This is NOT

....but seriously, with yet another last place finish, why doesn't this corps compete in open class? What is the incentive for them to come out and get last place EVERY YEAR in world class???

Because you just don't get it. It isn't always about placement. The incentive is they are a traditional corps that likes to do it old school, and that is just fine with me. This corps gets better every season and I always enjoy seeing them perform.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer has been competitive in the past and they will be moving up in placements again one day. Things go in cycles. I for one am committed to helping recruit more members for them. I had my best junior corps experience with them, and I know that kids that go there are taken care of. I almost marched at Crossmen in 1998, (awesome show, BTW!) but don't regret going to Pioneer one bit. I made friends that I am still in touch with, learned a heck of a lot about being a better player and marcher, and today I am very, very proud to wear my Pioneer jacket. You have to remember that in drum corps, there are varying degrees of excellence, and the last place corps is still pretty d*** good.

Shane

Very interesting thread. I am a big fan of Mandarins, and would love to be a fan of Pio. I got to see them live last year in Pasadena, and I loved the show! (Since I don't have $$$ to my name, fan network is out of the question for me.) However, I still root for the 15-20 corps, maybe even more so than I do for the 1-5 corps. My beloved Phantom included.

Why? Because, I can't tell you enough how much I love watching the hard work and achievment from these corps! I have watched Mandarins grow this year. Their membership was about 10% veterans... and 90% brand spankin new high school students. And the progress they made all season was amazing! People keep asking why these two corps don't go back to Open Class...

Well... The paycheck from DCI, the better housing, the better show sites, the better judges, bigger crowds??? The list keeps going! Not to mention the fact of the Div one, I mean, World Class corps experience.

I wonder how many people even watched Pio and Mandarins this year??? As far as I can tell, many people are much more excited to watch the lot than to go in and actually see what these two wonderful, and FINANCIALLY SOUND, corps are pulling off.

MY HAT OFF to Pio and Mandarins. :satisfied:

When all is said and done, it still must be very difficult for all concerned at Pioneer to take last place show after show, year after year. This cycle of last place finishes must be going on now for perhaps as many as 6 or 7 years. Not much of an incentive for new members to join or current members to stay with the organization. Yet year after year they they are ready to compete. The question is, how much longer can they continue under the present cycle? Better luck next year, I guess.

If every corps that got last place every year moved to Open Class there would be no World Class after long. There's always room for improvement. They may have their prime. Drum Corps isn't going anywhere.