Terrible version of America

I'm offended that BEATRIX, an over seas corps from the netherlands, were forced to play America at Allentown.

I'm offended that they were able to play it better than some of our own World Class corps at Finals.

How embarrassing. :worthy:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last night also, and yes I head a few bad notes during "America" - that sounded like they were bad on purpose from a Blue Devil - but you absolutely cannot label an entire organization that runs as smooth as silk and is the most successful in DCI history as classless because of that. While unfortunate for the audience, this young person was probably either letting off steam after a year of hard work or letting out disappointment, but that doesn't even make that person classless, much less an entire organization. I think it was an unfortunate choice, but I didn't let it spoil the moment.

I think the top 12 were excellent this year, and while I thought Phantom had the best show, I really felt that any of the top 4 could have won and nobody could have had a legitimate argument.

Offensive playing during America is just one of many reasons that BD is classless.

I was there, and was very disappointed in the playing of America by the Blue Devils.

it wasn't only BD being dumb

cavaliers entering the field like they were walking the tight rope poking fun of BD?

bluecoats OBNOXIOUS hold over of america!?

being loosey goosey is ok, since its some corps style, but dont be tools.

on another note, i felt kind of bad that the cadets didnt get to watch the video being played, all the other corps that stand completely still like them got to turn their heads and watch. oh well, thanks for being you cadets, looking forward to an awesome show from you next year!

I was there last night and heard the BD trumpets playing wrong notes at the beginning, middle, and end of "America". Other fans around me heard it also, and were disgusted by it. I realize it was just a select few individuals, but it reflects poorly on the BD organization. It just does.

it wasn't only BD being dumb

cavaliers entering the field like they were walking the tight rope poking fun of BD?

bluecoats OBNOXIOUS hold over of america!?

being loosey goosey is ok, since its some corps style, but dont be tools.

on another note, i felt kind of bad that the cadets didnt get to watch the video being played, all the other corps that stand completely still like them got to turn their heads and watch. oh well, thanks for being you cadets, looking forward to an awesome show from you next year!

After marching with Cadets for 8 years (00-07), I can say that on finals night 07 I only considered for a split second messing around with America/O Canada or whatever it ended up being called for my last little "hoo-rah" of the season. After that split second, I decided that it would be the most UN-Cadet thing to do, as I wanted to age-out with as few blemishes in my mind as possible.

Also, Cadets pride themselves on being able to be disciplined through all the chaos that goes on during finals retreat (and any other retreats, when they existed). We are there with a job to do, an image to uphold, and a history to represent. And we hold that true all the way back to the parking lot.

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

I'm not sure if we know that it was actually BD. . .yes I think the beginning might have been, but I've been told that the obnoxiuous notes at the end were actually from BK. There's a video on 'the evil' site that is shot right in front of them and it definitely sounds like it is coming from their block.

BD played pretty gross, but there was also something very obnoxious coming from the right side around BK - I won't swear it was them. Basically, once the piece ended you could hear that line playing random notes for a good 10-15 seconds longer. Totally inappropriate, IMO.

Exactly. People need to learn to distinguish between "laid back" and rude.

Standing still does NOT = class.

I saw the Cavies shake Phantom's hands and I thought that was great but that doesn't make up for all the goofing off during retreat.

Hate to be flip, but I honestly think I'd be more bothered by the whole "taking liberties with the music" thing if we were talking about a better arrangement of the song.

The arranger took so many liberties to begin with, I find it hard to criticize the performers for joining in on the act.

That's not saying anything else about any other behavior that I didn't witness.

After marching with Cadets for 8 years (00-07), I can say that on finals night 07 I only considered for a split second messing around with America/O Canada or whatever it ended up being called for my last little "hoo-rah" of the season. After that split second, I decided that it would be the most UN-Cadet thing to do, as I wanted to age-out with as few blemishes in my mind as possible.

Also, Cadets pride themselves on being able to be disciplined through all the chaos that goes on during finals retreat (and any other retreats, when they existed). We are there with a job to do, an image to uphold, and a history to represent. And we hold that true all the way back to the parking lot.

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

I understand what you are saying, but it was actually paying tribute to the members. The videos was for the members. Every corps turned to face the screen. I am all for discipline, but let kids be kids some times. No one was goofing off during this moment in any corps. I felt bad for the cadets kids during this part of retreat. The entire stadium, crowd and corps watched the video, except cadets kids. They missed out.