The official "Phantom wins!" topic!

Congratulations to Phantom. You have earned this with a show that is truly worthy.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can all finally bury Reliable Rondo's saying: "the best corps to never win" for good, now.

When was the last time a corps moved up each night from third to first?

Never. It's never been done. In fact, I don't think any corps has ever won Semis and lost Finals. When they had Prims and then Finals, maybe, but not since the Quarter/Semi/Final format has been used.

Congratu-freaking-lations PR. I could have been there tonight and I will regret it for the rest of my life. All I know is that there better be some recording of the score announcement.

Edited by zmalsom

Never. It's never been done. In fact, I don't think any corps has ever won Semis and lost Finals. When they went to Prelims, maybe, but not since the Quarter/Semi/Final format has been used.

Congratu-freaking-lations PR. I could have been there tonight and I will regret it for the rest of my life. All I know is that there better be some recording of the score announcement.

the last time the semifinals winner lost finals was in 1983, the last year of the tick system.

Congrats to Phantom Regiment, of course. Congrats to the dude who did their drill!! Did I not read before the season started that the guy who did their drill was young and given a lead position, with little experience, relative to others in the visual field?

Also, Rick Valenzuela. Great job.

"...and in second place with a score of 98.1...Blue Devils"

at that moment i jumped out of my seat and couldn't feel my legs. total and utter shock set in. it lasted all the way through the rest of the ceremonies, encore and drive to the hotel.

it finally hit me on the way back. i listened to the Regiment's ballads and hymns cd...the last song came on, Amazing Grace. i started bawling like a baby.

it feels so good.

as a Phan, I mean this with best intentions and no disrespect...

SUTA!!!

Edited by chaos001

Yes this was the closest Finals ever. 0.025 was the winning margin. There have been four instances of wins by 0.1 - '93, '87, '84, and '78. Keep in mind the scoring system changes though. Also this is the first time that the winner of the Semis or Prelims has not taken the championship since SCV beat BD in Prelims and Garfield beat BD in Finals in '83.

We all know that this the first clean win by PR, with their only other win coming in '96 with a tie with BD. There is some symmetry in that.

One final note. Other than the tie, the closest that PR ever came was in '78 when they tied SCV in Prelims and then lost to SCV by 0.1 in Finals.

Congratulations PR. This was a show that will stand the test of time in many ways. The best word to describe this vistory is EPIC.