i buy one of the 4 flags? a friend will love it. other than that, yawn. kids did well, but the vehicle bleh.

Colts...came off good, but show still seems to crawl.

Madison...en fuego. deserved!

Crossmen.....did you guys lose your soul when you moved? two years of shows that just dont reach a level of emotion that can help you.

Glassmen: fun show, guard sells it well.

Boston...more energy than i thought in allentown, very intense, but something's missing.

Blue Stars....great addition with the bike. drumline seems better than 14th. adjust that number, the gaps opens up

Bk.....god...please entertain me some year.

Coats...brought it tonight. Boxer chorale out of this world. the Mickey voice inaudible often, and liked the intro without Michael Buffer. drumline stupid sick. boxer dancing...not so much

SCV.....fire tonight, SCV passion. now, write a show that can be fully achieved.

Cadets...loved the ending as you have it. Sarah and the narrator dont do a good job of selling when the talking isnt happening. looks badly acted.

Crown...loved em, and so did the theater, but on the screen, the extra oomph seemed missing til the very end.

Phantom.....should have won. awesome

cavies......wasnt thrilled live, less thrilled on the screen.

BD...liked it, thought it was a tight 2nd

IMO, poor micing on the field...made many drumlines sound dirty when you know it wasn't.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta