Star of Indiana 1993

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather watch Star '86 instead of '93.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, actually it was. In fact, it was determined before the season even began...that's right - well before a single show had been performed. Trust me.....I know this better than anyone sans Jim Mason himself. When Nick and I flew to Tampa Bay before the season began in order to record with the Canadian Brass, one of the CB errantly mentioned to me that he "looked forward to playing with us in the future". It seemed a little odd at the time, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense and it was completely 100% validated that this was indeed how things went down. Anyone claiming that Star "quit" DCI due to our 2nd place finish in '93 can officially STFU. I can guarantee you that it was pre-determined, well in advance of the '93 season. End of discussion.....I'm quite honestly tired of addressing this, so please feel free to reference this "official", and first-hand account for all such inquiries. The myth, the mystery, the speculation....it is no more. The fact that this particular year is even still a topic is, on one hand, admittedly flattering....and at the same time, it's actually quite pathetic.

"Thanks for playing" :smile:

star did quit DCI fact but not because of second place in 1993 but because they did not get along with DCI, didn't like the fans and thought they should have won more than they did -worked well for them in a way, depends upon what you think the point of star was - good for the ego, and good for fattening the pocket book while pimping out the ‘kids’ that hung on from a former non-profit educational program (yes, they kids did get paid something and the show was profitable)

I saw Star 93 a ton that year and I saw it for what it was, and their fans made it clear to me what it was, never forget a Star Mom at DCM that I sat next too as she also told me what it was….a kiss off to DCI. Do you understand irony Star 93 worshippers?

So is it fair to say Star 93 would not have happened had they not decided to leave DCI? And what was the corps intent initially with this program?

I was at finals in 93, I didn’t like either Cadets of Star’s show, both were somewhat similar, both were preformed better than all the other corps, having no horse in the race, Cadets won on finals night IMO, Star was better in semi’s - I was bored

It always bugs me how Star folks dance around this issue and say we left DCI before second place, which is true but you did leave DCI and too often you allow the blame to be put on the fans for your corps own actions - You left DCI because you didn’t agree with DCI results, managements and general direction, because you were the front runners of today’s entitlement generation, because profits are cooler than non profits (for those with the deep(er) pockets and Because you negotiated a deal to bootlick the Canadian brass (I don’t even buy the use of opportunity – you went out and brokered it activity)

overall star did more harm to DCI / drum corps than they did good (and their owner had done a ton of good in DCI prior)

I don’t want to see a Star alumni corps, you left DCI so stay gone

Star, on the other hand was devoid of almost any emotion, obtuse, and unreachable. It was a crashing bore.

Since when is anger not an emotion? I don't know which show you were watching.

star did quit DCI fact but not because of second place in 1993 but because they did not get along with DCI, didn't like the fans and thought they should have won more than they did -worked well for them in a way, depends upon what you think the point of star was - good for the ego, and good for fattening the pocket book while pimping out the ‘kids’ that hung on from a former non-profit educational program (yes, they kids did get paid something and the show was profitable)

I saw Star 93 a ton that year and I saw it for what it was, and their fans made it clear to me what it was, never forget a Star Mom at DCM that I sat next too as she also told me what it was….a kiss off to DCI. Do you understand irony Star 93 worshippers?

So is it fair to say Star 93 would not have happened had they not decided to leave DCI? And what was the corps intent initially with this program?

I was at finals in 93, I didn’t like either Cadets of Star’s show, both were somewhat similar, both were preformed better than all the other corps, having no horse in the race, Cadets won on finals night IMO, Star was better in semi’s - I was bored

It always bugs me how Star folks dance around this issue and say we left DCI before second place, which is true but you did leave DCI and too often you allow the blame to be put on the fans for your corps own actions - You left DCI because you didn’t agree with DCI results, managements and general direction, because you were the front runners of today’s entitlement generation, because profits are cooler than non profits (for those with the deep(er) pockets and Because you negotiated a deal to bootlick the Canadian brass (I don’t even buy the use of opportunity – you went out and brokered it activity)

overall star did more harm to DCI / drum corps than they did good (and their owner had done a ton of good in DCI prior)

I don’t want to see a Star alumni corps, you left DCI so stay gone

:smile:

:smile:

<SIGH>

Alright. I'll just make this quick. While there might be some validity to a handfull of your statements, your broad brush approach leaves one with no choice but to discount nearly all of the post. Not to mention that there seems to be some hard feelings that are influencing the opinion.

Sure Star was one organization, but there were a ton of individuals involved. Each had their own level of influence and their own story. To lay a singular motivation seems a little misguided.

Edited by mingusmonk

Please expand on this point, So all the movement you see in DCI, the percussion arranging style, the paradigm shift that occured, the fact that Star 93 is mentioned by pondits along with other shows like Garfield 83/84, SCV 79, etc.....You telling me that they did more harm than good? Are you high!!??!

Alright. I'll just make this quick. While there might be some validity to a handfull of your statements, your broad brush approach leaves one with no choice but to discount nearly all of the post. Not to mention that there seems to be some hard feelings that are influencing the opinion.

I just don’t like the deification of Star myth and many Star folks still perpetuate it, understandably, by tackling the equally obnoxious myth that they left DCI because of second place in 93 without adding the rest of the story or saying how Star felt about DCI prior or why they might want to leave beyond blaming the fans' reaction. they were other reason beyond the fans. How did Star get along within DCI/ What did they think of the workings of DCI? What was their attuitude towards DCI? Yep, those kinds of things

Sure Star was one organization, but there were a ton of individuals involved. Each had their own level of influence and their own story. To lay a singular motivation seems a little misguided.

I didn't lay to a 'singular motivation' I offered several and there are even more than I listed plus I don't know how they were all weighed against each other - so I agree but I think the point of your statement was to dismiss this entire post, kind of like your hard feelings quip

hey, I just want to get it straight, there are more than one, white washed side to this tale -fact is Star left DCI, get it, they blew DCI off. good bye

edit to fix quote box

Edited by cowtown

Please expand on this point, So all the movement you see in DCI, the percussion arranging style, the paradigm shift that occured, the fact that Star 93 is mentioned by pondits along with other shows like Garfield 83/84, SCV 79, etc.....You telling me that they did more harm than good? Are you high!!??!

No, I’m not high; do you think people that hold a different opinion from you must be on drugs? That seems odd

You are dwelling upon the design of their show, my comment was directed more to the business, operational model of their corps. The pay to play and be paid to play, national uber bando model they helped usher it – to be fair, it would have probably come in anyway and they just speed it up, but maybe not. It really help kill regional, smaller, hometown corps

No, I'm not high; do you think people that hold a different opinion from you must be on drugs? That seems odd

You are dwelling upon the design of their show, my comment was directed more to the business, operational model of their corps. The pay to play and be paid to play, national uber bando model they helped usher it – to be fair, it would have probably come in anyway and they just speed it up, but maybe not. It really help kill regional, smaller, hometown corps

Point taken...may have overacted a bit. Thx for the clarification.

However, if I had to choose between opinions you express and facts brought upon by Medeabrass since he was in the corps, I guess I go with facts. I'm having a hard time buying into what you are saying because it seems to based on speculation and opinions. So what if they left DCI, so what if they weren't down with how DCI ran things. It happens. DCI got started because of the same exact reason you stated as to why Star left. Now that's Irony. I'm sure there's few folks who out there who are bitter about DCI forming and resulting w/ the VFW drum corps model dying off. Another way to look at is that they may have been right with how DCI ran things. Look what happen in the mid to late 90's with DCI. Attendance hit an all time low, etc. DCI survived.