Terrible version of America

I think we can all appreciate that the only corps that never moved/did anything disrespectful whatsoever was The Cadets. I'm sure they weren't happy about their placement (nor should they be), but they acted like they were in uniform until the whole corps marched far enough away from the field so that no fans could see them. I thought Madison was going to be the only other corps like that, but it ended up only being The Cadets. The respect/maturity/professionalism was refreshing.

You are correct that the Cadets looked good during retreat, however, your use of the word "only" is a bit much. I recall watching across the field toward Madison and noticing they were locked down throughout. In fact, they didn't even turn their heads to watch the video while it was played, at least that was how it looked from where I sat.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After marching with Cadets for 8 years (00-07), I can say that on finals night 07 I only considered for a split second messing around with America/O Canada or whatever it ended up being called for my last little "hoo-rah" of the season. After that split second, I decided that it would be the most UN-Cadet thing to do, as I wanted to age-out with as few blemishes in my mind as possible.

Also, Cadets pride themselves on being able to be disciplined through all the chaos that goes on during finals retreat (and any other retreats, when they existed). We are there with a job to do, an image to uphold, and a history to represent. And we hold that true all the way back to the parking lot.

Michael Terry

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

And that's why The Cadets are The Cadets. Well said Mike.

:worthy:

I believe this thread actually contains a possible solution for DCI.

Play America...or whatever mass brass playing song BEFORE they announce the scores. That would end this garbage. What I find amazing is how some people are actually bending over backward to try to defend the actions.

Even if it was "one guy" it doesn't matter. Everything I ever taught in drum corps....everything I ever learned from being associated with drum corps was it is about the "we" and not the "me."

A corps is taught to help lift up those who are are weakest and help them become stronger. Because if our weakest is stronger, the whole corps is stronger.

It appears some....maybe in their final year (one way or another) didn't learn that from drum corps. How unfortunate for them. I feel sad for them actually. They missed one of the most important points about the whole activity.

Play America...or whatever mass brass playing song BEFORE they announce the scores. That would end this garbage. What I find amazing is how some people are actually bending over backward to try to defend the actions.

Even if it was "one guy" it doesn't matter. Everything I ever taught in drum corps....everything I ever learned from being associated with drum corps was it is about the "we" and not the "me."

A corps is taught to help lift up those who are are weakest and help them become stronger. Because if our weakest is stronger, the whole corps is stronger.

It appears some....maybe in their final year (one way or another) didn't learn that from drum corps. How unfortunate for them. I feel sad for them actually. They missed one of the most important points about the whole activity.

Gosh Darn it! You're right. Why don't we find the guilty somnabeotch, take him out back and beat the crap out of him!

It's stupid to think that the kids should just have "fun" by fracking as many notes as possible. America/O' Canada is meant to be a final encore from all 12 corps for the audience. If I were completely new to drum corps and a friend brought me along to watch this, I would not be impressed at all, considering that drum and bugle corps is supposed to be a disciplined activity.

I was at Finals last night and here's my comments/questions:

1) Not everyone was ready when America started. For one, SCV's tubas didn't even have them picked up by the time the song started. (Just an observation)

2) The last note being held over and the additional note after that, I could have sworn came from Bluecoats. I was sitting almost right in front of them, but kinda high up. Whoever it was, very tasteless.

3) I also noticed that (and you can also hear it on the youtube video) there was actually a lot of people that played well after the cut off of America. I can only attribute this to them not being able to see the cut off.

4) I was also very disturbed by the lack of discipline from the kids on the field. It was mentioned that The Cadets didn't move during retreat, but I also thought that SCV and Madison also didn't move. At least every time I looked at them, they weren't moving. Maybe there were others also. This was one of the first things I complained to my wife about when I got home. I explained to her that once you get setup in your block, you are supposed to be called to attention and then parade rest. Once your score is announced, you get called to attention, and then parade rest again. Is it really that hard? And then after all the scores are announced and it is pretty much done, then you can move around and take pictures, etc.

5) Madison's bass line. Not really what the purpose of that was, but hardcore!! Can someone PLEASE find out and tell me what the guy said to them before they finally picked up and left.

That's all.

BTW - SCV is nails during retreat. Just so ya know.

Let's think back to the Madison show this year when a Scout mello ####ed all over the end of AOC- how many of us were saying "Oh, let kids be kids" back then?

Yeah, I thought not.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.... If I were the director, I would have chewed their butts out.

Since I posted in this thread earlier...

If I were the director and could identify the culprits they would NOT be in the corps next year. Even if it meant falling out of the top 10. They embarrassed the uniform.